Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

[quote name='Merton' post='374111' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:01 PM']Just to prove to Alex that I'm able to avoid the telephone better than he, I thought I'd better post here! :huh:

Alex very kindly dropped off the Big One at work today and we had a lovely lunch talking all things bass. This cab is unbelievably light. Bigger than a Trace 1153 but astonishingly light in comparison, it almost feels lighter than my LH500 in its flightcase :)

We were, at first, slightly concerned it wouldn't fit in the boot of my car (04 Ford Focus hatchback) but it does with consummate ease (picture proof later!)

At present the cab has 2 strap handles; Alex went through his ideas for wheels and placement of a third strap handle. Wheels are definitely a luxury rather than a necessity, this cab is so easy to pick up and with the third handle there will be a multitude of carrying options. That said, the wheels will provide that extra transportability (is that a word? it is now!)

The crossover is still the original design; Alex has plans for finishing the new design and fitting it soon, plus a great idea for an L-pad style switch in the middle port - easier to switch in and out from the front than leaning over to the back!

Well, that's about all I can say for now. I cannot wait to get this plugged in and hear it; the rehearsals and gig next week wll be awesome fun![/quote]
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this next week Mert!!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='371876' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:18 PM']Tried in it band practice last night using preshape 1 on the U5 to even out the current midrange hump. Hands down the best live bass sound I have ever heard and incredibly consistent around the room. I did think that The Compact was so good that The Big One might be a lot of extra cost and a fair bit more size for little improvement but it is truly in another league to every other bass cab I have ever used. Depth, fatness, growl, punch, thickness, clarity, the lot! Am dead chuffed.

Alex[/quote]
Alex - are you aware that barefacedBass.com has already been name-checked on the 'Walbassesnaturally' group on Yahoo? Some guy in the states was asking for recommendations from forum members for great lightweight cabs, and you were mentioned...

Just in case anyone is in doubt The Big One wont fit in a 10 yr old BMW 3 series boot, in case it makes any diff to you ;)
Just about goes thru the back door to fit on the back seat though.

Mind you not a lot of bass gear does!!

The two frequency plots are very revealing, proof my ears aren't entirely shot then :P

Cant wait to hear this with the new Xover Alex, I think it'll be staggeringly good for its weight.

[quote name='51m0n' post='376591' date='Jan 11 2009, 07:56 AM']Cant wait to hear this with the new Xover Alex, I think it'll be staggeringly good for its weight.[/quote]
+1. It's astonishingly good already so I can't wait to hear the next iteration ;)

Looks like the new Eminence 12"s are worth using - will be making a mini version of The Big One which will be the same size as The Compact and also a larger version of The Big One for those that want even more output and a 4 ohm load.

The other 12" doesn't have as much bottom as I'd like but will still be a really nice high sensitivity cab for those that want something smaller than The Compact or something even louder (as a 2x12" version) and thanks to its high excursion it will be able to move a lot of bottom, you'll just need to EQ it in that much more.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='384965' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:04 PM']Looks like the new Eminence 12"s are worth using - will be making a mini version of The Big One which will be the same size as The Compact and also a larger version of The Big One for those that want even more output and a 4 ohm load.

The other 12" doesn't have as much bottom as I'd like but will still be a really nice high sensitivity cab for those that want something smaller than The Compact or something even louder (as a 2x12" version) and thanks to its high excursion it will be able to move a lot of bottom, you'll just need to EQ it in that much more.

Alex[/quote]

Awesome news Alex.
I look forward to see how this cab develops...
Will you call it The Medium One?... ;)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='385096' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:57 PM']Will you call it The Medium One?... ;)[/quote]

I think this will be The Big Baby. And then the 2x12"+6.5" The Big Twin, the tiny 12" The Midget, and the compact 2x12" The Midget Twin. What a lot of different models but each one will have its own niche!

Alex

[quote name='johnnylager' post='388571' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:38 PM']I did this in Amsterdam - I wouldn't do it again.[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388574' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:39 PM']Don't you already have one and a second impending? ;)

Alex[/quote]
Excellent, I set 'em up, you boys knock 'em in. Keep them coming!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388560' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:28 PM']I think this will be The Big Baby. And then the 2x12"+6.5" The Big Twin, the tiny 12" The Midget, and the compact 2x12" The Midget Twin. What a lot of different models but each one will have its own niche!

Alex[/quote]

Really cool ideas Alex!
These all sound amazing, maybe a Midget Twin might end being up my street, either that or The Big Baby.
I love the sound of 12" speakers.
Are any of these units going to be 4 Ohm?

How soon do you think you'll have the designs on these worked up?

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='388620' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:22 PM']Really cool ideas Alex!
These all sound amazing, maybe a Midget Twin might end being up my street, either that or The Big Baby.
I love the sound of 12" speakers.
Are any of these units going to be 4 Ohm?

How soon do you think you'll have the designs on these worked up?[/quote]

Any cabs with two woofers will be 4 ohm, the rest will be 8 ohm.

In terms of bottom the cabs go: Midget << Compact & Vintage << Big One & Big Baby & Big Twin
In terms of voltage sensitivity the cabs go: Big Baby < Midget < Big One < Compact < Big Twin < Midget Twin < Vintage
In terms of max LF SPL the cabs go: Midget < Compact < Big Baby < Midget Twin < Big One < Vintage < Big Twin
In terms of max broadband SPL the cabs go: Big Baby < Midget < Compact < Big One < Midget Twin < Big Twin < Vintage

The Big One and The Big Baby are aimed at those that want maximum bottom and punch and clarity and off-axis response.
The Compact is aimed at those that want a cab that has maximum output for the weight and price, good bottom, very good sensitivity.
The Midget is aimed at those that want a smaller version of The Compact - it has less bottom naturally it'll take EQ very well to get that bottom back.
The Midget Twin is aimed at those that want a really loud lightweight cab, even louder than The Compact but are willing to compromise on bottom - a Schroeder killer! ;)
The Big Twin is aimed at those that want a Big One but want a 4 ohm load to get more from their amp, are scared of 15" speakers or want a bit more max SPL than The Big One.

I'll also be making The Big Sub and The Baby Sub (basically The Big One and The Big Baby without the midrange but still with the lowpass filtering on the woofers) for those that want an expandable rig. I suppose I could also make a Big Twin Sub for mad/deaf people...

The designs shouldn't take too long as I've done the hard part in getting the previous models and the crossover sorted. The more pertinent question is how long until the speakers arrive this side of the pond?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388641' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:46 PM']Any cabs with two woofers will be 4 ohm, the rest will be 8 ohm.

In terms of bottom the cabs go: Midget << Compact & Vintage << Big One & Big Baby & Big Twin
In terms of voltage sensitivity the cabs go: Big Baby < Midget < Big One < Compact < Big Twin < Midget Twin < Vintage
In terms of max LF SPL the cabs go: Midget < Compact < Big Baby < Midget Twin < Big One < Vintage < Big Twin
In terms of max broadband SPL the cabs go: Big Baby < Midget < Compact < Big One < Midget Twin < Big Twin < Vintage

The Big One and The Big Baby are aimed at those that want maximum bottom and punch and clarity and off-axis response.
The Compact is aimed at those that want a cab that has maximum output for the weight and price, good bottom, very good sensitivity.
The Midget is aimed at those that want a smaller version of The Compact - it has less bottom naturally it'll take EQ very well to get that bottom back.
The Midget Twin is aimed at those that want a really loud lightweight cab, even louder than The Compact but are willing to compromise on bottom - a Schroeder killer! ;)
The Big Twin is aimed at those that want a Big One but want a 4 ohm load to get more from their amp, are scared of 15" speakers or want a bit more max SPL than The Big One.

I'll also be making The Big Sub and The Baby Sub (basically The Big One and The Big Baby without the midrange but still with the lowpass filtering on the woofers) for those that want an expandable rig. I suppose I could also make a Big Twin Sub for mad/deaf people...

The designs shouldn't take too long as I've done the hard part in getting the previous models and the crossover sorted. The more pertinent question is how long until the speakers arrive this side of the pond?

Alex[/quote]

Wow Alex,
That's a fairly broad spectrum of cabs, but all with a well thought out niche in the market - Nice work.
Still reckon either a Midget Twin or more likely a Big Baby would suit me well, as decent off axis response would be very handy given the varying sizes of stages and venues my band ends up playing.

When will you have an idea of sizes, weight, prices etc.?

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='388691' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:21 PM']Still reckon either a Midget Twin or more likely a Big Baby would suit me well, as decent off axis response would be very handy given the varying sizes of stages and venues my band ends up playing.

When will you have an idea of sizes, weight, prices etc.?[/quote]

Midget Twin should be the same size as the Big One whilst Big Baby should be the same size as The Compact. Similar weights too. Price-wise, expect the new 12" models to cost about the same as the equivalent 15" models currently do (i.e. Big Baby = Big One, Midget = Compact, Midget Twin = Vintage) though the 15"s will be going up in price about £30 per woofer due to the plummeting GBP vs USD once I run out of my current stock of speakers.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388707' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:32 PM']Midget Twin should be the same size as the Big One whilst Big Baby should be the same size as The Compact. Similar weights too. Price-wise, expect the new 12" models to cost about the same as the equivalent 15" models currently do (i.e. Big Baby = Big One, Midget = Compact, Midget Twin = Vintage) though the 15"s will be going up in price about £30 per woofer due to the plummeting GBP vs USD once I run out of my current stock of speakers.

Alex[/quote]

Nice one!
I imagine you might see an Aguilar 112 appear in the For Sale section when you can get your mitts on the 12" drivers...

Eude

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='389757' date='Jan 23 2009, 04:26 PM']What difference does the damping of solid state amps vs. lack thereof of valve amps make to these then. The Vintage seems on my wishlist and I've just been reading the valve vs. SS thread.[/quote]

Damping factor is a very confusing thing indeed. Many bassists believe that valve amps work much better with sealed cabs due to the allegedly better transient response however I'm not convinced it's the sealed cab that is the relevant factor but the specific choice of speakers. When bassists refer to sealed cabs having quicker response in the lows (usually claiming that it's more highly damped due to the cushion of air behind the speakers acting as a spring) they fail to consider that with any speaker has its own damping caused by the suspension and the motor and it is this damping that makes the largest difference in the decay of the pulse response (in addition to the voice coil inductance which affects the leading edge of the pulse). When you get into the lower frequency register the room acoustics have far far more effect upon transient response than the cabinet alignment does.

One thing however that tends to be fairly consistent amongst sealed bass guitar cabs is that the frequency response starts drooping from above 100Hz and smoothly rolls of at about 12dB per octave. Typical commerical ported bass guitar cabs often have a hump in the 100Hz region due to the speakers being in an undersized box, then a gradual roll-off down to the tuning frequency and then a steeper roll-off of 24dB/oct below the tuning frequency. I have a strong suspicion that this hump around 100Hz can cause ported cabs to sound boomy at times with valve amps. I do believe that low damping factor rears its ugly head when it comes to control of cone excursion in the lowest frequencies - in a ported cab the woofers unload and excursion vastly increases below the tuning frequency and although you won't directly hear the output from this cone excursion you will hear the harmonic distortion it causes to the rest of the sound.

If you've survived all this techy stuff thus far let me explain how The Vintage is designed to solve this. Firstly, the woofer I use is very tightly damped itself and its characteristics mean than in the enclosure I use you only get a small hump at 100Hz with the standard tuning. If you use the 2nd tuning (block 1/3 of the port) you have no hump around 100Hz and the roll-off is more gentle - less fatness to the bottom, and a quicker sound. So if the standard tuning sounds at all boomy there is an easy fix. If even that sounds boomy the 3rd tuning lowers the tuning frequency so low that the cab effectively sounds like a sealed cab but with the additional power handling and sensiitivity of a ported cab. The final piece of the puzzle is that the woofers have such good excursion limited power handling that even with the highest tuning frequency you are unlikely to cause noticeable distortion due to a valve amps lack of low frequency cone control and with the two lower tunings over-excursion related distortion will be even lower. (You might ask why not do this triple-tuning with The Compact? Well, you could but with a smaller cab you don't have as much leeway with tuning choices as you do with a large cab which has twice the power handling and more sensitivity - muchlike small sealed cabs don't really work, they need to be big!)

Alex