Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

Saw this photo on another thread earlier... interesting to see the innards of the Compact on show! I'm teetering on the edge of ordering one now- don't suppose there are any still available from the new batch Alex? PM me if you prefer... :)

+1!

I ordered the second-last one (I believe) of Alex's latest batch a few days ago- can't wait to get my hands on it! Those finished cabs look great with their new badges too...

I'm planning to A/B the incoming Compact at gigging volume against my recently-acquired Genz Benz NEOX-212T, using my GB Shuttle 6.0 as the test head. I'm going to borrow a friend's rehearsal studio for an evening so that I can crank both cabs up and give them a workout!

375W into an 8ohm Neo 15" [b]V[/b] 600W into a 4ohm Neo 2x12"- the results should be interesting! :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='449133' date='Mar 29 2009, 03:29 PM']+1!

I ordered the second-last one (I believe) of Alex's latest batch a few days ago- can't wait to get my hands on it! Those finished cabs look great with their new badges too...

I'm planning to A/B the incoming Compact at gigging volume against my recently-acquired Genz Benz NEOX-212T, using my GB Shuttle 6.0 as the test head. I'm going to borrow a friend's rehearsal studio for an evening so that I can crank both cabs up and give them a workout!

375W into an 8ohm Neo 15" [b]V[/b] 600W into a 4ohm Neo 2x12"- the results should be interesting! :)[/quote]

I'll be [i]very[/i] interested to hear your results!

Come on Alex, get your web site photos updated, it's your SHOP WINDOW !

You've got the badges, get them on your cabs and show off their indentity !

Twas just a though !

Played my first rehearsal with my new band last night, running through an Eden Nemesis NS-115 cab. That cab has always been enough for rehearsals and jam nights previously, but last night it just wasn't working for me. I spent the whole evening fiddling with settings on the amp and trying the cab in different places but I could only hear myself in the mix by turning up the volume to the point where I was starting to get farty noises from the speaker. :)

I also spent the whole evening thinking "This ain't gonna happen when I get a Big One", even if I may have to re-name the cab before introducing it to my friends. :rolleyes:

Seeing as April starts tomorrow Alex, how's it looking? :D ;) :lol:

The best review would be to bring a selection of cabs to the next Bass Bash and let everyone test them with the wide range of Amps, Basses and playing styles available along with side by side comparisons with other cabs too

One persons opinion is good but a 'group test' would be very useful for everyone me thinks

. . . Now when is the next Northampton Bass Bash ?

Actually, Alex. I've changed my mind. I've decided that I don't want a Compact after all. Cancel my order. Various reasons, the most significant of which being that I want [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45465"]one of these[/url] instead.

S.P.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='450607' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:31 PM']WHAT?!! Yes, blinding!

By the way, the first vintage look model is going out in this batch - a sideways metal-cornered and fabric-grilled Compact to sit underneath a Fender Bassman.

Alex[/quote]

I think that one is mine.

Steve

[quote name='Adee' post='451229' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:59 AM']The best review would be to bring a selection of cabs to the next Bass Bash and let everyone test them with the wide range of Amps, Basses and playing styles available along with side by side comparisons with other cabs too.[/quote]

Although I will endeavour to do that I don't think it's actually the best test - these cabs all work best in context, so playing in a loud band. A/B comparisons when soloed are all very well and good but at a Bass Bash you can't get these cabs anywhere near loud enough to show how they leave the competition behind.

For instance there are a few nicer 1x15" cabs that at low volume sound fairly similar to The Compact at low SPL and a side-by-side comparison would just make you go "well it sounds as good as that and it's half the weight". But really turn up the volume and the other 15"s give up the ghost whilst the Compact just gets louder and louder and louder. I got to try a Bergantino HT115 at a Bass Bash a while back and it ran out of low frequency power handling at such low SPL compared to the Compact.

Alex