Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

• 1 month later...

Right, all change here at Barefaced!

We've invested in some bespoke composite plywood to lower the weight and increase strength/rigidity of the enclosures, so everything has lost quite a bit of weight. There is a cost implication but I think it's more than worth it.

So new prices:

Compact £450
Big One £675
Vintage £700

First five Midgets will be £375 (these are with the heavier old ply)
Thereafter Midgets will be £425
T'Midget £500
Double Midget £575
T'Double Midget £650

Vintageised look is now standard on the Big One (and the Vintage obviously) with a metal grill a no-cost option.
Vintageised look is a no-cost option on all the other cabs.
White finish is +£25
Custom finish is +£50
Custom grill cloth is +£25
White metal grill is +£25
Custom colour metal grill is +£50

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='591939' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:37 AM']We've invested in some bespoke composite plywood to lower the weight and increase strength/rigidity of the enclosures, so everything has lost quite a bit of weight. There is a cost implication but I think it's more than worth it.[/quote]

Is the sound quality the same?

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='591979' date='Sep 7 2009, 10:42 AM']Is the sound quality the same?[/quote]

Yes. I could make them lighter still and maintain the tone using more complex composites like foam-core carbon-fibre but that would massively increase the cost (like double or triple it)!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='591992' date='Sep 7 2009, 11:05 AM']Yes. I could make them lighter still and maintain the tone using more complex composites like foam-core carbon-fibre but that would massively increase the cost (like double or triple it)![/quote]
That should absolutely be an option. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='591998' date='Sep 7 2009, 11:19 AM']That should absolutely be an option. :)[/quote]

Tempted though I'm sure some would be to spend £2K+ on a single bass cab, I don't want Mastercard and Visa to have the opportunity to earn so much interest off over-stretched bassists! Right now I'm pretty certain I've hit the sweetspot for cost vs performance.

Alex

[quote name='davidmpires' post='592160' date='Sep 7 2009, 03:30 PM']How light/thin can you go until you start to affect the durability and the strenght of the cab? The wood is put through so much presure inside. I'm sure one can only go so thin...[/quote]

We haven't gone any thinner, we've gone to a special ply with harder denser outer plies and less dense softer inner plies, with markedly reduced voids. I've wanted to use something like this from the start but it required quite a bit of investment. I wouldn't want to go any thinner as the next size down is a lot thinner percentage-wise and the amount of bracing you'll have to add will offset the amount of weight you'd save on the panels. With plywood construction I don't believe it'll be possible to save any noticeable weight compared to the new cabs. A cheaper neo driver could save some weight but it'll cost you on performance.

My guess is a 15% total weight saving - I'll verify this when I find my scales...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='592170' date='Sep 7 2009, 03:42 PM']We haven't gone any thinner, we've gone to a special ply with harder denser outer plies and less dense softer inner plies, with markedly reduced voids. I've wanted to use something like this from the start but it required quite a bit of investment. I wouldn't want to go any thinner as the next size down is a lot thinner percentage-wise and the amount of bracing you'll have to add will offset the amount of weight you'd save on the panels. With plywood construction I don't believe it'll be possible to save any noticeable weight compared to the new cabs. A cheaper neo driver could save some weight but it'll cost you on performance.

My guess is a 15% total weight saving - I'll verify this when I find my scales...

Alex[/quote]

Sounds similar to the ply in Markbass and Epifani cabs. Conversely the Berg AE series use thinner material to lose weight (and Neo drivers natch).

[quote name='51m0n' post='592174' date='Sep 7 2009, 03:45 PM']Sounds similar to the ply in Markbass and Epifani cabs. Conversely the Berg AE series use thinner material to lose weight (and Neo drivers natch).[/quote]

From what I know of Markbass and Epifani UL Series 1 they are/were using poplar ply, not a dual density composite. I think the new Epifani DIST cabs have gone to thin baltic birch and more bracing. Not sure what the AE use, they've certainly gone to thinner ply. Compared to all their drivers mine are about 2lb heavier per twelve due to the larger motors but you get another 3dB or so of max output in compensation!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='592194' date='Sep 7 2009, 04:14 PM']From what I know of Markbass and Epifani UL Series 1 they are/were using poplar ply, not a dual density composite. I think the new Epifani DIST cabs have gone to thin baltic birch and more bracing. Not sure what the AE use, they've certainly gone to thinner ply. Compared to all their drivers mine are about 2lb heavier per twelve due to the larger motors but you get another 3dB or so of max output in compensation!

Alex[/quote]

As ever, I sit corrected :)

15% on the Compact will mean a reduction of around 2kgs. Considerably light if you think that 2kgs is the weight of my Mark bass. That means a rig that weights 14kgs in total.

That was impossible a couple years ago. I bet that if you walked into a bar in the 80's and said that you have that light a rig they would laugh at you and stick you in spikes.

If the quality of the cab, durability and sound performance is unaffected I think the reduction justifies the price.

It feels weird to be talking and carrying gear so light. I'm the guy with the lightest rig in my band by a very very long shot.

Have finalised the Double Midget design. Bit taller than originally planned and tweeter isn't coax as on the Midget (no need to time-align the woofer for stacking with Compact as it's a 4 ohm standalone cab and maximising internal volume to get as much LF sensitivity as possible, whilst with the Midget it's been more about power matching with the Compact). Almost a conventional cab - but done better! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='595003' date='Sep 10 2009, 05:41 PM']Have finalised the Double Midget design. Bit taller than originally planned and tweeter isn't coax as on the Midget (no need to time-align the woofer for stacking with Compact as it's a 4 ohm standalone cab and maximising internal volume to get as much LF sensitivity as possible, whilst with the Midget it's been more about power matching with the Compact). Almost a conventional cab - but done better! :)

Alex[/quote]

Hi Alex,

Have you had time to try out the Midget/Compact pairing at a gig yet? I'd still like to see photos of a finished Midget on top of a Compact, plus your impressions of the sound. If the overall tonal response is much different from a solo Compact I might still go for a pair of Compacts, but that would probably be overkill for most of my gigs.

Cheers
Mike

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='620320' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:20 AM']Have weighed the new Compact and thanks to the magic composite ply it comes in at 26lb or 12kg.[/quote]

[size=1]No-one else seems to have made this joke, so I think I will...[/size]

How much would it cost to get the new ply retrofitted onto my Compact?

S.P.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='621755' date='Oct 9 2009, 03:02 PM']I have the very first complete Midget here! It is most awesome looking and will be coming to the SE Bass Bash tomorrow along with a grill-less brother.

Alex[/quote]

Get your camera out Alex!

• 1 month later...