Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

[quote name='Hamster' post='523095' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:51 PM']You should put a grill across to stop small children crawling inside - but I suppose you could always pop them out with a few low F[sup]#[/sup]'s if they got stuck :)[/quote]

I'd be more worried about hamsters and other dozy rodents: "Dormouse populations were on the increase until a whole tribe moved into a Barefaced loudspeaker cabinet..."

Alex

[quote name='Hamster' post='523095' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:51 PM']....You should put a grill across to stop small children crawling inside....[/quote]
Fact is stranger than....... I had a Mesa Boogie 1x18 which had ports which were about the same size as the Big One and as I unloaded my cab outside the gig one of our cats rushed across the pavement! It had been inside the cab when I loaded it into the car and as I had put the cab face down it hadn't been able to get out!!! I had to grab the bloody thing before it ran into the busy road and take it home! The rest of the band laughed all night!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='523045' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:24 PM']It's 520mm or 20.5" plus the thickness of the finish and the corners, so about 525mm all told.

Couple of shots here with a 19" rack on a Big One: [url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html"]http://www.barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html[/url]

Alex[/quote]
Bit top-heavy then. Burman is 700mm wide.

[quote name='pete.young' post='524134' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:33 PM']Bit top-heavy then. Burman is 700mm wide.[/quote]

That's one reason I made the Vintage 24" wide. Speaking of which I have three of these in my possession, just waiting for final finishing.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='530323' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:14 AM']I've noticed the Barefaced Big One being referred to as the Bigone. That doesn't scan too well, is it a Big one or a Bi gone? So I think henceforth it should be written like this: Barefaced BigOne[/quote]
That won't stick. Camel case never does. How many people (apart from me and probably you, Alex, you anal fella you) actually go to the effort of writing eBay or PayPal? It makes me wince every time I see Ipod or Imac too.

Mind you, don't get me started on people writing MAC when they mean Mac. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='530323' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:14 AM']I've noticed the Barefaced Big One being referred to as the Bigone. That doesn't scan too well, is it a Big one or a Bi gone? So I think henceforth it should be written like this: Barefaced BigOne[/quote]

It won't work. I agree with your sentiment, but trying to get people to refer to your product in a specific way is like pushing kittens uphill. And I prefer "Big One" to "BigOne". SmashingWordsTogetherRemindsMeOfCheesyComputerProgramNames 3.0.

S.P.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='530333' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:23 AM']That won't stick. Camel case never does. How many people (apart from me and probably you, Alex, you anal fella you) actually go to the effort of writing eBay or PayPal? It makes me wince every time I see Ipod or Imac too.

Mind you, don't get me started on people writing MAC when they mean Mac. :)[/quote]

Bwaah count yourself lucky, my day job involves a product called UltraPoS, and yes spell it wrong you get pistol whipped by marketing :rolleyes:

[quote name='51m0n' post='556108' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:02 PM']Bwaah count yourself lucky, my day job involves a product called UltraPoS, and yes spell it wrong you get pistol whipped by marketing :rolleyes:[/quote]
Maybe marketing should have thought about that a bit more: I read that as "Ultra Piece of sh*t". :)

All joking aside, and yes I already own one, but it's still not too late to re-badge this cab, Alex.

The Big One is (IMHO) a marketing embarassment waiting to happen.

Q - What cab do you use?

A - I have a Big One.

Why not re-name it the Barefaced [i][size=3]LaGrande[/size][/i]?

How about calling it "mine is bigger than yours" :)

Now on all seriousness I too think that the names could do with a bit more thought.

Compact - I like it, and I have one
Big One - Not Very Keen on it
Big Baby - Better
Midget - Not too sure
Vintage - Spot on, coolest cab in the market.

Edited by davidmpires

[quote name='alexclaber' post='556184' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:14 PM']Somone on finnbass referred to it as the Big Juan, which amused me.

Am open to suggestions on the name(s). Don't you think La Grande is too similar to the AccuGroove names?

Alex[/quote]

Damn! So you won't go for [i]El Whopper [/i]then?

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='556155' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:46 PM']The Big One is (IMHO) a marketing embarassment waiting to happen.

Q - What cab do you use?

A - I have a Big One.[/quote]
I see that as a reason to own one. Seriously, if I was naming Alex's cabs, I'd probably go for Compact = The Throbber, Big One = The Engorger, Vintage = The Double Throbber, and so on. Or I'd go for silly mythological names like Bahamut or Barghest (that'd be one for a cab with a bit of natural "growl").

I'm obviously not in marketing. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='556114' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:07 PM']Maybe marketing should have thought about that a bit more: I read that as "Ultra Piece of sh*t". :)[/quote]

Nah it stands for UltraPointOfSale, and thats pretty accurate as it goes :rolleyes:

In the circles we work in POS is always PointOfSale, never Piece Of S**t, so in that regard the marketing boys were/are spot on, but the capitalisation drives me up the wall!

[quote name='51m0n' post='556206' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:45 PM']In the circles we work in POS is always PointOfSale, never Piece Of S**t[/quote]
I'm a retailer, so I'm in the same boat, but I always, [i]always[/i] read it as Piece Of S**t first and then have to re-translate. Ironically, whenever we're offered a "free POS display stand with orders over £xxx", it turns out to be a real POS. :) And don't get me started on my ePoS system. Or is it EPoS? Or ePOS? :wacko: Actually, I think they've started calling it a "multi-channel revenue stream enabler" or somesuch to save us the hassle of CamelCase.

[quote name='51m0n' post='556207' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:46 PM']Back on topic:[/quote]
Amen to that.

[quote name='51m0n' post='556207' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:46 PM']The Big One: The Only One (you'll ever need or buy again)[/quote]
In the same vein: the Barefaced Highlander (there can be only one) :rolleyes:

From Wikipaedia:

[i][b]The Big One [/b]may also refer to a megathrust earthquake or other natural disaster ...[/i]

Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls, fellow bassists and music enthusiasts, I give you ...

[b][size=5][color="#8B0000"]The Barefaced Megathrust[/color][/size][/b]

Am not calling it the Highlander - Land Rover almost called the Discovery that and the last thing I want to do is doom it to similar unreliability!

I'd forgotten about the earthquake connection - the name purely came from it being the big one, whilst the Compact was the small one. Confusingly the Vintage now gets referred to as the big box whilst the Big One is the medium box...

If Barefaced Big One is too embarrassing you could refer to it as the Barefaced 15/6.5 (or 15/6 or 156 or fifteen six or maybe the six fifteen or 6:15) - I prefer to avoid using nominal diameters in names simply because it continues that incorrect habit of equating sizes with tones - whilst the Compact is the 115, the Vintage the 215, the Midget the 112, etc.

Alex