Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='357470' date='Dec 18 2008, 12:20 AM']Logo:

Alex[/quote]
I like it! But...I thought the name of the company was Bareface[b]dB[/b]ass - with the d and B in bold - although I guess that'd make for a rather long logo...
Are the letters the raw metal of the badge with a black background?

[quote name='JonnyM' post='358030' date='Dec 18 2008, 04:07 PM']I like it! But...I thought the name of the company was Bareface[b]dB[/b]ass - with the d and B in bold - although I guess that'd make for a rather long logo...[/quote]

Well it was but it doesn't seem to work logo-wise. Typical that after numerous different complicated messings with graphic software I end up with a logo that's taken about 10 minutes to design... The upside of just being Barefaced is that I can use the same logo/name on future guitar/hi-fi/PA products.

[quote name='JonnyM' post='358030' date='Dec 18 2008, 04:07 PM']Are the letters the raw metal of the badge with a black background?[/quote]

I think that'll look best, don't you?

Thanks for the positive feedback - 2/2 so far!

Alex

Quick question Alex. Will you be offering the Fender grill cloth as an option on all your cabs? May be interested in a compact at some point in the near future and would like that look.

Like the logo, btw. But does it look retro enough for the retro cab?

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='358055' date='Dec 18 2008, 04:29 PM']Quick question Alex. Will you be offering the Fender grill cloth as an option on all your cabs? May be interested in a compact at some point in the near future and would like that look.

Like the logo, btw. But does it look retro enough for the retro cab?[/quote]

Yes, I'll do the grill cloth and metal corners for a small extra cost (which depends on how quick I can make the grill cloth fitting process...)

I've thought about that too - as it's going to be just black/aluminium I think it'll work fine - a subtle juxtaposition of old and new!

Alex

Asking the opposite of Bigwan: would be possible to get a retro but with a metal grill, think your well built, high sensitivity 2x15 would go well with my Fafner, not sure I want the risk of a cloth front though.
Not looking for anything in the near future just assessing the possibilities I have.

thanks

[quote name='d-basser' post='359908' date='Dec 20 2008, 09:43 PM']Asking the opposite of Bigwan: would be possible to get a retro but with a metal grill, think your well built, high sensitivity 2x15 would go well with my Fafner, not sure I want the risk of a cloth front though.[/quote]

My current intention is for the cloth to be fixed onto the metal grill so you get the best of both worlds!

Alex

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='361785' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:50 AM']I'd love to see a mini vertically stacked 2x12 Vintage when the Eminence 3012s are released...[/quote]

Me too! :)
However, a 4 ohm 12" with a mid range speaker would probably be perfect, with a vintage grill cloth or course :huh:

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='alexclaber' post='362263' date='Dec 23 2008, 07:22 PM']One thing I'd like to do in the future is some high power tests that show what happens when you put hundreds of watts into a cab - that's when the lack of Xmax and bracing in many cabs will become obvious, as will port non-linearity due to undersized ports.

Alex[/quote]

Interesting you should say that.
I put a 3015 LF into an old Ashdown mag 115 deep cab and it sounds fine at moderate volumes, but develops a strange slap sound with low notes at high volumes.
It sounds like someone is actually slapping the side of the cab and you can only hear it from a distance - it sounds fine close up.
I wonder if acoustic damping might help or if I'm just going to have to save up for a barefaced cab.

[quote name='redstriper' post='363767' date='Dec 26 2008, 04:28 PM']It sounds like someone is actually slapping the side of the cab and you can only hear it from a distance - it sounds fine close up.[/quote]

Maybe the handles or some of the joints rattling or creaking?

Just working on a new crossover design for The Big One to give better on and off-axis response and more power handling.

Alex

Am I right in thinking 'The Vintage' will be ideal for my horible downtuning into old valve heads, as the heads aren't particularly high output (100 and 130w), and aiming to produce sort of volume that vibrates your eyes in your head and makes your vision wibbly? Whilst also looking vintage and 'Doom'.

Basically aiming to be a budget, transportable version of:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='365013' date='Dec 28 2008, 06:11 PM']Am I right in thinking 'The Vintage' will be ideal for my horible downtuning into old valve heads, as the heads aren't particularly high output (100 and 130w), and aiming to produce sort of volume that vibrates your eyes in your head and makes your vision wibbly? Whilst also looking vintage and 'Doom'.[/quote]

Yep, sounds just the job for that! Mind you, unless your eyes are particularly loosely connected to your head or you intend to rest your head on the cab whilst playing I think you might need two cabs to get those internal resonances. Or maybe you were exaggerating... :)

Alex

And here's a comparison of on and off-axis response. The joy of a having a full crossover to a midrange speaker with a low crossover frequency and steep filter slopes is that you get smooth flat midrange response wherever you stand in the room - no woofer+tweeter cab can achieve this and no 3-way bass cab I know of uses a crossover topology that can achieve this. To get smooth off-axis response in the treble region would need an additional tweeter which I'm working on but I think this would be rather wasted on us bassists - should be an amazing PA cab though!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='365753' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:47 PM']And here's a comparison of on and off-axis response. The joy of a having a full crossover to a midrange speaker with a low crossover frequency and steep filter slopes is that you get smooth flat midrange response wherever you stand in the room - no woofer+tweeter cab can achieve this and no 3-way bass cab I know of uses a crossover topology that can achieve this. To get smooth off-axis response in the treble region would need an additional tweeter which I'm working on but I think this would be rather wasted on us bassists - should be an amazing PA cab though!

Alex[/quote]
Hi Alex,

I'm not quite sure I can follow the technicalities of what you're saying exactly, so instead I look forward to hearing it in action at some point soon! Hope all's well and that you've had a good Xmas in the meantime...

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='365856' date='Dec 29 2008, 11:03 PM']I'm not quite sure I can follow the technicalities of what you're saying exactly, so instead I look forward to hearing it in action at some point soon![/quote]

Good polar response = your cab sounding the same wherever you stand - much easier to get a great tone out front, on-stage and even over to your guitarist standing the far side of the stage. Almost like magic! :)

Yes, great Xmas doing very little at all. Rather festively cold down here isn't it?

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='365890' date='Dec 29 2008, 11:40 PM']Good polar response = your cab sounding the same wherever you stand - much easier to get a great tone out front, on-stage and even over to your guitarist standing the far side of the stage. Almost like magic! :)

Yes, great Xmas doing very little at all. Rather festively cold down here isn't it?

Alex[/quote]
OK, thanks Alex. I thought that was what you were saying but wasn't 100% sure.. Yep; too cold me thinks....

It just goes to show why accurate crossover design is so critical - I felt I'd done a pretty thorough job of modelling the system but in reality the midrange speaker turned out to have more output from 400-1000Hz than expected, which resulted in a fairly broad hump across the midrange. Once I took the measured response for the mid in-situ and put it into my model the model then predicted the response which measuring of the full system had shown - phew! The new crossover should give that flat midrange response I wanted and it also flattens out the higher treble much more (if you want it to).

The only downside of this crossover is that the old one had six components whilst the new one has fourteen!!!

Alex