Why become a member? ×

Great 'Fender' type P/J basses

Musicman20

Off the top of my head the Tony Franklin signature and the American Deluxe P basses are both PJ style and they are Fenders. Also Sandberg will no doubt have a PJ model. Sadowsky do PJs as well. I would probably pick up a Sandberg, or look for a Fender second hand. Or buy a P bass and put another pickup in.

This was the nicest P/J bass I've ever played - Status Graphite Vintage PJ4.

I traded it as part of a deal to get my 1966 Precision, along with three other basses. This is the only one of the four that I miss, and I'd probably try to buy it back if I knew who has it now. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1207943' date='Apr 22 2011, 09:24 AM']

This was the nicest P/J bass I've ever played - Status Graphite Vintage PJ4.

I traded it as part of a deal to get my 1966 Precision, along with three other basses. This is the only one of the four that I miss, and I'd probably try to buy it back if I knew who has it now. :)[/quote]
I always liked the look of these too - a 'burst would be lovely.

[quote name='iconic' post='1207885' date='Apr 22 2011, 08:33 AM']+1...although the BB (broad bass) body may not quality as a P body :)[/quote]

Just as an aside,I know that Yamahas official line now is that the BB stands for 'broad bass',but I seem to remember that the bass was originally designed in conjunction with Bunny Brunel,hence the name.
Am I alone in thinking this?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1208110' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:26 AM']Just as an aside,I know that Yamahas official line now is that the BB stands for 'broad bass',but I seem to remember that the bass was originally designed in conjunction with Bunny Brunel,hence the name.
Am I alone in thinking this?[/quote]

No..I would have said the same thing.

Also, being seeing the attraction of a PJ config these days.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1208138' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:39 AM']No..I would have said the same thing.

Also, being seeing the attraction of a PJ config these days.[/quote]

Aye. PJ seems the way forward.

In a band situation I think I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference tonally between full on PJ vs full on JJ, however the difference between the neck P and neck J solo'd is huge.

Sorry, completely missed the P body thing!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1208110' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:26 AM']Just as an aside,I know that Yamahas official line now is that the BB stands for 'broad bass',but I seem to remember that the bass was originally designed in conjunction with Bunny Brunel,hence the name.
Am I alone in thinking this?[/quote]
Interesting, this (if you're an anorak like me, anyway) - "Broad Bass" is exactly the sort of Japlish acronym you'd expect, but doing a bit of Googling it seems Brunel was involved in the development of the BB3000 fretless, which he apparently still uses. However according to [url="http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/"]Yamaha's guitar database[/url] the BB range debuted in 1977 with the BB800, BB1000 & BB1200 models - the BB3000 appeared in 1982, so no idea if BB would have been involved in those early models.

It's an incomplete archive (my 80s BB400S ain't on it) and since it's in Japanese I have no idea if Brunel's mentioned in the text - stick it through Babelfish & the result is a part-translated mishmash of Kanji & references to mosquitos & the Soviet Union. Really. :)

Anyway, on topic - I'm definitely favouring P/J configurations at the moment, loads more versatile than single P or J/J.

Jon.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1208489' date='Apr 22 2011, 05:29 PM']Is it the shape of the plate or is the P pup a bit further neckwords?[/quote]

I never measured it, but the P pickup was absolutely in the sweet spot and just nailed the tone.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1208508' date='Apr 22 2011, 05:51 PM']No tone on the G&L?![/quote]

Yeah, that's what put me off buying one a while back....... can't understand why you wouldn't have one!

Although it's my cheapest bass, my RBX270 (fitted with Dimarzio Model P/J) absolutely nails any sound I want in the rock covers band I'm in at the moment. None of my other basses give me such a variety of usable rock sounds, active preamp or not.

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='I.dunno' post='1208183' date='Apr 22 2011, 12:11 PM']ESP makes an LTD Vintage (with a "distressed finition", like a "road worn" one) PJ model. I never played it but I read some good reviews on it. You'll find it for less than 400 £ on the Internet.

[/quote]

I'd go for the Sunburst one :) , I love ESP/ LTD but I heard that these are heavy somewhere I think??

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1208944' date='Apr 23 2011, 09:28 AM']Just seen the Yammy BB1024x for under £800 new! What are they like?![/quote]

Fantastic basses. I got to try one in a shop, felt amazing, i adored it!

You should have seen my face when the clerk told me i had been there for 2 hours, and they were closing so needed the bass back D: :) was more or less it haha!

Get your hands on a BB414 or 424 (Or a 1024 is you can! Would be ideal haha) and its like that to the next level! Its a wierd feel the difference but they are awesome basses!