Why become a member? ×

Yet another lightweight kit dilemma

Paul S

So, having had a serious chat with my physiotherapist, my wife (wh0 helps me in and out of the car with the gear) and with a smaller car on the way, I am reluctantly going to have to trade in my beloved Trace Elliot gear for something lightweight and more compact. My ideal bass Nirvana is currently from the AH250 GP11 mk V played through an 18" cab with a 2x10 when the mood takes me. Not the lightest of rigs :) I play in classic rock bands x2, both with loud drummers and 2 x guitarists, and I usually have the volume set just over half on the Trace head.

Is there anything out there that is likely to sound similar? I am guessing TC Electronics - either the classic 450 or RH 450? - or Orange Terror Bass for the amp, but what cabs? I wouldn't begin to know. Or would a Promethean cut the mustard?

You have to move on. Forget the Trace and find something else you like the sound of.

After nearly 10 years I reluctantly gave up my Boogie cabs because of the back trouble they caused and went to Aguilar, then Epifani and finally Bergantino. These rigs didn't sound like the Boogie cabs (they didn't even sound similar to each other) and that didn't matter because they each sounded great in their own right. If you are trying to recreate the Trace sound with other gear you will always be disappointed and unhappy. Get a sound you can live with, then love that sound.

TC would be a good place to start, but GB, GK, Markbass, Bergantino, Barefaced and even Ampeg have good lightweight products.

Move on... yes, I know. It is such a shame, though. Finding the sound that 'works' is an expensive and time consuming business and I am fairly daunted by the prospect of having to start again.

Colchester is only an hour up the road and a day spent at Bass Merchant might be a plan. Then again I've never got a decent feel for sound when playing in shops - is the Bass Merchant much different? - but for sure I'd get and idea hands on for the portability. But knowing where to start! :)

Barefaced cabs - I am on the list for the roadshow but I suspect that will be too late.

Probably need to ditch a couple of heavier basses, too.

Edited by Paul S

I took my Metro to be fixed last week and, whilst I was at the guy's house, we plugged its speakers into his Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0. It sounded pretty impressive and weighs less than my smallest Yorksire Terrier (ickle.. :)). Like you, I know the days of my 78lb Metro are numbered and counting down rapidly but the more I look at Markbass, Acoustic Image, other Eden products etc, the less I worry about it.

The Promethean 5110 combo might cut the mustard, but it'll all depend on what kind of stage volume you require.
I've used mine stand alone without PA support in pub gigs of up to about 100 people, any more than that I think you might be pushing it, especially if there's 2 guitars and some distortion involved.
I've also used it happily as a stage monitor for bigger gigs using the DI to feed the PA.
I also use it for home practice with and without headphones, the line in is very handy.

It's incredibly versatile, but might quite not please rockers much.
You could of course pick up the 1X10 extension cab for it, reckon that would be more than enough for your average gigging bassist.
I'd pick one of those up in a second if I had the room and needed it...

Just my 2p :)

Eude

Having recently had to do the same, I`ve ended up with a TC Electronic Classic 450 which is a great amp, powerful, versatile, and incredibly lightweight. Cab-wise an Eden Nemesis 410, which comes with castors, adjustable tweeter, and weighs in at 52 lbs, cost was £389 from The Bass Merchant - link for specs.

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=451&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

52 lbs isn`t the lightest cab about, but as most 410s are 80 lbs plus, it`s not too bad. The spec isn`t bad for under £400 either. Not used it with a band yet, but it has a more old-school sound than would be expected. From a die-hard Ampeg fan, I`m happy with it.

If I`d have had the money, I`d certainly have checked out Barefaced though.

I would avoid a light weight combo unless the head can be withdrawn, It defeats the object for me. I use my 600 watt head with a 1x10 or 2x12 and will be adding a 1x12 at some point to cover every situation. I take my head to rehersal rooms and know I can use whatever cabs are there with ease (I have made a speakon to jack for this purpose and so that my Genz cab can be used with none speakon'd amp heads).

I'd suggest a Bareface SuperTwelve, cos I've head one powered by an LH500 just decimate a Marshal half stack and loud drummer in a rehearsal room. Mega punchy rig that, and very clean, super easy to use too (very simple eq).

Not the lightest amp in the word, but nothing like hawling trace kit about. If you absolutely had to have ultra lightweight amp I'd say the same cab run off an MB head and is equally all out impressive.

That cab weighs virtually nothing, and has a built in trolley wheels and handle too, its just a brilliant bit of design for anyone with a bad back. Highly recommended....

Your rig is your rig and I wouldn't go looking for that same sound from other kit as a 1st requirement..you'll need to be more open-minded.

I'll go as far as to say this...if your bass sounds good...then most set-up should be capable of reproducing that to a dgree ..it is when you fight things that you get the problems and need that perfect match.

For ultra lightweight, I suggest Barefaced (I have a Compact on order, a 15" cab weighing 26lb). For not quite so lightweight (47lb) but with 3 x 10" speakers and super high quality, how about obbm's Epifani UL310 which he has FS at £500? I had one of these once and it was superb

Edited by Clarky

Some good advice here - cheers. I think separates rather than a combo, too. I can see a shape forming out of the mist.... nothing like sitting down with some rational input to help focus what I want to do :)

If I am going to get some lightweight gear I may as well go the whole hog - the Eden Nemesis probably doesn't weigh much less than the Trace Elliot 1x15 so I wouldn't be gaining much. The Barefaced Compact does seem like a good solution for a cab. Much of a waiting list, Clarky?

For the head, well, I'll aim for a lightweight one for everyday use. Orange Terror or TC, probably. Liking what I read of the TC Electronic Classic 450 - it doesn't seem very complicated, which is appealing to a simple chap like me. I'll probably keep the Trace Elliot AH250 for old times sake - I'll get next to nothing for it anyway and it is *so* nice.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1184576' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:29 PM']I'd suggest a Bareface SuperTwelve......

......That cab weighs virtually nothing, and has a built in trolley wheels and handle too, its just a brilliant bit of design for anyone with a bad back. Highly recommended....[/quote]
Tried WoTs Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with mine at the Yorkshire Bass Bash. The two were made for each other. Never has my flabber been so ghasted.

[quote name='Hamster' post='1184799' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:38 PM']I've finally arrived at 2 x Barefaced 1x15 Compacts and a Markbass LittleMark 800 tube rig. Face-meltingly good for classic rock, weighs about the same as a hummingbird and fits in the boot of my car :)[/quote]

Interesting - I haven't read about this - does the LM tube do something similar to the Trace Elliot 'Valve Drive' thingy where you can overdrive it?

Thanks Clarky. I've pm'd Alex so let's see what he says.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1184816' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:49 PM']Tried WoTs Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with mine at the Yorkshire Bass Bash. The two were made for each other. Never has my flabber been so ghasted.[/quote]

They are the dogs danglies arent they :)

Not looking to re-start old arguments from old topics, but the only way (IMHO) that you'll ever know how a rig sounds when you gig it with your own band is ... erm ... to gig it with your own band.

I know that not everyone agrees with this, but I just don't see how noodling on solo bass in a shop or a friend's garage is ever going to tell you how you'll sound in a packed pub competing with a mad drummer and two guitarists going through Marshal 412s.

There are plenty of Basschatters in Essex. Have you considered borrowing (or even renting) rigs from others to see how they sound? I lent my Barefaced Big One to four people, and my Orange Bass Terror to three (all of whom went out and bought one :) ).

Not everyone likes to lend their kit, but you may get lucky.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1184856' date='Apr 1 2011, 03:10 PM']Not looking to re-start old arguments from old topics, but the only way (IMHO) that you'll ever know how a rig sounds when you gig it with your own band is ... erm ... to gig it with your own band.

I know that not everyone agrees with this, but I just don't see how noodling on solo bass in a shop or a friend's garage is ever going to tell you how you'll sound in a packed pub competing with a mad drummer and two guitarists going through Marshal 412s.

There are plenty of Basschatters in Essex. Have you considered borrowing (or even renting) rigs from others to see how they sound? I lent my Barefaced Big One to four people, and my Orange Bass Terror to three (all of whom went out and bought one :) ).

Not everyone likes to lend their kit, but you may get lucky.[/quote]
I did think that but its not as much fun as going round every shop to try them,buy them,sell them and start it all over again is it? Expensive yes but fun oh yes :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1184856' date='Apr 1 2011, 03:10 PM']Not looking to re-start old arguments from old topics, but the only way (IMHO) that you'll ever know how a rig sounds when you gig it with your own band is ... erm ... to gig it with your own band......[/quote]

I've certainly found this to be the case with everything else I've had - only by living with it for a while do you get to appreciate it's nuances. The Canvey bass Bash is just around the corner, in terms of time and geographically, so maybe I should make the effort to pop in before I have to go for my gig in the afternoon as I believe there will be some TC gear there at least.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1184856' date='Apr 1 2011, 03:10 PM']Not looking to re-start old arguments from old topics, but the only way (IMHO) that you'll ever know how a rig sounds when you gig it with your own band is ... erm ... to gig it with your own band.

Not everyone likes to lend their kit, but you may get lucky.[/quote]

That's a great idea HJ.

I'm in a similiar position where I need to downsize my EBS rig over the next couple of months. I'm looking at the Barefaced cabs and the Streamliner/TC Classic 450 or Bass Terror but really need to hear the Super Twelve T in action before I'd be happy pulling the trigger.

As I've not been able to get to any bass bashes recently, it'd be brilliant if someone had a Barefaced of some sort (if not a Super Twelve, perhaps a Compact or Big One) in the West Midlands for me to try out in exchange for alcohol/coffee/cream cakes etc :)

T

Edited by tonyf