Why become a member? ×

Yet another lightweight kit dilemma

Paul S

Preaching to the converted, Paul!

Just wait until you plug that into a modern efficient lightweight cab. That's when you start to realise how good things have got for bassists over the last 10 years.

Honestly the first time I played through a modern rig I had to completely reevaluate my approach, everything is clearer, louder, more present, yet at the same time it sounds effortless. IMO...

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to add a happy ending.

I bought a TC Electronics Classic 450 (4kg) a few weeks back - to replace my Trace Elliot AH300 (25kg) - which I have been sticking through my Trace Elliot 1818 cab (40kg). All the time thinking - I will be sad to see this big old fella go.

Today I took delivery of a Barefaced Compact (12kg). My wife popped out for 30 mins just now so I had a quick noodle using my Fender Power Jazz Bass Special. Absolutely blown away. The clarity is simply unbelievable, from lows to highs, yet all the power is there too. I can hardly wait to use it in anger. This is no compromise, this is Nirvana. And 16kg VS 65kg!!

Anyone else thinking they might want to make the change to lighweight gear I can only say - do not hesitate! There is a whole world below 20kg waiting to be explored.

been saving for a year, almost ready to go on a new lightweight head to go with my BF midget t + compact. My long list is EA micro, MB500, SL6/900, TH500 or GB9/9.2. Unfortunately I have not been able to try the TH500 or GB9.2 yet, and only the SL9 and GB9 with my own cabs. Might head over to GuitarGuitar later since they seem the only ones with TH500s in stock and my heart is saying "Aggy, Aggy, Aggy" since I used to have a tonehammer, and have loved each Aggy amp I have tried. It's just murder to find all these amps up in the frozen north.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1184492' date='Apr 1 2011, 11:39 AM']So, having had a serious chat with my physiotherapist, my wife (wh0 helps me in and out of the car with the gear) and with a smaller car on the way, I am reluctantly going to have to trade in my beloved Trace Elliot gear for something lightweight and more compact. My ideal bass Nirvana is currently from the AH250 GP11 mk V played through an 18" cab with a 2x10 when the mood takes me. Not the lightest of rigs :) I play in classic rock bands x2, both with loud drummers and 2 x guitarists, and I usually have the volume set just over half on the Trace head.

Is there anything out there that is likely to sound similar? I am guessing TC Electronics - either the classic 450 or RH 450? - or Orange Terror Bass for the amp, but what cabs? I wouldn't begin to know. Or would a Promethean cut the mustard?[/quote]

Don't forget the Trace, Try their new cabs they are less than half the weight, or check out basssyteme, www.basssysteme.de in Germany, they do Trace Elliot style cabs that weigh nothing even an 1818. Don't listen (ha ha) nothing sounds like your rig, a mark V is a rare and fine thing, especially through and 1818 2x10 combo, the earth really does move. Its bass you can really feel,but with great definition, most modern gear cannot come close especially, lightweight stuff, it does not have the current to push the speakers esp low down. But most people don't have the experience of your type of rig. I picked up a basssysteme 18" at musicmesse (BRB118NF) It was a one hander weighs hardly anything. They are quite pricey, But I know a few pro guys in Germany, that swear by them, they are so well made, you will only buy em once, they are also a smaller than the old trace cabs, but def have 'tha't sound, but with with higher sensitivity so a bit louder. I think a 18" (as speaker design has come a long way) is a bit overkill these days! have a look at;

Trace 1518 or 1818 + 2104H combi
or Basssysteme BRB115N or BRB118N + BRB210H

You will get the same sound out of these, as your current setup i.e. big lows and good highs, the basssysteme combi is very light.

If you contact basssyteme the owner Hanjo speaks good English, even if he says he doesn't, He was /still is quite a famous player in Germany, Like speaking to a German John Paul jones haha. If you say what you have and you want something lighter he will provide a solution. If he doesn't he will probably build you something he is a bit of a nutter / obsessive, just like all good equipment suppliers are. But don't get rid of the Mark V, head you will regret it..................

Cheers

D
PS Or if you want somthing English made also check out the Ashdown cabs, Klystron cabs are quite light and defo make there presence felt esp the big 15

Edited by dan670844

I had a Terror, and the gain is, well, very gainy. Anything over 2 and it was like adding a distortion pedal. That said, at gigs I had both gain and volume on only 2, so still had plenty of headroom. And there are threads on here about changing pre-amp valves to less gainy ones, to give more clean headroom.

Only reason I got rid of the Terror was to me, it only had one actual sound - which was good by the way - and I prefer to have a bit of versatility with my amps.

[quote name='Hamster' post='1184799' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:38 PM']I've finally arrived at 2 x Barefaced 1x15 Compacts and a Markbass LittleMark 800 tube rig. Face-meltingly good for classic rock, weighs about the same as a hummingbird and fits in the boot of my car :)[/quote]
Just got, and breaking in a Super 12 T to go with the MB LM Tube (500). Sounded good when fired up for the first time and weighs next to nothing. RESULT! :)

EDIT: ...and having fired it up at rehearsal last night with the L2500..........LUVERLY :lol: Weighs next to nothing, solid as #### and sounds marvellous. It was just sitting beautifully with everything else. Nice solid bass down to the lob Bb (we detune a semitone) but with a nice brightness to round things out from the horn. Didn't bother with any of the effects/ bits & bobs I have been using front end, just L2500>LMT>S12T linked with OBBM cables

Edited by WalMan

I have found nothing that sounds similar to classic Trace Elliot. It has a certain sound of its own.

That said, one option would be to pair a Trace pre with a Bergantino IP rig of whatever cab size you choose. That worked extremely well for me.

And they're both green :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='1252319' date='Jun 1 2011, 07:12 AM']Just got, and breaking in a Super 12 T to go with the MB LM Tube (500). Sounded good when fired up for the first time and weighs next to nothing. RESULT! :)

EDIT: ...and having fired it up at rehearsal last night with the L2500..........LUVERLY :) Weighs next to nothing, solid as #### and sounds marvellous. It was just sitting beautifully with everything else. Nice solid bass down to the lob Bb (we detune a semitone) but with a nice brightness to round things out from the horn. Didn't bother with any of the effects/ bits & bobs I have been using front end, just L2500>LMT>S12T linked with OBBM cables[/quote]
There is a solidity to the sound that I've never had with cabs from any other manufacturer. It's an immediate and enveloping sound - it sounds like it's right next to you even when its plonked 15 feet away. And it gets better as the driver suspension loosens up a bit as it settles in. I've always had this slightly nebulous 'sounds like I'm playing in the next room' quality previously and put it down to the bass. Whilst the bass isn't exactly the world's best sounding compared with some modern designs, its capable of real character and this cab brings it out.