Why become a member? ×

Yet another lightweight kit dilemma

Paul S

Well, funnily enough, I am going to go the opposite way as I think I'll need and want a 610.
It will not come out often and I will need to arrange alternative transport maybe, but I can't go on these
stages with a weedy 12" or two, I'm afraid.

Hopefully, I am in the minority and I'll pick up a bargain. :) :)
As long as it has wheels, it might start to fit the bill.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1184848' date='Apr 1 2011, 03:05 PM']Interesting - I haven't read about this - does the LM tube do something similar to the Trace Elliot 'Valve Drive' thingy where you can overdrive it?

Thanks Clarky. I've pm'd Alex so let's see what he says.[/quote]

You have a choice of solid state or tube preamp with a 'blend' control to dial in the warmth and a gain knob to pump it all up. IMHO there's a little less boost/overdrive than the TE offering.

I was also quite impressed with the Genz Benz Shuttle amps and also the Orange Bass Terror - but it's up to your ears really :)

[quote name='Paul S' post='1184492' date='Apr 1 2011, 11:39 AM']So, having had a serious chat with my physiotherapist, my wife (wh0 helps me in and out of the car with the gear) and with a smaller car on the way, I am reluctantly going to have to trade in my beloved Trace Elliot gear for something lightweight and more compact. My ideal bass Nirvana is currently from the AH250 GP11 mk V played through an 18" cab with a 2x10 when the mood takes me. Not the lightest of rigs :) I play in classic rock bands x2, both with loud drummers and 2 x guitarists, and I usually have the volume set just over half on the Trace head.

Is there anything out there that is likely to sound similar? I am guessing TC Electronics - either the classic 450 or RH 450? - or Orange Terror Bass for the amp, but what cabs? I wouldn't begin to know. Or would a Promethean cut the mustard?[/quote]

i think you might be blown away with the comparative volume you'll be able to obtain with newer more modern lightweight rigs!

Heres another +1 for bass terror + barefaced cab

[quote name='umph' post='1185093' date='Apr 1 2011, 06:40 PM']i think you might be blown away with the comparative volume you'll be able to obtain with newer more modern lightweight rigs!

Heres another +1 for bass terror + barefaced cab[/quote]

Add some valve swapping there, would guess the Trace rig isn't as grindy as that.

I think the old Trace amps have something special, but time has moved on. These light weight amps can do the business and have the tone to match. I have never missed my old Trace cabs in fact on reflection everything I have owned since has been better. My biased opinion would be a Mark bass amp and Tecamp cab say a 4 x 10. My 4 x 12" weighs only 54 Lbs

Lightweight cabs - I thoroughly rate my Barefaced Big One. You could build your own Fearful or Bill Fitzmaurice - I am at the moment, very easy to do. Had the big rig Marshall VBA 400 + 7215 very recently, then had the bad back (not connected). Moved it on, and am happier with lighter kit - am not 25 anymore.

I must say than I am totally heartened by all the 'there is life after Trace' type comments. Makes me look forward to trying all this new stuff rather than keep regretting having to change. Thank you Basschatters!!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1184990' date='Apr 1 2011, 04:55 PM']You'll be surprised at how well heard these poxy wee lightwieght gadgets are.
I have a Markbass 2x10 combo & play with a loud drummer & 2 noisy guitarists & have no problem being heard.[/quote]

Really rate this combo but on its own it is not enough if using my mates one the other day in anger was anything to go by.
I didn't feel I could really push it ( not being mine ) and I am sure it would cope with most things with a cab underneath though.

On it own..?? hmmm.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1185543' date='Apr 2 2011, 08:31 AM']Really rate this combo but on its own it is not enough if using my mates one the other day in anger was anything to go by.
I didn't feel I could really push it ( not being mine ) and I am sure it would cope with most things with a cab underneath though.

On it own..?? hmmm.[/quote]
I suppose it depends on the size of the venue. Most of ours have been village halls & pubs & it's much louder & bassier than the Trace 4x10 combo I used.

I've been toying with building a BFM sub to stick under it just for height & to make women orgasm when playing the low G :)
Other idea is another MB 2x10 cab & stack em vertically. But I've got too much to spend my pennies on before then :)

[quote name='tonyf' post='1184900' date='Apr 1 2011, 03:39 PM']I'm in a similiar position where I need to downsize my EBS rig over the next couple of months. I'm looking at the Barefaced cabs and the Streamliner/TC Classic 450 or Bass Terror but really need to hear the Super Twelve T in action before I'd be happy pulling the trigger.

As I've not been able to get to any bass bashes recently, it'd be brilliant if someone had a Barefaced of some sort (if not a Super Twelve, perhaps a Compact or Big One) in the West Midlands for me to try out in exchange for alcohol/coffee/cream cakes etc :)

T[/quote]

Alex does do a sale or return thing with his cabs so that could be pretty painless. If it works for you - cool. If it does not work for you - cool

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1184990' date='Apr 1 2011, 04:55 PM']You'll be surprised at how well heard these poxy wee lightwieght gadgets are.
I have a Markbass 2x10 combo & play with a loud drummer & 2 noisy guitarists & have no problem being heard.[/quote]

+1

I'm using a Mark Bass 2x10 combo and it's brilliant. The tiltback design is spot on, and if needs be the DI is good too. Haven't even thought about amp GAS since I've had it (well, apart from a couple of Kilo heads and two Hydrive 8x10, but I couldn't get them in my house let alone my car!)

I've just moved on from a Trace fullstack (300W head+210+115) to a GB Shuttle 9.0+GB 112 and couldn't be happier! I now carry all my gear in one trip from the car and my sound has improved a lot! I'm more into a hi-fi'ish kind of sound.

In the future i'll be getting the SupertwelveT for those open air gigs but for now the single 12 is more than enough for pub gigs!

As I've already posted in amps & cabinets... Promethean 5110 combo plus the neo ext cab will more than surfice most needs.. TC Elect' is the only other system I reckon matches it. Just depends on the pennies man! The 'vibe control' on the Promethean is a neat bonus for the contrast between deep end old style and more funky slap & percussion.. My personal likes.. That's all... Try em out at (yes Bass Merchant ) !

A lot of suggestions here, thanks all.

I tried an Orange Terror Bass at PMT today (also a new lightweight Ampeg thingy, which didn't do it for me at all). I thought the Orange was very nice but the gain seemed too easy to overdo with my Fender Power Jazz Special - beyond about 2 o'clock it seemed a bit farty. Rolled off to about half it was lovely, though. I'm off to Bass Merchant tomorrow to have a go on whatever they have in stock - Promethean, Genz benz, TC Classic 450, Markbass.

That might have worked, Ben. A few hundred miles round trip, but an interesting drive nevertheless. As it happens I have now stuck a deposit on one of Alex's finest, so sorted for a cab. And I think I might be after one of the tube pre-amps.

Incidentally - a while back you posted a link to a YouTube of your band playing 'The Chain' - I showed it to one of my bands and on the strength of how good it sounded and how ell it worked with a small band we are going to give it a go. Thought I'd mention it.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1188184' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:32 PM']That might have worked, Ben. A few hundred miles round trip, but an interesting drive nevertheless. As it happens I have now stuck a deposit on one of Alex's finest, so sorted for a cab. And I think I might be after one of the tube pre-amps.

Incidentally - a while back you posted a link to a YouTube of your band playing 'The Chain' - I showed it to one of my bands and on the strength of how good it sounded and how ell it worked with a small band we are going to give it a go. Thought I'd mention it.[/quote]

Haha, I'm flattered! It's a good song to play, I particularly like the vocal harmonies and it's got to be one of the most iconic basslines around! Good luck with your light equipment hunt! I'm going even lighter, just my bass and a Sansamp in my pocket! (oh, and a full PA in the back of my car...)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1188180' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:29 PM']Here Ben, are you gonna enter a pic into this month's photo thread?

You started it & left me carrying it on for you! :)

It's been fun having such a thread. :)[/quote]

Sorry, my camera fell out of my bag, at the gig Paul mentioned actually and started to fail a couple of weeks later :lol: It's in the shop at the moment getting fixed up. Only cost me £168 :D

I'll return to the photography fun soon, you're doing a fine job in my absence!

Things move fast around here. I took my Fender Power Jazz Special along to Bass Merchant in Colchester this afternoon and tried a few things - Promethean, Little Mark Rocker, Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and TC Electronics Classic 450.

Promethean didn't do it for me and fell by the wayside immediately. Little Mark Rocker was nice but a bit too expensive and IMO not worth the extra - the extra overdrive wasn't really that useable as far as I could see. TC Classic 450 was great - if I had heard that yesterday I would probably have bought it straight away as it made a sound I aspire to, plus a lot more. Then I tried the Genz Benz and surprised myself by really liking it - I wasn't expecting to - and could barely decide which to choose between that and the TC head. I switched from one to the other several times but came home with the Classic 450. There was a warmth to the sound that just took the edge for what I play, rather than the more transparent brittleness (heard that somewhere and it fit's perfectly) of the Genz Benz. Ideally I could have had both!

I must say I was totally blown away by this lightweight stuff. Far from the compromise I had envisaged I actually feel really inspired by this kit. The tone and power is just awesome. I can't wait to get gigging with it. It will certainly be surreal next rehearsal as I will be playing this new head through my Trace 18" cab. Sublime to the ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input on this - it is really appreciated.