Why become a member? ×

mxr bass compressor

ahpook

[quote name='Wil' post='1180843' date='Mar 29 2011, 02:49 PM']Looks sweet. I could probably use a decent compressor. Wonder how "squishy" it sounds.[/quote]

Well if it behaves correctly then that entirely depends on how you set those controls.

Assuming you can effectively set the threshold (the only missing control) with the input level (not always true) then if you want some real [i][b][size=1]SQUISH[/size][/b][/i] try this:-

input level: high (not overloading though) - this is effectively setting the threhold lower (at a guess!)
ratio: 8:1
attack: 12 noon
release: 9 O'clock
output: set to match the level of the unaffected bass.

Then playing with the attack will allow you to get the right amount of squish, you've got to get it right, too short and you will lose the attack too long and you wont hear as obvious a squish...

I think in the context of compressors, just having a play with the controls will not really give you any understanding, because when set effectively they're (usually) so subtle. If you can try and get your head around Si's compression 101 it'd be very useful.

[quote name='Wil' post='1180865' date='Mar 29 2011, 03:06 PM']Cool, thanks!

Despite reading your very informative posts on compressors before, they do still baffle me a bit. I probably just need to get a decent one and play with it to better understand the controls.[/quote]

Absolutely!

The ONLY way to get your head around what they do, and how they sound is to get one with all the parameters available to you, and good metering. It needn't be expensive either, an Alesis rack mount will set you back just a few quid. It isnt the greatest or most noise free compressor by any means, but it will allow you to learn what compression does.

Make up some leads and put it between your CD player and amp in the hifi and then play different music and just fiddle with it, solo bass recordings, percussion stuff, anything just learn to hear the compression coming in, learn what the controls do, and what they soudn like. It would take maybe a couple of hours of playing around to really get to grips with it completely.

Then put your bass through it and continue to play, this time deliberately sculpting different envelopes out of your normal bass.

If it doesnt work out then sell it on.

Heh ^ a totally different opinion.

Personally, I played with compressors on the computer for a long time, just messing with the controls. I had a vague idea of what each one did, and I used them to squish and maybe make things louder. None of that experience could replace actually sitting down at uni and reading good detailed descriptions of what a compressor does, and why/when you would want to use it. Obviously, everyone's different :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1180891' date='Mar 29 2011, 03:22 PM']Heh ^ a totally different opinion.

Personally, I played with compressors on the computer for a long time, just messing with the controls. I had a vague idea of what each one did, and I used them to squish and maybe make things louder. None of that experience could replace actually sitting down at uni and reading good detailed descriptions of what a compressor does, and why/when you would want to use it. Obviously, everyone's different :)[/quote]

OK I should have pointed out that you need to be sat there with some detailed desciptions of what the controls are doing too. Good point!

But I stand by the fact that you can read descriptions and manuals all day, until you actually play with one for real you cant work out how to use it. The intellectual knowledge of the parameters and their functions doesnt explain how the ear/brain perceive the results.

Edited by 51m0n

• 5 months later...

now had a while to use my new MXR M87 and I have to say I do really like it. I have resisted going rack generally but it's when you get to the compressor/limiter that you miss this most in terms of control. Despite the lack of input/output monitoring, this is a step up in terms of control. Quiet enough for a pedal. Had my eye on an Empress but this at the price I got it (thanks Sean!) will do me.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1316376525' post='1377248']
Does it run off a standard 9V dc power supply?

Can anyone give me an opinion on how it compares to an Aguilar TLC pedal?
[/quote]

I have a TLC which is great - If anyone wants to lend me their MXR I'd be happy to compare the two :)

I'm still very attached to my Multicomp but i get the feeling that i'm loosing something not going for a more complete compressor... I like my compressor to act only on the high peaks of my signal degrading them (no i don't want a limiter), i want to leave all my soft playing untouched without boosts so i can have some dinamics on my playing. The MC has been working great for my needs but my GAS is always making me wonder if something like this MXR would be better... any opinions?

• 1 year later...

Ive had one for a couple of months now. Its the best comp ive ever used, but at the same time its the most transparent as well. Im not sure if thats a good or bad thing, especially at this price. I want to hear it lol.

I did have it up for sale but have withdrawn it for now. I dont need it for my pick playing, which so far has been 99% of the time, but im trying to go 100% finger style and for this its really helping even out my bad technique. ill hang on to it for a while yet but will have sold it by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Comp I've tested and permanent on my board. It is one of those you won't hear until you switch it off. Very versatile thanks to the well chosen control options, from a soft knee squish to hard knee limiting if you so desire. The input gain sets how much of your signal is affected... actually the review by ovnilab is fairly accurate, and it's a great site to browse through when looking for a comp:
Http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/mxrbass.shtml