Why become a member? ×

Which New Bass from this lot?

Thunderpaws

Hello all,

I am about to splash a lot (for me) of cash on a new bass. My budget is at most £700. Has anyone done a good comparison of this lot?

So far I have tried these:

Fender Highway One Jazz Black: Loved the sound and feel of the neck though the action was much too high in the shop so hard to play.

Schecter Model T: Liked the finish, the quality, the sound and neck shape. Didn't quite like the gloss finish on the neck as I found my hand sticking a bit...would this reduce with time

Lakland 44 02: Liked the neck, though action was too low so fret buzz lots on the one in shop making it hard to get true appreciation.

Fender Mexican P: Thought is felt a little light and volume dropped of significantly with tone low. Neck was nice shape though finishing not brilliant

Am going to try:

G&L L2000 custom sunburst

Any thoughts? I play mostly in the house, recording with some friends, see www.myspace.com/sunjunkiesmusic

Cheers for any suggestions or help.

g

The G&L but I`m biased. The Custom has a nice aged finish on the neck and it is so versatile, if that`s your bag.

I have played/owned all those basses at one time or another. Bear in mind that the G&L and the Schecter will have less 2nd hand value if you intend to move the bass on at some point compared to the Fenders. The gloss finish on the Schecter will be as tough as old boots and would need to be "sanded" down to remove some of the finish.

The Laklands are good basses but have you looked at an Ibanez sr500? It has the same pickups as the Lakland if I remember right but is around £500 new and are well put together with a satin finish to the back of the neck. I have owned a few Ibbys and they are great value for money with consistenly good QC which cannot always be said for Fender.

Jez

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1160647' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:20 PM']As much as I rate G&L, having listened to your tunes I think the second hand Stingray is the way to go too... plus no shiny neck. :)[/quote]

Hello and thanks for your feedback. I forgot to say that I don't play on all those tracks, only half of them. Anotonia's Party is fairly typical of what I get up to, though I am getting better. I think we should start gigging but we need a drummer and a singer!

I will have alook and see if there are any second hand Stingrays kicking about...I'd not even given them a thought as I thought they'd be out my bracket. I did like the Schecter Model T, Bassline pickups sounded great.

Cheers,

Garry

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1160705' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:08 PM']Hello and thanks for your feedback. I forgot to say that I don't play on all those tracks, only half of them. Anotonia's Party is fairly typical of what I get up to, though I am getting better. I think we should start gigging but we need a drummer and a singer!!

I will have alook and see if there are any second hand Stingrays kicking about......[/quote]
Cool. To tell you the truth I didn't hear much bass (listened to it on my lappy) I based my comment on how a 'ray would sit in with those tunes - and I think it would suit it very well.

Being a STP / DeLeo fan, I'm a lover of the model T, I tried to get a hold of one for ages but nothing ever came up... and then I got into single coil Ps instead which have an altogether more distinctive sound than the Model T.

Out of your list the Lakland gets my vote. Great all round bass in my opinion. In terms of quality I think it's a big step up from the Highway 1 Jazz and massive step up from a Mexican P. Although I can't comment on Schecter as I haven't played that model.

I loved my H1 Jazz, but I modded it a lot, and never really did get the action down very low at all. It was a pub gig workhorse, and not the easiest player ever.

My Schecter Model T was fab. A bass I wish I still had. Lovely finger funk over the bridge pup, nice and poppy, and a nice thump from the neck pup. Good bass.

L2000, fantastic basses, end of.

If [i]I[/i] was spending £700, and actually I might be, I also would think about another Stingray, although I've had two before, and sold them, so I have to ask myself why. Mainly down to the missing G on both of them.

The G&L will really bite you, they are amazing basses. The sunburst you speak of is my favourite, I've just bought one off here, I already have a natural/maple, a blueburst/maple.
I'm now selling all of my other basses.

I never (if I can help it) buy new anymore because of the depreciation. The cost of new basses have shot up in recent months and you'll never get anywhere what you paid new for a bass if you decide it's not for you and you want to move it on.

If you're going the secondhand Stingray route there's a nice Musicman Sub going on this very forum for a reasonable price [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120652&hl=sub"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120652&hl=sub[/url] not to far away from you either so you could try before you buy. I know nothing about Subs but a lot of Stingray fans on this forum say very nice things about them.

I guess that the G&L or Lakland are gonna be the most versatile choices, but they're all decent basses.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the MIM P because I don't think the Mexican Fenders are particularly good for the money. I would say it's definitely a step down in quality from all the others.

A Jazz has been my mainstay for the last 14 years, despite many other basses coming and going, so I guess I would recommend that although I do really like the Laklands. The neck on the G&L feels a little too clumsy for me, despite being a well built and great sounding bass.

If the neck is the only thing holding you back with the Schecter, just take some 1200 grit sandpaper to it and it'll be silky smooth!

Hope this helps.

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1160916' date='Mar 13 2011, 07:52 PM']I guess that the G&L or Lakland are gonna be the most versatile choices, but they're all decent basses.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the MIM P because I don't think the Mexican Fenders are particularly good for the money. I would say it's definitely a step down in quality from all the others.

A Jazz has been my mainstay for the last 14 years, despite many other basses coming and going, so I guess I would recommend that although I do really like the Laklands. The neck on the G&L feels a little too clumsy for me, despite being a well built and great sounding bass.

If the neck is the only thing holding you back with the Schecter, just take some 1200 grit sandpaper to it and it'll be silky smooth!

Hope this helps.[/quote]

I would hate buy a new bass and have to take sandpaper to it to make it work for me. Schecter seem to have a wonderful custom build department but waaaay out of my league.

I am going to try another Highway One and a G&L and another Lakland this week. The only thing about the Lakland is the aesthetics don't really do it for me, though the necks seem lovely.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' post='1160937' date='Mar 13 2011, 08:11 PM']I would hate buy a new bass and have to take sandpaper to it to make it work for me. Schecter seem to have a wonderful custom build department but waaaay out of my league.

I am going to try another Highway One and a G&L and another Lakland this week. The only thing about the Lakland is the aesthetics don't really do it for me, though the necks seem lovely.[/quote]

I can understand your reluctance, i've done it before but only with a used bass not brand new. It's not a case of trying to take the varnish off, just lightly abrading it with very fine paper to turn the gloss finish into more like a satin finish. It worked well for me and left the neck feeling almost like a brand new MM neck.

If the Highway One is badly set up, don't be afraid to tell the guys in the shop about it. Tell them you're potentially interested but would need to play it set up properly to make a decision. I worked in guitar shops for years and would've been embarrassed if a customer found a guitar in my shop that didn't play well!

Lakland gets my vote as well.

I do like the HW-ones though. Ive had 4 over the past 5 years and each one was outstanding (for me). Quite pricey now for what they are though. There is also the new American Special line. A bit like a HW-one but with a more traditional finish. Around the same price IIR.

Another good option would be a Squier CV Jazz. much cheaper, no less a capable bass but also doesn't sound like the HW-one Jazz.

Or even (dare i say it) a SBMM Ray34 CA. These look pretty good and are getting very good feedback over on TB.

Edited by dave_bass5

Without my natural bias towards all things Precision, from the comments made, I would ask the shop to set up both the Highway One Precision, and the Lakland properly, and try them again.

I think re the Schecter - the gloss may reduce within time, but the question is, how long. Spending that amount of money you don`t want to have to wait for 3 years for your bass to become to your liking.

Never tried a G&L but they get very favourable views on here, so it has to be worth adding in.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1161611' date='Mar 14 2011, 12:00 PM']Without my natural bias towards all things Precision, from the comments made, I would ask the shop to set up both the Highway One Precision, and the Lakland properly, and try them again.

I think re the Schecter - the gloss may reduce within time, but the question is, how long. Spending that amount of money you don`t want to have to wait for 3 years for your bass to become to your liking.

Never tried a G&L but they get very favourable views on here, so it has to be worth adding in.[/quote]

Thanks all for your help. I am going to go to Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh where I hope to try some more Lakland and G&L. They may have some Fender worth trying too. Another shop has suggested I try a Cort GB4 I think.....any views on these?

g

Well, the search continues. I AM GUTTED.

Phoned Absolute Music today to buy the Lakland Joe Osborn they had in desond hand. Looked beautiful in the photo's they sent through. I agreed to buy it, gave my credit card details and smiled for the rest of the afternoon, only to find they have sold it to someone else. "Deflated" is a word I could use right now.

Anyone got a Darryl Jones or Joe Osborn they want to sell?

Tonight I will do some work on my self build to take my mind of "what if"

g

Those Laklands are nice. If you like Jazz type basses a Geddy Lee is a cracking bass too. I think they have one in guitar guitar in Edinburgh. The neck and the build quality are fantastic. Some people are not too keen on the sound as can be a bit toppy but you can add bass at the amp to compensate.

But the neck is so slim it's effortless. I have one and it's the easiest bass to play I've ever owned. It's like playing air bass.