Why become a member? ×

Jaco in comping mode

timtoomany

I realise this is probably sacrilege to say, but I don't get on with most of Jaco Pastorius's solo work and I've never been all that keen on Weather Report. I do, however, like Bright Size Life very much, and I've just discovered the Joni Mitchell album Shadow and Light; Jaco is upfront in the mix and the band; it's a long way from simple comping but there's a laid-back feel to it. So my question is this: can you recommend other albums I should be listening to where Jaco takes a bit more of a back seat?

[quote name='blamelouis' post='1157178' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:47 PM']No .

Stick to inferior players , you dont get it.[/quote]
Timtoomany, the alternative to the advice quoted above is to ignore that advice and stick to what you like.

And it isn't sacrilege not to like something. I don't like the solo stuff either.

I had to sift through a lot of Weather Report to get something I liked...
I far preferred him as a sideman... as with a lot of solo players as it happens, AFAIAC

I like his work on Dreamland by Michel Colombier.. where he was excellent throughout, IMV.

[quote name='timtoomany' post='1157139' date='Mar 10 2011, 12:21 PM']I realise this is probably sacrilege to say, but I don't get on with most of Jaco Pastorius's solo work and I've never been all that keen on Weather Report. I do, however, like Bright Size Life very much, and I've just discovered the Joni Mitchell album Shadow and Light; Jaco is upfront in the mix and the band; it's a long way from simple comping but there's a laid-back feel to it. So my question is this: can you recommend other albums I should be listening to where Jaco takes a bit more of a back seat?[/quote]
This is probably exactly what you didn't want to hear but it's an interesting side of Jaco.

My favorite Jaco stuff is also the Joni/Metheny era.

+1 for the big band stuff!!
Birthday Concert is amongst my fave Jaco recordings!! You also get arrangments of a few songs he wrote in Weather Report where Zawinul (bless his heart) isn't fiddling all over them.

Also, how can you not like A Remark You Made from Heavy Weather, beautiful track :)

Si

[quote name='andyonbass' post='1157192' date='Mar 10 2011, 08:55 PM']You could try Ian Hunters "All American Alien Boy"[/quote]
Wow - I never knew about that one. That's some line-up!

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Alien_Boy"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Alien_Boy[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' post='1157854' date='Mar 11 2011, 11:32 AM']It's an abbreviation of 'accompanying'. Mainly used by jazz musicians.[/quote]

Thankyou!

There's another "comping" in recording. I've no idea what it's an abbreviation for, but it's when they stick together loads of different takes to get a good one.