Why become a member? ×

Whats that?

beerdragon

I took my Lakland that i bought off oldhorsemurphy to practise for the first time last, When i had taken it out of the case and plugged it in the drummers says its a Fender Precision!, no says i, its a Lakland. thats nice says our guitarst, never heard of Lakland, Me, a bit deflated now, yeah they are well known lots of people play them. How come i, a simple bass player has heard of probably every single make of guitar, drum. and keyboard. yet they have never heard of well known make like Lakland? makes you think. :)

*keef richards drawl*

hey, it's not about gear, man, it's about rock n' rollllll.

seriously though, the drummer (or any other member of the band) being ignorant about the bass or amp I'm playing doesn't bother me at all- unless they start trying to tell me which type to play.....

Edited by SJA

Don't really see it like that. I can't honestly say I know what keyboards the people I play with have, or the drums - guitars, yes, because I play myself. I only know if they sound good. Only notice a sax if its a Selmer but trumpets or trombones? Could be anything!

And Lakland are not that common (I think I saw one once but am not sure). Actually, I have never seen a Fodera in the flesh. I have only played on one Alembic once. Never seen a Shuker, seen one Ken Simth up close but never got to play it. Never seen a Sadowsky.

I think you are normalising your own obessive traits! :)

Or should I get out more?

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='Jase' post='131786' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:27 AM']Guitar players don't have a trained eye,...they don't have any eyes, they just see themselves :)[/quote]
In my experience they don't have ears that hear the rest of the band either!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='131817' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:56 AM']Don't really see it like that. I can't honestly say I know what keyboards the people I play with have, or the drums - guitars, yes, because I play myself. I only know if they sound good. Only notice a sax if its a Selmer but trumpets or trombones? Could be anything!

And Lakland are not that common (I think I saw one once but am not sure). Actually, I have never seen a Fodera in the flesh. I have only played on one Alembic once. Never seen a Shuker, seen one Ken Simth up close but never got to play it. Never seen a Sadowsky.

I think you are normalising your own obessive traits! :huh:

Or should I get out more?[/quote]

Maybe its because i've been around a bit. started off on guitar then sax, quickly moved on to keyboards ended up on bass. not only did i listen to records i scanned the music press ( this was long before the net ) for what instruments and gear people were using to get those sounds. kinda sad i know. :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='131781' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:22 AM'].... the drummers says its a Fender Precision!, no says i, its a Lakland. thats nice says our guitarst, never heard of Lakland....[/quote]
Just play it. They'll know all about Lakland after that!

alot of people only know the basic instruments i guess because thats all they're interested in, or all they've ever been aware of (fender/gibson etc) - personally i've got an inquisitive mind so i'll read, research and look at lots of different stuff whether its basses, guitars or whatever. A friend of mine recently bought an Ampeg B4R and was all excited about how good it was going to sound being a valve amp an all........ i didn't like to tell him.

peace

c

These threads always make me wonder what guitarists / drummers / keyboard players / singers say about US on their forums! (do singers have their own forums? What could they possibly discuss?)
Maybe it's best not to know. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='131972' date='Feb 1 2008, 03:02 PM']Lakland don't help themselves with that strange accent thingy over the first 'a'.

Are they saying you should pronounce this "Lakeland" like it's some sort of Norwegian word, or is it actually pronounced "Lackland" and they're pretentious as hell?[/quote]

It's Lake.
Most people think my bass is a Musicman but the sound is always complimented.
Thankyou FOH man.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='131790' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:28 AM']Laklands aren't that well known in non-bass circles. That's it, really.[/quote]

I was thinking that. I wouldn't say that Laklands are well known, because they don't make guitars. And the general public LOVE guitars, not basses.

[quote name='lwtait' post='132167' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:01 PM']I was thinking that. I wouldn't say that Laklands are well known, because they don't make guitars. And the general public LOVE guitars, not basses.[/quote]

Most of "The General Public" don't know the difference between a guitar and a bass :)