Why become a member? ×

Versatile yet classic bass?

Beedster

I have the opportunity to join a function band that might pay pretty well (weddings, corporate etc). I will likely need something more versatile than my now only electric bass (a '65 Precision strung with La Bellas), as the band will be doing anything from classic pop/rock through 70's/80's disco to contemporary indie and chart stuff. Even if I could do it all on my Precision, I'm going to need a back-up instrument as it's probably the sot of gig which doesn't tolerate cock-ups.

So, I'm looking for something extremely versatile. It's going to need to cover anything from Flea to Jamerson via McCartney and Deacon. I'd also like to maintain some classic styling. I consider a Stingray HH the likely best contender at present, but was wondering what else might fit the bill? I need a fairly substantial neck (hence I prefer Precisions and 'Rays to Jazzes and Sterlings).

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1151537' date='Mar 6 2011, 03:34 PM']G&L L-2000 = versatility personified.

(pic added) classic styling too
[/quote]

+1

L -2000 covers your criteria Chris.
Had 4 & 5 string Tribute versions,
but I always end up back with Jazz basses, which cover most things, but have "girlier" necks!

John

G&L is an interesting idea, thanks. Jazzes I kinda ruled out in the original post on the neck width (OK, I know not all Jazzes are A width), but to be honest, I'm not all that keen on Jazzes full stop really. I've certainly never found a Jazz that can really nail a Precision and/or Stingray tone.

So I guess to be more specific, I need something that'll give me at least those three core tones, the Precision Motown thump, the Stingray Chic funk, and whatever it is that Jazz basses do :)

My old Bongo was extremely versatile which is, I guess why I'm thinking in the MM direction. Not sure about the difference between HH and HS though if anyone feels like helping me out there (I know what they should be, just wouldn't mind knowing what the differences are in practice)?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1151557' date='Mar 6 2011, 03:51 PM']I need something that'll give me at least those three core tones, the Precision Motown thump, the Stingray Chic funk, and whatever it is that Jazz basses do :)[/quote]

Precision Deluxe?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1151554' date='Mar 6 2011, 03:50 PM']Lakland JO, preferably with the 35" scale.

If that's too expensive, go for the 55-01 maybe?

For a functions band, hell for almost any band, the Skyline option is perfectly acceptable.[/quote]
Does he want a fiver?

Chris, do you want a fiver?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1151577' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:07 PM']Of course he wants a fiver, Dave. He just doesn't realise it yet ...[/quote]
There is a case to be made for a fiver in that function band but personally I'd be resistant.

Perhaps we could club together and get Chris a D-tuner.

Crikey, great response guys, thanks.

Not looking for a fiver to be honest, I've just never found any reason to go below E and having the B just becomes and expensive thumb rest.

The Precision Special SHOULD be the perfect bass, but I haven't really ever got on with one. I don't really know what it was about them, but as Dave said above, I did once describe mine as 'agricultural' and I stand by it. The circuit wasn't all that clever, and no matter what I played it through, it just didn't sound great to my ears. It also didn't play well. Have they bought out a new version?

Lakland is an interesting idea. I love the look of some of them as well (call me shallow). I'm guessing the Decade isn't all that versatile, 'cos to my tastes, if it was, that would really be worth looking into? The JO's have never really appealed to be honest, are they any more versatile than any other Jazz?

PRS, I'm sure it's lovely (and there's a fair few fans on here), but it's a little too boutique for my retro tastes John :)

Cheers

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1151579' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:08 PM']If I was playing in a funtion band I'd probably use a P-bass but from what you are saying Chris I'd lean towards a Music Man type bass.[/quote]

If my '65 wasn't so perfectly set up and so perfect at doing what it does (the old 'one trick pony but it's a damn good trick' quote springs to mind), I'd put some rounds on, re-install a P-Retro and be very happy. There's part of me thinking I simply need to get another Precision and do just that. However, given I'm trying to set up a studio also, having a range of bass options is likely the better bet for that; despite my love for the Precision sound, there is still a hell of a lot it can't do.

Having gone from four basses to one over the last year, and having spent a lot of time and money on the studio, I really don't want to be buying another bass (well, I do, but I genuinely have much better things on which I could and should be spending the money). I'm therefore going to have to treat this as more of a business purchase than a recreational one (if the gig happens I'm doing it as a source of income alongside my other two bands). I lean towards 'rays because they're usually extremely well made, are versatile, look good, and hey, I don't use the G-string much anyway :). But, if there is something that is more versatile, equally aesthetically pleasing, and as well built (which I think may well apply to the G&L), I certainly want to take a look.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1151582' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:11 PM']The Precision Special SHOULD be the perfect bass, but I haven't really ever got on with one. I don't really know what it was about them, but as Dave said above, I did once describe mine as 'agricultural' and I stand by it. The circuit wasn't all that clever, and no matter what I played it through, it just didn't sound great to my ears. It also didn't play well. Have they bought out a new version?[/quote]

Yes, they have: [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php?partno=0194070700"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/searc...rtno=0194070700[/url]

[quote name='Beedster' post='1151582' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:11 PM']Lakland is an interesting idea. I love the look of some of them as well (call me shallow). I'm guessing the Decade isn't all that versatile, 'cos to my tastes, if it was, that would really be worth looking into?[/quote]
Chris, the Decade is versatile but perhaps not in the way you require as it's also somewhat idiosyncratic. Also, the Decade also has a definitely Jazz type neck. However, if you can't get your hands on one around Canterbury and you fancy a trip to Brighton to test one out you'd be welcome.

Edited by EssentialTension

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=117725&hl=Fender+Stu+Hamm+Urge"]This[/url] might do the job, but the neck might be too girlie for you.

FWIW I'd just use your precision and see how it goes - we all play better on an instrument we know and love.
Plus, just cos it's a function band doesn't mean you have to impersonate the bassist in every band you cover - you can do their songs in your style, with your sound, which I think is a much more honest and enjoyable approach.

Chris...

Come over and check out a couple of my basses... I virtually garauntee they will give you food for thought.

I can't see any gig like that being too much for a P-bass anyway..myself, but if you want to have a look at other things..??

Just get a Ray and be done with it Chris :) Cheap as chips right now for a cool 4 string that will also record very well in your studio, Mine are 100% silent. I have been told by a few sources that most good studios in the 80's and 90's had a Ray kicking about and are on more records than the guys bobbing around on TOTP with various other things would have you beleive :lol:

I have used my MM and EBMM's in 2 bands doing just the stuff your saying in your OP from old bluesy stuff through to Kaiser Cheifs with a variety of RH techniques and with/without a plec a Ray will always get you where you want in any mix. I prefer my 2 band pre EB (You did say retro cool!) but the 3 EQ works better for the indie era stuff, In the end I used to take my Jazz and the pre EB for the funky/rocky blues band and the Jazz and my 2002 Ray for the 80's-current function band. Not many basses left uncovered there IMO :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Beedster' post='1151582' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:11 PM']PRS, I'm sure it's lovely (and there's a fair few fans on here), but it's a little too boutique for my retro tastes John :)[/quote]
Not trying to shamelessly plug the PRS in order for you to buy it Chris but it honestly is the least boutique 'Boutique' bass I've played! It really does have that (dare I say it) Old School feel and of the tones that you said that you wanted, they are all in the PRS (pups and preamp are cracking). IMHO the neck is defo more P/Ray than J and it is a million miles away from the Warwicks. If you are ever on a jolly up North be sure to give me a shout! :)

I tend not to change my basses settings on function band gigs. Just get one sound that works and stick with it. In fact my bass is almost always set the same way for all gigs.
If you don't need a five I would just stick with what you have. Perhaps change the flats, but only if it doesn't work at a gig or rehearsal.
Also other musos love P basses!
Your title really describes an Fender... Versatile and Classic.