Why become a member? ×

been sacked again !

thunderbird13

No real suprise in itself but I'm really shellshocked about this one as it wasnt even a gigging band - just a rehearsal one playing bog standard covers. I wasnt really even into the music but because I liked the guys I went along with it. Today I got an email saying that that they have to sack me as I wasnt strong enough :)
I've been sacked before but this one really hurts as there was a social element to this lot and its not as if the band was going anywhere . I've probably said it before but I've now retired from playing bass due to the fact that I'm either :

crap.

A social misfit who doesnt fit into group situations.

Unlucky and only meet assholes.

Pity the second hand bass market is so bad at the moment I'm going to have to wait a while before I get rid of my gear

Not much else to say really :)

Don't give up Alasdair, I can guarantee I am more cr@p at bass than you are but just got lucky with my band. Right place, right time. It will surely happen to you too

PS, from my own experience I know you are not a social misfit!

[quote name='KevB' post='1148379' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:06 PM']What did they mean by 'not strong enough'? couldn't lift the PA single handedly or something? bizarre.[/quote]

1X15" not an 8X10.

Does suck large ones, my dad once said 90% of people are arseholes, so just on the balance of probability you will bump into a lot of them.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1148374' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:04 PM']Unlucky and only meet assholes.[/quote]

That's what I think has happened. If you're all just in it for fun, not looking to gig or 'make it' then someone is taking it WAY too seriously if they felt the need to fire you. Sounds like you're better off not being in that situation.

Don't sell your gear - why would you let idiots like that take away something you enjoy? Jam along to records at home - that can be a lot more fun and certainly a lot more musically satisfying than playing with someone that thinks they're the next Hendrix.

Sorry to hear this. I wouldn't let a couple of bad experiences put you off. Sometimes we just aren't right for certain bands (you acknowledge that it wasn't your dream band & I suspect they picked up on this). People then feel they have to offer an excuse which is usually not the actual reason - classic break up "It's not you, it's me" that don't really answer everything.

I'd sit tight and something will come along. Best of luck

I'm sure they exist, but I've honestly never met a cover band that is full of genuine people. There is such an air of superiority surrounding all the people I've met. Even the bands I've auditioned for playing covers have been so far up their own backsides a sneeze could be fatal.

Anyway, maybe think about getting together an original band with some mates, just for a laugh? :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1148381' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:07 PM']Don't give up Alasdair, I can guarantee I am more cr@p at bass than you are but just got lucky with my band. Right place, right time. It will surely happen to you too

PS, from my own experience I know you are not a social misfit![/quote]

Thanks - I'll have to buy you a drink next Friday then :) . I dont want to sound conceited but I've been playing bass long enough to have a realisitc view of my capabilites and I'm never going to be able to play like Geddy Lee but I can hold down a Green Day cover.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1148385' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:08 PM']Don't sell your gear - why would you let idiots like that take away something you enjoy? Jam along to records at home - that can be a lot more fun and certainly a lot more musically satisfying than playing with someone that thinks they're the next Hendrix.[/quote]

Funnily enough there were 2 Hendix songs in the set :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='1148398' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:14 PM']I'm sure they exist, but I've honestly never met a cover band that is full of genuine people. There is such an air of superiority surrounding all the people I've met. Even the bands I've auditioned for playing covers have been so far up their own backsides a sneeze could be fatal.

Anyway, maybe think about getting together an original band with some mates, just for a laugh? :lol:[/quote]

I've never really thought about it like that as I always assumed that original bands are more precious about their material

Thanks for the replies - as supportive as ever
TBH the whole reason I started playing bass again was to get away from all the stress in the rest of my life but it doesnt really seem to be working out that way. What with my wifes illness, having 2 properties I cant sell but have to pay a mortgage on, being stuck in a job I 'm totally bored with and being the only wage earner in the house I really wanted something that would allow me to escape from that stress for a while. Looks like I'll have to look for something else.

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that when I say they werent serious we're talking about 1 reheasral a month , thats what really gets me - being sacked from a group that only rehearses once a month with no gigs - its hardly an ego boost !

Edited by thunderbird13

You get used to getting sacked from bands eventually.... I've had to. I'm crap and I'm antisocial and I speak my mind when I should shut the f*** up.

Don't be downhearted, just keep checking the free-ads and look forward to having to learn a 50 song set in a weekend (again)!!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='KevB' post='1148379' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:06 PM']What did they mean by 'not strong enough'? couldn't lift the PA single handedly or something? bizarre.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Maybe they needed a hand removing a Footbridge? :)

Not sure what to say really..as it seems you have enough on your plate not to need all this.

I am not one for thinking bands should be your mates, but I think they could have handled this better if it wasn't working.
As it stands i am tending to take a dim view of the people who played this hand and I think you don't need mates like them.

Take stock, reflect a tad and worry about the situation closer to home which is infinitely more important.
This band/people could not even deliver for you when you needed it... it was going to be a waste of time..best off out of it.

Take a break and rest up....come back when you are ready.

Sorry to hear your news mate. Don't forget that if 90% of people are arseholes, then the figure is probably about 98% for"musicians". Some of the most delusional, self-obsessed and unreliable people I've ever met.

[b]Unlucky and only meet assholes.[/b][i][/i][u][/u]

Thats favorite. My limited experience of bands that dont want to gig, or rehearse forever never getting round to it, is that they generally are full of either dreamers, or arrisholes with even bigger ego problems than gigging bands who actually want to get the job done.

Dont give up, personal experience tells me that you will only regret it for years and years if you do. might take a while, but you will find something else, probably better, when you least expect it.

End of last summer I was in the same boat for what I felt would be the last time, and I felt like jumping off, now I got 2 bands ( one I found on this forum, the ad was why I joined, the other from an unepected email which came out of the blue ), both trouble free so far, and both playing the kind of R & B and rock n roll that I had been looking for for ages.

I must say that, these days at least, I'm playing with pretty much 100% decent people! :)
Back on thread, I can still remember the rejection of failing an 'audition' for a band.. I didn't even really want to play with them once I'd met them, but it was still a shock!
Gotta just keep trying TB - once you get the right folks you'll be stress-free!

[quote name='MythSte' post='1148398' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:14 PM']I'm sure they exist, but I've honestly never met a cover band that is full of genuine people. There is such an air of superiority surrounding all the people I've met. Even the bands I've auditioned for playing covers have been so far up their own backsides a sneeze could be fatal.

Anyway, maybe think about getting together an original band with some mates, just for a laugh? :)[/quote]

perhaps I've been lucky then because my last 2 covers bands have been brilliant. Part of my audition process is to decide if they're the sort of people i'd have a beer with. both have passed with flying colours. originals however.........

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1148525' date='Mar 3 2011, 04:10 PM']If the rest of them were any good, wouldn't the band have been gigging or at least playing at open mic/jam nights rather than rehearsing for er... nothing? They sound like a bunch of idiots. Don't give up bassing, get into another band or form your own. I'd recommend getting to a few local jam nights.[/quote]

In fairness 2 of them were in gigging bands and this one was set up to keep them occupied when the other bands were quiet

If you enjoy playing bass at all don't give up over this. If these guys are playing Wembley in a couple of years then maybe, just maybe, you were the problem... but I'd say you're probably ok. Dust yourself off and get stuck in again :)

Reality check here.

Apart from that misunderstanding with the chainsaw in the swimming pool, you don't come across as a social misfit. :)

You accept that you aren't going to be Geddy Lee and that shows you aren't delusional - something that every crap bass player I've ever met has been.
So, unless you've invented an entirely new way of being crap, you can forget that one!

That just leaves the 'meet crap people' aspect...
[b]You joined a band who don't ever intend to gig and only have enough enthusiasm to practice once a month.[/b] :)

In all honesty, it sounds to me as if you've had a lucky escape from a pretty pointless exercise.

As has already been suggested, get your ar*e down to a couple of 'plug n play' nights - they're a breeding ground for bands!