Why become a member? ×

Ok im converted

krth1985

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1137239' date='Feb 22 2011, 03:59 PM']what is it? which 5 strings have you bought?[/quote]

Its a fender J active deluxe.

Original sale thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121646&st=0&p=1115756&#entry1115756"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1115756[/url]

I had a Fender USA Deluxe 5 string last year, I doubt there's really any difference. It was probably one of the best 5 string basses I've ever played.

A 5 string just makes more sense to me.

A lot of people give up too quickly with them. I ' mentally practised' for a few weeks before I bought my first one. Just thinking about the layout note wise, and how I would play songs on it. I found that really helped me adapt to it.

Im making the change to 5's as well at the moment :)

To me there's nothing worse than battling with a shabby B string!! puts you off right from the start but once you find one you like it makes sooooo much more sense!

I find the idea of playing both 5's and 4's a bit daft really!! especially the idea of having the same bass in 5 and 4 string version!! odd!! lol
so for me its either one or the other :) hence the sale of my 4's :lol:

:D

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1137505' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:15 PM']I find the idea of playing both 5's and 4's a bit daft really!! especially the idea of having the same bass in 5 and 4 string version!! odd!! lol
so for me its either one or the other :) hence the sale of my 4's :lol:[/quote]

Im not saying anything :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1137505' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:15 PM']Im making the change to 5's as well at the moment :)

To me there's nothing worse than battling with a shabby B string!! puts you off right from the start but once you find one you like it makes sooooo much more sense!

I find the idea of playing both 5's and 4's a bit daft really!! especially the idea of having the same bass in 5 and 4 string version!! odd!! lol
so for me its either one or the other :) hence the sale of my 4's :lol:

:D[/quote]
You can have my fender 5 for your sadowsky 4 :P

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1137589' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:54 PM']hehe :lol:

just out of interest doesn't the 5 cover all that the 4 can do and more? im heading down this route soon so wondering if im missing something ? :)[/quote]

Well the pre EB is a slap monster (unfortunatley im not up to its standard) its easily my favourite bass of all time for all styles, The 2002 SR4 I have had from new and was until less than a year ago my main bass for many many gigs it also cuts through in a rock/indie mix better than the pre EB so its still the go to 4 string for that sort of stuff. My very modded jazz bass is awesome too but gets used the least right now but when something suitable comes along that requires a more gentle touch than a Ray its there waiting to be used.

I love the 5 more each day (Im playing it between posts right now) theres lots more options and its opening up my playing loads each week that goes by but I still like rocking out on a 4 now and again. Trying to explain the advantages of a 5 to people who are already closed off will never get it, Theres nothing wrong with playing a 4 string forever but its great to have to think about how and why your playing what your playing and what other ways it can be done allowing maybe an open note dropped in that you couldnt do before for example.

Get one and enjoy it, Just stick with it as your only bass for a few weeks and your away :)

I find a 4 and a 5 not only feel different, but apply differently and sound different every time. Just like all basses do.

Eg, my Ray 4s...great for diggin in and basically playing how I like. Less room for error.

The Ray 5? You know, I love this bass. Stunned by its quality, 100%.

But, it does make me play differently. Although you can, Id much rather play the 5 with fingers, and it tends to make me lean towards playing music I dont normally play in my bands. In my current band, a 4 string with a pick is perfect. It just suits the style, and the comfort factor.

For some reason, rock/punk etc seems more 'right' on a 4 string. Although you can do it on a 5er.

I think being able to play both is the key for my musical tastes. The 5 will never feel like the 4, but the 4 will never have the extra options....its give and take.

I 100% know Ill always have 4 string basses, no matter what.

I play a 5 string double bass and find that there are significant differences between the same notes played on a high C rather than above the fifth fret of the G. My inotnation is better on the 5 and I rarely need to go above thrid position in a routine standards set (which is why the intonation is better). There is a strained quality that is characteristic of the double bass as you go up the neck (like singer going out of their range) and it brings a huma quality to the sound that electric basses lack. On the five, this effect occurs at a different place.

I guess my point is that the difference between a 5 and a 4 string bass (electric or double) is not just defined by the lower/higher 5 notes. I don't like low Bs; never found them sufficiently warm enough for me, but have to admit to never having tried a 5 string electric with a high C. Have had 5s and 6s but never found the extra range particularly useful.

5 all the way for me. If ever I see a 4 str I like the look of..I always think wish that was 5.
I just don't think or hear in terms of 4..and missing that low string would throw me and also the neck would feel so strange.

I could get used to it again if I had to...but don't feel I want to go down that route.
There is nothing I can't do on my 5 that I could do on my 4.

I know it is only a few extra low notes, but......

Agree, it's not so much about the extra few notes but about the ability to play with less position changes. Only reason for four strings is: the weight of the instrument. I sometimes wonder if a four string tuned B-E-A-D would not make more sense than the traditional tunings. Changing from one to the other took me well what? a day or two?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1137589' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:54 PM']....just out of interest doesn't the 5 cover all that the 4 can do and more? im heading down this route soon so wondering if im missing something?....[/quote]
Personally, I don't see the point of switching back and forth.

5's can cover everything that a 4 string can do but it doesn't work the other way around. 4's and 5's can sound different but the better the instrument the less that will notice. There is a difference in the feel but if you practice you’ll get past that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1138498' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:12 PM']Isn't it too soon for another four versus five thread. Tha last one has hardly had time to go cold.[/quote]

Indeed, especially when our enthusiam for our own instrument sometimes turns into tacit criticism of those who choose a different format. I'm as interested in trying to convince those who play a different format bass to me to do otherwise, as I am in listening to those who do the same. Live and let live say I!

That said, glad the OP is enjoying his current foray into 5 string waters...

Just been at it again today, gone through the set list for fridays gig. I made a concious effort to use the extra string and although i wasnt in the 'groove' as i would have been on the 4 string it is a lot eaiser - less moving around the fret board etc - its also giving me loads of new ideas. Cannot wait for friday :)