Why become a member? ×

The Great Bass Census

Bankai

[b]First Bass Owned: Modulus Graphite Quantum 6 [/b] - I started on the usual crap copies everyone else does but they were all borrowed. Then a kind friend loaned me a decent bass for a few years while I saved up for my own. I was then seduced by the bling of carbon fibre, extra stings, exotic wood, EMG's etc for a couple of years before going back to reality when I needed the money for house renovations.

[b][b]'Go To' Bass: MTD 535 -[/b][/b] Well, I think it is but I've only just got it. I had a Czech-made MTD 5 some years back that I regretted selling so this is a super-deluxe version of that one. So far, I'm really enjoying playing it but there's lots of active eq still to experiment with.

[b]'Your' Bass: Reverend 5L - [/b]fine quality plastic, about as far away from my first bass as possible but it's a keeper.

I've only ever owned two basses and I've still got both of them, so this is going to be short.

[b]First Bass Owned: [/b]
[b]Squier Affinity P bass, black, flats, 20th anniversary edition, 2nd hand including amp and bag for £100 still used for practice[/b]

[b]'Go To' Bass: [/b]
[b]Squier CV Jazz, olympic white, flats [/b]

[b]'Your' Bass: [/b]
[b]I gig with the jazz because I love the colour, practice with the P, so probably the jazz[/b]

Edited by lanark

[b]First Bass Owned: [/b]
This was a horrible little short scale thing that had the name 'Raver' on the head. Not great at all but it got me started. Cost all of £26.

[b]'Go To' Bass: [/b]
At the moment it is my Status Electro 2. Lovely warm tone and a doddle to play with TI Jazz Flats on it.

[b]'Your' Bass: [/b]The tone I love most comes from my Status Series 2000. I first tried one in the Wapping Bass Centre in 1987 and never forgot the neck profile and the tone. Picked mine up used in 2009 and still a joy to play, look at and listen to.

• 1 month later...

[b]First Bass Owned: [/b]Burns Baldwin Shadows Bass
[b]'Go To' Bass: [/b]Fender USA Precision Bass 1999 Vintage White, Rosewood board - completely standard
[b]'Your' Bass: [/b]A Custom Shop medium relic in black, bassed on the above but in a P/J config with a [u]neck [/u]Jazz pickup in the bridge position and wired in stereo with outputs on the pickguard and in the side. 2 x concentric pots on the pickguard

Edited by mercuryl