Why become a member? ×

Heaviest bass?

Roland Rock

I was flicking through an old BGM and was reading about the Yamaha BB1024x, which apparently weighs 12kg/26lb (I assume it should be 12lbs, either that or the bridge is made from dark matter)

Mine (78P) is a healthy 11ish lbs - hefty, but feels fine to me. No back problems yet after ten years, but I'm 15st and 6'1" myself, so maybe we're a good match.

Anyone play a real backbreaker?

note: I am aware that some people have had real problems with their backs due to heavy instruments, and I don't mean to make light of your pain (npi)

Edited by Roland Rock

Depends who you're selling to.

I've had enough back/neck/shoulder issues over the last few years that "What does it weigh?" is routinely the first question I ask about a bass that looks interesting.

I no longer own any basses over 9.5lbs and I won't buy any more basses over 8.5lbs.

On t'other hand, there's no shortage of folk who apparently still believe that the tone is in the wood, and that heavy = good.

I built a perspex Precision:

[attachment=71956:pink1200.jpg]

Tips the scales at 14lbs, kills my back & I can barely manage one song with it. :)

Heaviest bass I can (mostly) comfortably gig with is my old JapCrap Jazzer which is a shade under 10lbs but I'm gravitating towards lighter planks - it's only a matter of time before my Hohner B2A becomes my permanent gigging bass instead of a backup!

Anyone want to buy an 11lb Peavey T-40? :)

Jon.

Hmmm following my Gibson victory artist thread from yesterday and the revalation that they can weigh in the region of 13lbs i did some bass weighing this morning.

My MM Sabre (which i thought was the lightest i had :) ) 10lbs 15oz !! Must just balance really well or something, feels light as a feather to me.

Stingray 4. 10lbs 1oz. Standard fare for a Ray i guess.

Sterling by MM Ray35 = 11lbs dead. I find this fairly weighty but certainly playable, i just cant believe it is only 1oz heavier than the Sabre....maybe i'm just wierd... :)

Edited by TommyK

My Bubinga Schack weighs in at 11 lbs as pictured, you notice it picking it off the stand compared to an Ash bass, I'm 6' 2" and it is Ok on. I wouldn't want to go heavier. I do have bad posture and starting to pay for it. But the tone you get from these dense basses is worth the pain.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1124676' date='Feb 12 2011, 09:42 AM']Depends who you're selling to.

I've had enough back/neck/shoulder issues over the last few years that "What does it weigh?" is routinely the first question I ask about a bass that looks interesting.

I no longer own any basses over 9.5lbs and I won't buy any more basses over 8.5lbs.

On t'other hand, there's no shortage of folk who apparently still believe that the tone is in the wood, and that heavy = good.[/quote]

Same here - weight really matters to me but after reading this thread, my 10.5 Lb jazz bass seems a bit lighter than it did.
So, thanks for that. :)

Back in 1980 I was only 19 body building, gym going, motocross racing, tough and rough, and I had this lovely but bloody heavy Ibanez Musician MC924 PW (Pearl White) which weighed something in the region of 13lbs, that's nearly 6 kilograms of back breaker! But you know I was a young'un then and it didn't bother me one bit, and I am sure the heavy construction contributed to the sound it used to bellow out. Nowadays when I think back at that bass, I laugh when I compare it with the weight of my 7lbs Dingwall ABZ, that's nearlly half the weight of the MC924. But yeah it was a great bass all in all

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1124620' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:02 AM']I was flicking through an old BGM and was reading about the Yamaha BB1024x, which apparently weighs 12kg/26lb (I assume it should be 12lbs, either that or the bridge is made from dark matter)

Mine (78P) is a healthy 11ish lbs - hefty, but feels fine to me. No back problems yet after ten years, but I'm 15st and 6'1" myself, so maybe we're a good match.

Anyone play a real backbreaker?

note: I am aware that some people have had real problems with their backs due to heavy instruments, and I don't mean to make light of your pain (npi)[/quote]

It's not the heavy basses that have caused my problems (more like heavy lifting and various injuries), but obviously they won't have helped.

Heaviest I've had were my 2 Jaydees which I'd estimate were about 12-13lb each and an ESP Jazz that felt even heavier than that. Now anything over 9lbs is out of the question and I prefer more in the region of 7 or 8, which is what we're aiming for with my Rim. Even my old Ric (8.5lbs tops) is starting to cause me problems, which I never thought would happen. :)

Edited by 4000

My first ever bass was a Sunn Mustang P-bass copy.

Looked bad, played even worse, and was the weight of a small horse.

Being my first, I didn't know how bad it was until I bought another bass.....I thought it was normal!

I remember a friend having it passed to him at the time - he was sitting on a bed - I passed it over - the weight caught him umprepared and it sent him (and the bass) flying backwards!