Why become a member? ×

Are some people not destined to play 5-strings?

Evil Undead

I keep thinking I would love to play a 5-er as those low notes would be great for metal... so now and then I drop into the local music store to try some out, but I just can't get on with any of them.

I can't put my finger on what the problem is, but none of them feel right.

Has anyone else had this problem when trying to find a 5, or make the transition? What did you do? Just buy one and hope it grew on you, or stick with the 4's?

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114537' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:15 PM']I keep thinking I would love to play a 5-er as those low notes would be great for metal... so now and then I drop into the local music store to try some out, but I just can't get on with any of them.

Has anyone else had this problem when trying to find a 5, or make the transition? What did you do? Just buy one and hope it grew on you, or stick with the 4's?[/quote]

i'm with you - i have a 5 string and its great to noodle with but come to studio time I know which one i'm happy with - obviously practice helps with evrything though but cant imagine me gigging with it.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114537' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:15 PM']I keep thinking I would love to play a 5-er as those low notes would be great for metal... so now and then I drop into the local music store to try some out, but I just can't get on with any of them.

Has anyone else had this problem when trying to find a 5, or make the transition? What did you do? Just buy one and hope it grew on you, or stick with the 4's?[/quote]
been struggling with the same concept myself.

4's great to play speedily (punk/metal/funk/slap)

5 is more of a slower instrument for me (dub/step, d'n'b etc..).

are you sure your not getting 'not getting on with it' confused with not spending enough time with a 5.. you need time to get used to it maybe.. after that time yo may still not feel comfortable... try a smaller necked 5 maybe.. i know i found going from a jazz 4 to a Sei 5 very easy once you get your fretboard knlowledge down.. it had a great thin neck..same as an SR5.. whereas a Lakland 55-01 was a bit more changelling, and a TRB6 more so..

there is nothing physically stopping you making that transition...it just takes time..

What 5's did you try?

Edited by bubinga5

Different angle but owning one has never appealed to me. I can see the obvious benefits but none of the bands I like use them so I'd always leave them for other players. I do what I do & if a band want something else then they get another bassist.

I've tried them in shops & enjoyed them to play around on but they don't fit with the music I play

It took me months to really get the hang of it, I kept making daft mistakes like fretting the e string and plucking the B where I was so used to the E being the lowest string.

Once i got the hang of it, and consistantly playing the 5, it was fine. However, I struggled when I went back to a 4.

Because Im a bit of an old tart, I like to play different basses but eventually I found there was too much hassle changing form 4 to 5 to 4 so I sold my 5 and happily stayed with 4 strings since then.

I found the lower notes less used and less usefull than I thought, and you can always use a d tuner, but found the ability to play a bigger range of notes without moving my left hand so much very usefull

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1114559' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:28 PM']What 5's did you try?[/quote]

I tried so far... an Ibanez BTB1305E, a Vintage, and some horrible cheap thing from another local store chain.

The Vintage had the nicest neck of the 3, and the string spacing was good, but it was 34 scale, and I didn't like the B string... felt like there wasn't enough tension on it.

The Ibby was nice as well, 35 scale and the B was much more... can't think of the word, but I liked that B a lot more. But the neck.... man.... it was like trying to get my hand round a door cos it was so flat and wide. Not pleasant at all :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1114565' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:30 PM']When I made the transition from 4 to 5 it took me a good couple of weeks to get to grips with it.
I don't even think about it now, it's just an instrument the same way that my 4 string was.[/quote]
Same here, I started on a five mid december because the new band required it, I played it exclusively for three weeks with the 3 bands gigs and practices even though 2 of them could all be done on a four string. Then I needed to do some studio stuff that I really wanted to do with a 4 (slap=pre EB Ray :) ) it felt ok swapping back and forth. Last nights practice all on the 5 , just come in from tonights practice with the function band after doing it all on the 4 string EB as it was gathering dust!
I still cant tell a good five from bad that's why I just went all in with the Ray 5. Ten mins in a shop won't tell you much and I think it just needs a bit of commitment early on until it's nailed then like Ian says it's just another instrument.

Just gotta keep trying mate.
When I was hunting for a 6er years and years ago, I tried everything but they all felt ...weird. Then one day, got my hands on a Washburn XB600 and it was perfect. Just what I wanted.
There's something for everyone out there. Just keep looking and you should end up with a bass that doesnt require re-learning how to play.
That is of course, if you're desperate to play 5er!

Truckstop

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114600' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:51 PM']I tried so far... an Ibanez BTB1305E, a Vintage, and some horrible cheap thing from another local store chain.

The Vintage had the nicest neck of the 3, and the string spacing was good, but it was 34 scale, and I didn't like the B string... felt like there wasn't enough tension on it.

The Ibby was nice as well, 35 scale and the B was much more... can't think of the word, but I liked that B a lot more. But the neck.... man.... it was like trying to get my hand round a door cos it was so flat and wide. Not pleasant at all :)[/quote]
If you dont like a wide neck you should maybe try a Stingray5, oh i was gonna say that wasnt i.. depending your string spacing preferences... i know where your coming from with the wide flat neck...i really didnt like the Sadowsky RV5.. too wide, and a floppy B string... I though the Fender Jazz V was better at a 1/4 of the price... still wide though.. i found the Lakland 55 more managable though..

If you are a fingerstyle player who anchors his/her thumb then you may find that you are having touble with keeping unplayed strings under control. 5 string playing opened up for me when I learnt to switch over to the floating thumb. Once you have that you can really fly across the fretboard.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114600' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:51 PM']I tried so far... an Ibanez BTB1305E, a Vintage, and some horrible cheap thing from another local store chain.

The Ibby was nice as well, 35 scale and the B was much more... can't think of the word, but I liked that B a lot more. But the neck.... man.... it was like trying to get my hand round a door cos it was so flat and wide. Not pleasant at all :)[/quote]

I apologise if any of the above were in fact what I'm talking about...

I bought a cheap 5 string and absolutely hated it, but when I joined a band that needed one I just bought the 5 string version of the 4 string that I was happiest with, (a Peavey Inter) and it felt perfectly natural and I couldn't see what the problem was in the first place!
Until I played one of the cheap ones that I'd previously owned and still hated it. Fallen totally in love with the Peev 5 and even use it in my other band when I've no need for a 5.

So in other words, keep trying them and you'll find one.

For the first time in about three years, I took my Nathan East Sig to rehearsal on Tuesday. Bit of a mindf**k to be honest.

I "grew up" basswise playing exclusively 5 strings and didn't have a 4 string to my name until I started doing cover bands several years ago. Now, I find the 5 more alien than the 4 and find myself thinking "4" when playing 5 whereas it was the reverse when I first got my "normal" basses. lol

As others have suggested, it's just practice that'll sort it. Sooner or later, after putting in the hours, you'll be as comfortable on a 5 as you are on a 4.

T

i think an important thing is to not think of a 5 as a 4 with another string.. when possible, base your bass lines just around the B and work from there and learn the notes.. that way the scales from the B string will become second nature. and jumping down to the lovely low notes. and in the mean time, you will have gotten used to the extra width... Bingo..

I don't know about others but my destiny (at least for the medium term) does not include any 5 string basses as i have just sold the 2 that i tried to like.

There was a period of adjustment and i did get used to the wider fretboard and enjoyed being able to use different fingerings without so much movement. For me though anything other than 4 looks and feels a bit like a freak. And when i play a 4 it feels just right. And i can't think of anything i need to play that i can't cover with a 4. And finally all my favourite bass players use 4 strings. If thats good enough for them its good enough for me.

Still, each to their own...

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1114606' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:55 PM']Just gotta keep trying mate.
When I was hunting for a 6er years and years ago, I tried everything but they all felt ...weird. Then one day, got my hands on a Washburn XB600 and it was perfect. Just what I wanted.
There's something for everyone out there. Just keep looking and you should end up with a bass that doesnt require re-learning how to play.
That is of course, if you're desperate to play 5er!

Truckstop[/quote]

Similar thing for me too.

I tried a few 5ers and didn't get on with them at all. I bought a Warwick 5 string because i love their 4 stringers - hated the neck.
One of the nicest 5ers i tried was a Stingray, also the OLP i owned was similar. Funny as i don't like Rays as 4 stringers!

I'm much more picky with 5 string necks but can feel comfortable on any 4 stringer. I guess with 5ers and 6ers things like neck width, shape and string spacing are more critical as more adjustment has to be made.

As with anything, buy used and sell on if you don't like it.

I'm on my second 5 string - I had a peavey millennium, but now an epi t-bird pro-v. I dipped into the Peavey only occasionally so didn't really give myself the chance to get into it, but since getting the t-bird I've made an effort to play it as much as possible. The first couple of gigs I did with it I felt that I needed to look at my hands as it felt a bit strange and I felt there was a risk of hitting the wrong string, but I noticed yesterday that now I can happily play it without looking at either hand (much).

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1115189' date='Feb 4 2011, 01:02 PM']Ok, I'll keep trying. The local family run store doesn't stock many 5's so I may have to make a number of trips there to see what's in. There's another music store in town but it's a chain, and not very good really.

Can anyone recommend brands to try? Preferably 35 scale[/quote]

I know you found the Ibby BTB uncomfortable because of the neck width but take a look at their SR range - reputed to have the slimmest and fastest necks going...

I just got a 5 string a few months ago and I seemed to initally get on with it OK as I played in like a 4 string with an extra string ( if that makes sense )) but now I'm noticing that I'm begining to play things differently, more across the strings than up and down the fretboard. So basically now I wil play the same riff incompletely different ways depending on whether I'm using a 5 or a 4 string

Thats probably no help at all to you :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114537' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:15 PM']Has anyone else had this problem when trying to find a 5, or make the transition? What did you do? Just buy one and hope it grew on you, or stick with the 4's?[/quote]

When I got my first 5 string- a Warwick Corvette-I just spent a lot of time with it and started to take it out on gigs pretty much
straight away.There's nothing like jumping in at the deep end to force you to get it together.
It just takes time to sit down and get used to the feel of the instrument.

• 1 month later...

So, bought me a used 5-string (from the forum) a month or so ago, just to have a go with and see how I got on. It's definitely the nicest one to play of all the 5-er's I've tried over the last year or so.

But it still just doesn't feel quite right (for some songs more than others), and I always find my hands wandering straight back to my 4 string.

What does it mean? More practice? That maybe I should stick with 4?

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114537' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:15 PM']....I keep thinking I would love to play a 5-er as those low notes would be great for metal... so now and then I drop into the local music store to try some out, but I just can't get on with any of them.

I can't put my finger on what the problem is....[/quote]
I can.

Tell me you can't play a 5 string bass after a year. Then I'll believe you.