Why become a member? ×

Are some people not destined to play 5-strings?

Evil Undead

[quote name='icastle' post='1156541' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:01 PM']Why not just cut out the middle man and stick a link to it straight in the BC 'For Sale' section..? :)[/quote]
Yeah good point.....then it won't sell and I'll be putting it back onto the 'bay for another loss!

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1115189' date='Feb 4 2011, 01:02 PM']Can anyone recommend brands to try? Preferably 35 scale[/quote]
From what you said about necks, try the Peavey Grind and Peavey Cirrus (possibly the Millennium too). Schecters are also worth a look at.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1155840' date='Mar 9 2011, 08:57 PM']Just wondering but does anyone here have trouble switching between 4, 5 and 6 strings?[/quote]
No. I could use the 5 in one covers band but use the 6 so as to try and keep some mental agility, so I play 4 in one band (fretless, plus an Ashbory and an NS WAV-4, so I go from 18" scale length to 41"), 5 in another, and 6 in the third. Not using the 7 at the moment.

I started on a four then went to a five because the guy who I borrow his bass from bought fives. When I bought my first bass it was a four, because I found I was using the B string far too much..

Now I have fours, but occasionally borrow a friends five for some gigs and have no problem switching. I like the balance of tone between the fours, but the fives are great for some styles. I hadn't used a five in 2 years and went straight on it for the gig. It's practice and alot to do with confidence.

I've got my eye on a MM 5, but my wallet says otherwise :-(

I think the key is to practice.. it's like walking. But if you haven't played one before force yourself to play all the songs you play in your current gig on the five and practice at home, when you’re comfortable, or the gig is not ubber important switch to the 5 and stay on the 5 till you're comfortable. Usually 2months of playing will be enough also try some exercises..
I'm sure doddy and bilbo will have some exercises for you to try ;-)
Just don't stop playing with it ;-).