Why become a member? ×

cheapest bass in most expensive situation

lojo

With all the debates about MIM vs MIA or super sadowskys etc etc

I was wondering what the cheapest bass we could confirm was, being used in an expensive situation

I mean, in a famous band or a backing band playing in a venue that seats 10s of 1000s etc

Anyone know of a MIM being used at a sell out stadium gig?

or a cheapo used on recording that become known to all ?

Edited by lojo

I saw Julian Crampton playing an MIJ Jazz at the jazz cafe..he has played with some greats.. he let me play it in the dressing room backstage too. the guitarist who was incredible was playing a Squire strat...

its all in our minds..

Edited by bubinga5

Mick Quinn from Supergrass played his Ibanez Blazer bass.

Billy Gould from Faith No More used his Aria Pro 2

not bass but Frank Dunnery from It Bites used a jap Squire strat.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1112816' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:54 PM']I seem to recall some bloke using a cheapy hofner violin bass on some records .[/quote]

it was too, it was a copy of the much more expensive Gibson.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1112826' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:01 PM']it was too, it was a copy of the much more expensive Gibson.[/quote]
Didn't McCartney get the Hofner because it was something like £40 compared to
a Fender which was over £100??

Paul Westwood has played with soooo many people and on tons of albums and gigs and his main bass
is a Hohner Steinberger copy.
The guy from Los Lonely Boys uses a Hohner as well.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1112826' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:01 PM']Mick Quinn from Supergrass played his Ibanez Blazer bass.[/quote]

According to an interview i read the natural Ibanez he always used was his first bass which he never felt the need to replace as it sounded spot on.
Also his main recording amp (for their 1st 2 albums anyways) was an old Carlsbro combo - again his first amp.
So the massive bass sound you hear on their albums comes from kit you'd find in a pawn shop in the early ninetes!

I read an interview, I think it was in bass guitar mag a couple of years ago, with Glen Matlock in which he said that he was using a Mexican P bass that Fender gave him as a pressie rather than taking out his 60`s P whilst out with the pistols.

Jez

[quote name='Doddy' post='1112845' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:08 PM']Didn't McCartney get the Hofner because it was something like £40 compared to
a Fender which was over £100??[/quote]

yep, but not the Fender, it was the original Gibson EB1 which was violin shaped, so he went for the cheaper copy.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1113213' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:10 PM']yep, but not the Fender, it was the original Gibson EB1 which was violin shaped, so he went for the cheaper copy.[/quote]

Yeah I know about the EB1,but I seem to remember an old interview where he says that Fenders were too expensive,
and that was why he went for the Hofner,because he wouldn't buy it on tick.