Why become a member? ×

Any really famous people spotted on BC?

bubinga5

[quote name='KevB' post='1112043' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:34 AM']I can understand why they wouldn't become regulars, maybe look in occasionally as a guest or look at it on someone else's computer but not get directly involved. Irrespective of all the squabbling, to the really well known players it's a job and has been for many years. Do all of us with regular day jobs go home and then log on to user forums so directly related to what we do every day for a living? Not me.[/quote]

Yes! ............... oh God, I didn't realise how sad I am :)

[quote name='charic' post='1111994' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:31 AM']And he's am absolute gent. Had a great night at one of their gigs hanging out and just chatting bass :) (see what I did there? :))[/quote]

I sold him an Ampeg 8x10. Came to pick it up and offered me and the kids tix for that nights gig. Top chap !

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1111850' date='Feb 2 2011, 12:01 AM']Andrew McKinlay - James Taylor Quartet
Dave Swift - Jools Holland
Joe Hubbard - 80's session giant
Jimmy Sims - Saturdays/Mika
Rob Burns - 80's session giant
Guy Pratt - Pink Floyd
Ed Hetherton - Elliot Minor

Janek Gwisdala and Steve Lawson occasionally show up to promote something.

I know Randy Hope Taylor, Nick Fyffe, Paul Turner and Lee Sklar have browsed but not joined, I strongly suspect Mark King is aware of the site. Any others haven't made themselves known.[/quote]
Really Famous?
That's a list of people who nobody apart from other bass players would have ever heard of.
I'm not disputing any of their respective talents on the instrument (even the ones I've never heard of) but I very much
doubt if even they would regard themselves as "Really Famous".

[quote name='RhysP' post='1112134' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:01 AM']Really Famous?
That's a list of people who nobody apart from other bass players would have ever heard of.
I'm not disputing any of their respective talents on the instrument (even the ones I've never heard of) but I very much
doubt if even they would regard themselves as "Really Famous".[/quote]
Look, there is only one REALLY FAMOUS bass player anyway, and that is [b]Mark King v Flea[/b].

[quote name='RhysP' post='1112134' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:01 AM']Really Famous? That's a list of people who nobody apart from other bass players would have ever heard of.[/quote]
True. No one who's [i]really[/i] famous plays bass. Like -say - Barack Obama, Jackie Chan or Bill Tarmey. Really famous people get really famous because they want to be noticed.

By contrast, 99% of bass players shun the spotlight. Showing off is just not their muffin. Therefore nobody [i]really [/i]famous will ever be spotted on BC. And that's the way we like it.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1112152' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:23 AM']True. No one who's [i]really[/i] famous plays bass. Like -say - Barack Obama, Jackie Chan or Bill Tarmey. Really famous people get really famous because they want to be noticed.

[b]By contrast, 99% of bass players shun the spotlight. Showing off is just not their muffin. Therefore nobody [i]really [/i]famous will ever be spotted on BC. And that's the way we like it.[/b][/quote]
I like the way you think.

I can only think of a few bass players that are [i]really[/i] famous i.e. mention their name to the average man in the street and they will know who you're talking about. Paul McCartney and Sting spring to mind, and even they aren't famous just for playing bass-they are songwriters and singers as well. Other possibles include Bill Wyman, Lemmy and Sid Vicious-well he did sort of play bass!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1112152' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:23 AM']99% of bass players shun the spotlight. Showing off is just not their muffin. Therefore nobody [i]really [/i]famous will ever be spotted on BC. And that's the way we like it.[/quote]
I was once in a photograph in OK Magazine - does that count?

No, sorry Clarky. Not unless it was the cover.

I bought a TE head from Shonks - Steve Shone - and was captivated by some of his tales - he's been a pro for 40 yrs and toured with some big names - Tina Turner, Kim Wilde... sure he won't mind me mentioning it.

Edited by Paul S

[quote]Do all of us with regular day jobs go home and then log on to user forums so directly related to what we do every day for a living? Not me[/quote]

Sadly, yes. I won a couple of awards for financial services blogging, albeit via pseudonym. I guess it's a bit like being on the forum here, that avatars have their purposes, especially when trying to distance your personal views from your employer's. That said, I don't mind chatting finance with people - I think the only thing which would bug me would be if I was someone like Steve Bee (pensions legend), where every conversation seems to fall back to "you're Steve Bee". Which I guess is how many famous players find the world.

I bumped into the Cronos from Venom on BCRichplayers.com, and he was an absolute gent.

Good to see people rubbing shoulders on here, regardless of their level of playing.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1112168' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:40 AM']I was once in a photograph in OK Magazine - does that count?[/quote]
The feature on 'Banking's Silver Foxes to watch in 2006'?

Lewis (The Professionals) Collins played bass in the Mojos. Well, Stu James' Mojos, the band that went out after the break-up. And who could resist being in [i]Lewis's [/i]fan club.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1112185' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:53 AM']The feature on 'Banking's Silver Foxes to watch in 2006'?[/quote]
Actually it was a photo of someone else that I was standing next to - I was described as "and friend". Fair do's, fail on the famous stakes!

[quote name='KevB' post='1112043' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:34 AM']I can understand why they wouldn't become regulars, maybe look in occasionally as a guest or look at it on someone else's computer but not get directly involved. Irrespective of all the squabbling, to the really well known players it's a job and has been for many years. Do all of us with regular day jobs go home and then log on to user forums so directly related to what we do every day for a living? Not me.[/quote]
Bit off beam mate, that.

Most pro players wouldn't see their "job" in the same way a refuse collector would see theirs?

Pro players didn't go to a job centre and get offered a job as a bass player and go home thinking "sh*t I hate this job!", well apart from orchestral players that is :)

Anyone making a living from the arts almost certainly would want to discuss their art medium with others quite regularly.

There are plenty of pro players on BC.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1112152' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:23 AM']True. No one who's [i]really[/i] famous plays bass. Like -say - Barack Obama, Jackie Chan or Bill Tarmey. Really famous people get really famous because they want to be noticed.

By contrast, 99% of bass players shun the spotlight. Showing off is just not their muffin. Therefore nobody [i]really [/i]famous will ever be spotted on BC. And that's the way we like it.[/quote]

I'm sure Bill Bailey can turn his hand to bass :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1112196' date='Feb 2 2011, 12:05 PM']Most pro players wouldn't see their "job" in the same way a refuse collector would see theirs? [size=2][color="#0000FF"][sup][i]Citation required[/i][/sup][/color][/size]

Pro players didn't go to a job centre and get offered a job as a bass player and go home thinking "sh*t I hate this job!", well apart from orchestral players that is [size=2][color="#0000FF"][sup][i]Unvalidated presupposition[/i][/sup][/color][/size]

Anyone making a living from the arts almost certainly would want to discuss their art medium with others quite regularly. [size=2][color="#0000FF"][sup][i]Unsubstantiated expostulation - please supply criteria[/i][/sup][/color][/size]

There are plenty of pro players on BC.[size=2][color="#0000FF"][sup][i]Transparent obfuscation - no evidence that Lewis Collins is a member[/i][/sup][/color][/size][/quote]
Wiki-fixed :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1112176' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:48 AM']I bumped into the Cronos from Venom on BCRichplayers.com, and he was an absolute gent.[/quote]

His Mum was one of the biggest fans of my last band! She used to come to every gig. She gave one of Cronos' cowboy hats to my son!! :)