Why become a member? ×

Would you play absolutely ANY gig?

matski

I played in a band back in the 80's that I hated - but it was the only money I earned (as other jobs were very thin on the ground). So if I needed to earn a living then yes I'd play ANY gig. However I do not earn a living from music and I play for myself only now, so no, I would not play ANY gig now.

But hey, I do have my (rather high) price if anyone wants me to play a gig :)

EDIT: Having just read some other posts, I hadn't really thought of ANY gig including the likes of Glitter or the BNP. No I wouldn't ever play any gig. My moral code wouldn't allow me to do that even if I needed the money, but this is just my personal view and no reflection on anyone who would play such gigs.

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='Doddy' post='1111092' date='Feb 1 2011, 03:02 PM']But what about if you have to deliver BNP (or whoever)promo material?
Would you flat out refuse to deliver it,or just get on with it and do your job?[/quote]

I don't have a choice. I and my employer are legally bound through the Representation of the Peoples Act and the Postal Services Act to deliver such material. I don't like delivering it and thankfully this issue only arises at General Elections (they don't seem to bother with others around here) but to refuse would be breaking the law. It is something I cannot control and is out of my hands.

However, if I was asked to play bass as part of a band for the benefit of the BNP for example then that is something I can control and can refuse - there aren't any statutes that say I'd have to play.

So two different scenarios.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1111092' date='Feb 1 2011, 03:02 PM']But what about if you have to deliver BNP (or whoever)promo material?
Would you flat out refuse to deliver it,or just get on with it and do your job?[/quote]

Bloody good answer that.

Anyway.... I was a pro and it is much much worse not enjoying a tour with a group of band members ( who are T**ts ) than working for a living, not enjoying your job. Less hours involved in a normal job than a jobbing musician - and by and large more money. But for something like music- where it should be fun- not enjoying it is soul destroying- really.

Think I have the best of both worlds- with a pretty successful business and two great gigs per month with a fabulous group of like minded people.

Having my cake and eating it.

Answer- no I wouldnt play for anyone I didnt like - be it the guy at the end of the street with his amateur band- or Elton John- the truth!!

Bob

Not being a pro I can only try to transfer my experience in other fields to this, and use my imagination.

I think "pro" is the keyword here. Unless a gig would prevent me from getting work elsewhere, and would pigeonhole me in a certain religious and/or political scene, I'd probably take it.

Other gigs that I wouldn't take are the ones that are simply not paying well enough to be worth the effort.

Yes - I would play absolutely any gig because (a) it's not my day job (:) I derive great pleasure from simply making music. That said, if I cannot hear myself due to an absence of monitoring (e.g. no bass amp and only FOH sound meaning NO monitoring) or there is some member of the band that means the songs literally fall apart, then I say no, or (if possible) leave.

That doesn't really work because people would know you're just the postman. We've gotten BNP and EDL stuff through the door during elections and I've yet to consider the postman a xenophobic racist.

I think if you were up on stage doing a benefit gig then there'd be a tendency to assume that you were supporting the cause. I certainly wouldn't do it if I was a pro. Playing with a band you don't like is different, okay somebody might assume you're in a crappy band or like country and western, but that wouldn't bother me. People assuming I supported the BNP would bother me.

The perfect illustrtion of my point. Actual relevant stuff starts at 2:04ish

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='Conan' post='1111168' date='Feb 1 2011, 04:51 PM']Cool! Page two and we're almost on to Nazis already!![/quote]

[attachment=70673:lemmy2.jpg]

For the record, the Lemster says he is not a Nazi: "They just had the best uniforms. I always say that if the Israeli army had the best uniforms, I'd collect those."

[quote name='matski' post='1111177' date='Feb 1 2011, 04:00 PM']Anyways, back on topic:

So it boils down to this: if you're a pro, you should never say no. If you play music for fun, you can do what you like.[/quote]

I think one of the first things you need to learn as a professional is that you can turn down gigs. I mean, if they can't/won't pay what you want, you don't do the gig. If you just play anywhere, anytime for any fee, then you have no bargaining power.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1110994' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:55 PM']Would you play for Gary Glitter? Not even for a million pounds?! :)[/quote]
Well, justice (in strictly legal terms) has been done and he's served his time so why not? But only if I don't have to dress up!

More seriously, given that recent news story where a christian couple running a B&B business were found guilty of discrimination because they wouldn't let a gay couple sleep together as it was against their beliefs, could a pro musician be similarly charged with discrimination if they refused to play with someone or some band on the grounds of personal belief?

I took a job with a country band in the 70s. I dont like country music but it taught me loads, and I made some good friends.
Sometimes we dont give other types of music a fair hearing, and most things will stretch you as a musician if its new to you

[quote name='matski' post='1111177' date='Feb 1 2011, 04:00 PM']Anyways, back on topic:

So it boils down to this: if you're a pro, you should never say no. If you play music for fun, you can do what you like.[/quote]

I think at least initially you should be taking everything but as you get more established there are certain gigs that you don't
tend to get offered as much anyway,as hopefully you continue to get 'better' work.
I've never turned down a gig for stylistic or personnel reasons.The only ones I've turned down are because they haven't been
worth it,usually financially.However,I'll still do occasional gigs for these guys,because you may need them to call you
for a gig if it's been a slow month,and you don't want to burn any bridges.

OK I'll take the bait

For a million pounds I would let Gary Glitter play with me!!!

Almost everyone has their price but it is different for all of us on different days. If I was skint and needed cash to pay the rent then I would do most anything. If I was flush then I would hold out for what I wanted.

Just my tuppence ;-)

[quote name='matski' post='1111317' date='Feb 1 2011, 05:31 PM']So, much like any other profession where you are freelance, basically. Interesting.[/quote]

Basically,yeah.

It doesn't mean it takes the fun out of it,because pretty much everyone I work with has various projects
that they do just for the craic.

As a semi pro I get to pick and choose which I like. My Dad was pro in the 60s and wound up mostly playing with acts he hated. He stopped playing and has rarely played since. However if my income depended on it I'd certainly play with acts I didn't like. I think it's a different issue when it comes to bands with Nazi links etc and I would draw the line there personally. But in terms of would I back Boyzone etc, sure, why not? I'd charge 'em extra mind!

I'd prefer to make my own music first and foremost but I don't have any qualms with playing with anyone for money, unless I have some clear objection to their music (Gary Glitter got mentioned, I'd never play with a convicted paedophile). I love playing bass, it's what I anticipate will make me money the rest of my life and I'm confident about this, but if the opportunity to make money came up then I would most likely take it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1110989' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:53 PM']Artistic "integrity" is just another word for snobbery in my book and an excuse to for people to look down their noses at someone who is doing something that they can't or wouldn't. That doesn't make it wrong![/quote]

Artistic integrity is not snobbery. It is about being true to yourself. If you are an artist and not a craftsman, you have choices to make about what you do with your talent. If you commit to something such as only playing your own material, maintaining that commitment at all costs takes integrity. Doing everything and anything for money requires very little. However, if your 'commitment' in that case is to provide food for your children, then taking every gig at all costs has as much integrity as only playing folk music. Its a question of perspective.

Personally, I won't play bad music any more. Did it for years and realised I don't need to and it was harming me so I stopped. Now less gigs but better quality music. Suits me but I pay the bills in other ways.

For me the truth of this situation is more about how tolerant one is. I find that I can enjoy playing stuff that I wouldn't listen to. It feels different actually performing it and stuff that I would otherwise consider cheesy might seem like quite a lot of fun to perform. I wouldn't refer specifically to people I have worked with but I have played with some people who I felt were not so good until I playing with them gave me a bit more insight... I have had some disappointing ones too. The one exception to naming names is Bruce Forsyth, I felt Bruce was the epitome of finger down the throat cheese, throwaway saturday night tv guff, then I did a show with him and I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the guy. He sang, danced, joked and even played in a piano trio setting with me and the drummer. I left the stage humbled.

I do realise there is a bit of a difference playing a show like I described and some sh*te arse norbert in a local boozer for 30 squids

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1111438' date='Feb 1 2011, 06:51 PM']For me the truth of this situation is more about how tolerant one is. I find that I can enjoy playing stuff that I wouldn't listen to. It feels different actually performing it and stuff that I would otherwise consider cheesy might seem like quite a lot of fun to perform. I wouldn't refer specifically to people I have worked with but I have played with some people who I felt were not so good until I playing with them gave me a bit more insight... I have had some disappointing ones too. The one exception to naming names is Bruce Forsyth, I felt Bruce was the epitome of finger down the throat cheese, throwaway saturday night tv guff, then I did a show with him and I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the guy. He sang, danced, joked and even played in a piano trio setting with me and the drummer. I left the stage humbled.

I do realise there is a bit of a difference playing a show like I described and some sh*te arse norbert in a local boozer for 30 squids[/quote]

There probably isn't a better example of the right answer to this question...

Why do we keep getting these questions? They are always asked by hobbyists about professional playing situations and include typically unrealistic views.

Do you hobbyists go to work at any time not liking the journey/boss/co-workers/job/office/clients? I bet you do. Have you lot no integrity?

Ah, hold on, I've got to go, Gary's on the phone about a gig.

Edited by chris_b

Many people on this thread have quoted the BNP and nazis as people they wouldn`t play for, and I`m in agreement with them.

However, what about the extreme left-wing political groups, as I wouldn`t gig for them either, as many of their ideas and policies are equally repugnant as BNP/NF etc.