Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='s1ater' post='1106355' date='Jan 28 2011, 04:13 PM']I went in there today to buy that one... You got there first

ended up with the gold les paul copy in the window instead :)[/quote]

I phoned them yesterday morning and apparently they had a white one as well but I got them to stick my name on the blue one and they would have kept it for me till Monday. :)
Still nice guitar and its getting a set of black nylons later this eveningnplus a lowering of the action.
I can only repeat what others have said,well worth the dosh.

As a matter of interest did they comment about the sudden popularity of their guitars?

[quote name='nick' post='1106616' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:21 PM']Unwrapped it, given it a quick going over. Obviously needs a set-up & a decent set of strings, but it really is not a bad bass - quite pleasantly surprised.[/quote]
I must confess all of this sounds like a lot of fun and they certainly look cool. Whilst I massively approve of a charity getting money over Argos the one danger I sense is new players owning a badly set up bass that you wouldn't get from my local Independant music shop for example. I reckon most here know what they are doing and will have a great time modding these I do suspect a few new players may well struggle on with poorly set up kit. It'll be like the 70s & 80s all over again! :)

[quote name='tarcher' post='1106628' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:28 PM']I phoned them yesterday morning and apparently they had a white one as well but I got them to stick my name on the blue one and they would have kept it for me till Monday. :)
Still nice guitar and its getting a set of black nylons later this eveningnplus a lowering of the action.
I can only repeat what others have said,well worth the dosh.

As a matter of interest did they comment about the sudden popularity of their guitars?[/quote]

They didn't mention having another one... In fact I had to explain what a bass guitar actually was to the woman :)

not to me they didnt :lol:

Here's my review copied from another forum in 3 posts:

1. I thought about it. Delivery charge = £0.00p. It's the price of a good night out, or so I'm told.

I've ordered one and if only to tweak it and experiment a bit. A new band I'm trying out for practice in a tiny room and it won't matter if I knock it a bit.

2. I've just got in from work and the bass is awaiting for me.

Let's be objective here, and forget cost for a moment.

Accessories:

Gig bag, slightly padded with pockets and a leather handle, better than some Fender canvas bags I've seen.

Strap, cheap but hey it works.

Lead, as above really, at least it's not 'curly'.

There's even a truss rod allen key.

The bass itself:

First of all it's quite light, I'll weigh it later but it's certainly not a ball breaker by any means. Paint finish is pretty immaculate and the scratchplate is 3 ply. The string through bridge is apparently good quality and is a 'high mass' copy. (No not that Catholic thing that appeals to many). The neck relief is reasonable and the intonation is nearly spot on although the bridge saddles are right up and the action is much too high for my liking.

The neck wood has those 'flecks' in it that always make me think of cheaper woods but hey, it does have a 'skunk stripe'.

The open tuners are obviously copies but are sturdy and smooth.

The frets looks good with no sharp edges but we'll see when I lower the action. I'll also replace the strings. The fretboard isn't 'perfect' in that it has some 'lumpy' grain around the G string but I don't think that's an issue

Tone wise initial impressions are that it has a good output and a fair bit of punch but little warmth or sustain. The volume pot has most of it's adjustment in it's first bit of travel but both pots are smooth.

I haven't got a cheap bass and at £120 I'd consider this a bargain. A new bunch I've started playing with practice in a tiny shed and their eyes lit up when they saw my ACG. Better to drag along something more akin to the environment and risk of damage.

I'll put new strings on and lower the action and let you know how it progresses. It may really benefit from new pups or electrics but with a bass of this value that could be a mistake. I'll see, and it'll maybe be in Moffat in just over a week for you to abuse.

3. I've lowered the action (using the other allen key I found tucked away in the lead bag) and taken a bit of relief out of the neck. No buzzing at all. The bass still sounded 'nah'.

I put some Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on and:

[size=7]OMFG[/size]

Night and Day.

I popped them on one at a time starting from the E and each time my other half heard me yelling how good it was. The old G string was the worse by far and that too was sorted.

Oh and the neck pocket is tighter than a nat's chuff on a Sunday.

It's sounding good through the active input on my amp as the passive was clipping a bit. I still need to raise the pups a tad too.

60 quid plus a set of strings hanging around that I was probably never going to use - unless the neck is like a banana in the morning I'm really pleased.

Oh my balls are bigger now and stick out a bit.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1106700' date='Jan 28 2011, 08:43 PM']Tone wise initial impressions are that it has a good output and a fair bit of punch but little warmth or sustain. The volume pot has most of it's adjustment in it's first bit of travel but both pots are smooth.[/quote]

That's something I've never understood.
In nearly every case I've seen, the volume pot is just the wrong value on budget range basses and swapping it fixes the problem.
Daft thing is that it doesn't cost any more to use the right value pot than it does to use the wrong value pot - unless there's a factory turning these out that accidentally ordered a million pots instead of a thousand... :).

[quote name='tarcher' post='1106735' date='Jan 28 2011, 09:15 PM']Just put the black nylons on mine and its bloody lovely,looks well cool too.
However I got no gig bag or tools with it so I shall have words tomorrow.
Well done to who ever spotted these,a veritable bargain. :)[/quote]

They made me pay for a case in the shop...

I can remember when Japanese made products were referred to as 'Jap Crap' and were often of dubious quality. I believe that Japanese products nowadays are among the best on the planet.

I work in Lakeland's (The kitchen people) warehouse at the moment. At least 70% of their products (often with household brand names) are made in China. Chinese tat is a misnomer and the standard of their product is at best brilliant and otherwise improving rapidly.

Here's some photos of my £60 bass:

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1106755' date='Jan 28 2011, 09:39 PM']I can remember when Japanese made products were referred to as 'Jap Crap' and were often of dubious quality. I believe that Japanese products nowadays are among the best on the planet.

I work in Lakeland's (The kitchen people) warehouse at the moment. At least 70% of their products (often with household brand names) are made in China. Chinese tat is a misnomer and the standard of their product is at best brilliant and otherwise improving rapidly.

Here's some photos of my £60 bass:

[/quote]
From those photo's that looks soooooooooooooooo worth £60 - how can I stop myself? Well I have to get the car MOT'd tomorrow :)

[quote name='theosd' post='1106795' date='Jan 28 2011, 10:29 PM']White or blue, white or blue, WHITE OR BLUE!?!?!?!?

(help?)[/quote]

At that price, both. You can flip one at a profit when they sell out and people are clamouring for them. If I wans't about to move, and had more liquid cash, I'd be doing this.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1106653' date='Jan 28 2011, 07:56 PM']I dunno burrito there are some shockingly bad set up basses in music shops.[/quote]
Yep the tech at PMT [i]checked[/i] my SR5 before I took it away, I bet some of the £60 ones have arrived better setup than my SR5 luckily a fellow BC'r put it right within hours of purchase.

These basses look so good for the money! If they did a T-Bird version I would be first in the queue!

[quote name='icastle' post='1106732' date='Jan 28 2011, 09:12 PM']That's something I've never understood.
In nearly every case I've seen, the volume pot is just the wrong value on budget range basses and swapping it fixes the problem.
Daft thing is that it doesn't cost any more to use the right value pot than it does to use the wrong value pot - unless there's a factory turning these out that accidentally ordered a million pots instead of a thousand... :).[/quote]
+1
Just had the scratchplate off mine, I wanted to wire in a PIO cap on the tone pot....
I am going to change the pots first, they're those crappy little ones you sometimes get on early Japcrap. No point in going overboard with putting CTS pots in, but a couple of Alphas will be a vast improvement.

The other thing is, out of curiousity I put an old black scratchplate from a Tokai up to it, to see if it would fit. From what I can see, it wouldn't be a major modification to fit a P-Bass scratchplate - just a bit of trimming around the neck area.

[quote name='nick' post='1106853' date='Jan 28 2011, 11:18 PM']+1
Just had the scratchplate off mine, I wanted to wire in a PIO cap on the tone pot....
I am going to change the pots first, they're those crappy little ones you sometimes get on early Japcrap. No point in going overboard with putting CTS pots in, but a couple of Alphas will be a vast improvement.

The other thing is, out of curiousity I put an old black scratchplate from a Tokai up to it, to see if it would fit. From what I can see, it wouldn't be a major modification to fit a P-Bass scratchplate - just a bit of trimming around the neck area.[/quote]

No hanging around then! :)
Anyone else started dismantling theirs yet?