Why become a member? ×

Plectrum Or Fingers

Mlucas

Fingers for me! Due to spending many years playing bass 'wrong' I attack the strings quite hard which creates an aggressive tone somewhere in between a pick and a slap which fits my style perfectly! I used to play with a pick for faster parts as I found it easier, but due to some teenage anti-plec snobbery i stuck to fingers for so long that I physically can't play with one any more lol.

I always think that this question is like asking a guitarist which he prefers - chords or notes!

I would expect a 'rounded' player to be able to use both. I personally prefer my fingers most of the time, but for certain feels, tracks, or sections of tracks (i.e. Fleetwood Mac's The Chain - the 'Grand Prix' bit...) a pick is the only way.

Most of my early influences were finger players, so I was later coming to a pick. I still need to practice it a bit!!

One player who (sort of) combines both is Geddy Lee - with his long fingernails giving almost the attack of a pick, but also the fluid dexterity of fingerstyle. IMO of course!! :)

I use my fingers pretty much all the time,but have no problems playing with a pick.I'd rather not use one
but I can,as proven when I had some finger problems a few weeks back and used a pick for a couple of weeks (about 24 shows).

Pick for me. I can play finger style to an average level, but definately prefer pick. I play mostly fast, driving, rock music, and also like playing chords and stuff. I find that I can get nice round warm tones playing up near the neck, and aggressive tones near the bridge, so that'll do me :)

I am trying to improve my finger style, as I can see the benefits that are available. It's taking a while, but getting there :)

Being able to master both styles is ideal.

But I began playing with a pick back in the '80's and then switched to fingerstyle. Now I only play fingerstyle. I'd like to be able to do both, but I don't have the time to do the neccessary amount of practice to do them both well, so I'd rather be good at my chosen style than poor or mediocre at both.

My choice of fingerstyle is based on my personal view (ie not expecting everyone to agree) that this is more versatile across a variety of musical genres.

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1097467' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:27 PM']Being able to master both styles is ideal.

But I began playing with a pick back in the '80's and then switched to fingerstyle. Now I only play fingerstyle. I'd like to be able to do both, but I don't have the time to do the neccessary amount of practice to do them both well, so I'd rather be good at my chosen style than poor or mediocre at both.

My choice of fingerstyle is based on my personal view (ie not expecting everyone to agree) that this is more versatile across a variety of musical genres.[/quote]

What he said ^^ except with a pick - I started on a guitar in the 70s and I have stuck with pick. I'd love to master finger style but need to devote what time I have to keeping my pick playing right. Doesn't seem an issue for players in bands - you see footage of people like, say, Geezer Butler - who has that trademark finger style right up at the neck - playing with a pick on occasion. No big deal.

[quote name='alant' post='1097477' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:32 PM']Pick most of the time, but fingers on some numbers. I always suffer with blisters when trying to use fingers too much as I think I probably play too heavily - any advice to prevent them?[/quote]

Apart from use a pick you mean? :)

Try and keep a couple of mm of finger nail on your playing hand - it provides a little bit of protection for your fingers and gives you something to pull the strings with.

Try and use three fingers instead of one or two - it might feel awkward but, once you get used to it, you can play faster and the 'wear and tear' is spread more evenly.

Relax and don't hit the strings so hard - turn your amp up a bit if you need to.

[quote name='alant' post='1097477' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:32 PM']Pick most of the time, but fingers on some numbers. I always suffer with blisters when trying to use fingers too much as I think I probably play too heavily - any advice to prevent them?[/quote]

Turn the amp up and practice playing lighter. You'll get the same volume but with more tone and speed.

ALways fingers, never pick.

It's not prejudice because that is defined as an 'unfavourable opinion formed beforehand without knowledge thought or reason'. I played pick for two years when I played heavy metal and then realised (gained the knowledge) that the sound pretty much sucks (reason) and that the bass sounded better (fuller/warmer) with fingers. I get that people like a pick to play some musics but I almost invariably don't like those genres (punk, thrash metal etc) and only really play music which invariably sounds better with fingers rather then pick. I love Steve Swallow, who only uses a pick, I love Anthony Jackson, but not when he uses a pick, I love Chris Squire who only uses a pick etc.. so I am completely hypocritical.

But, as the OP implies, this is about ME and I don't use one ever by choice (except when I play guitar, where, having spent time working on Al DiMeola's methods, I have a better picking technique than most guitarists :))

[quote name='KevB' post='1097448' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:15 PM']There used to be a story that Chris Squire used to use a flattened dime coin - now that's a *man's* pick! :) personally I say whatever the song requires. It's all about the music, not some snobby convention.[/quote]

I believe Chris has been using something like a Herco or Dunlop velvet pick since the 70's, and that his thumb hung slightly over the edge creating a "double attack" type sound. Someone will be along in a minute to clairfy this.