Why become a member? ×

Plectrum Or Fingers

Mlucas

I`ve always used a plectrum, though am able to use fingers. Plectrum for me gives more attack and precision, which for the style of music I play, punk & hard rock, I find essential.

Have been improving my finger playing recently, as was very nicely given a set of flats which I`ve put on one of my basses, and have found these encourage me to play finger style, and then I seem to be playing more motown style.

Both.

Each technique sounds different and lends itself to different styles and feels, and pick, fingerstyle, slap, thumb-muting, etc are techniques that every bass player should have in their toolkit to be able to use when appropriate.

[quote name='Mlucas' post='1096792' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:51 PM']I totally agree on the dependency on the music but i always feel there is a natural discrimination against pick wielders..[/quote]
Nah, only the ones who smell of cheese! :)

There is a natural discrimination against bass players, there is a natural discrimination against pick wielders and then there are those who just shut up and play :)

[quote name='Mlucas' post='1096720' date='Jan 20 2011, 07:53 PM']Which do [b][u]you[/u][/b] prefer? What are the merits or disadvantages of each to you?[/quote]

Fingers every time for me.

Nothing against pleccy users - I just don't get the 'feedback' that I like from the strings otherwise.

[quote name='Mlucas' post='1096792' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:51 PM']I totally agree on the dependency on the music but i always feel there is a natural discrimination against pick wielders..[/quote]

If there is, it's because a lot of the people you see out there who really can't play well are often amateurishly sawing at a bass with a pick. Think the Pete Wentzes and Sid Viciouses of this world. :)

I think it just makes those who really can play with a pick, like Anthony Jackson, Hellmut Hattler and Bobby Vega look even better!

Both. Played with a pick for 25-odd years before deciding I really ought to brush up on finger technique. Now it's mostly fingers - about 95% probably so I suppose that constitutes a preference.

That's not to say I think either's "better" - I would say each has different strengths and weaknesses but for the most part, certainly in the context of what I play they are pretty much interchangeable.

Jon.