Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

image.thumb.png.226cf07ab38974a8c99cb05ce7111a8f.png

image.thumb.png.1b157b80f8b3b73b671dc9cec475e76b.png

Not much difference between these two, other than colour and scratchplate type the main difference is that the black bass has a Himass bridge and the white one doesn't.  I've added a thumb block to the white one and if I enjoy it will do the same to the black.  They're just bog standard Player basses and I love them.  Simple, effective and they play and sound great.  The black one is for standard tuning and the white one for full D / weird tunings (one of the guys in the band keeps talking about Soundgarden covers and I'm hoping the bass can cope with the demented tunings required).

Nice 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

As from this morning I’m the proud owner of a brand spanking Fender Player Precision. It’s the first stock Precision I’ve ever owned and I’m loving it. I’ve nearly always had jazz neck type basses so this is pleasantly different.

6111C7BA-BA00-435C-9395-07EFF2D8A1E0.jpeg

Edited by How1
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

Sent my P Bass build away to David Wilson for a refinish. It was 3-tone sunburst, but is now sonic blue. The picture doesn't pick up the true colour, it's a fair bit lighter in real life. It's got a light relic finish, similar to the Fender Journeyman CS relics.

PXL_20230522_161106338.thumb.jpg.49defe4f98315b089b24d0443cb8c3a9.jpg

Specs are: a Fender MIJ 70s P body, Fender Road Worn 50s P neck, Creamery Classic '58 pickup, Fender anodised aluminium pickguard, ashtrays, knobs, and tugbar, Squier JV reverse gear tuners, Hosco threaded saddle bridge, and Gotoh strap buttons, string tree, and neck plate.

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Beaten up dude from the early-mid '70s; Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup, replaced pickguard, replaced knobs. Does most of the small scale pub etc gigs where I don't want to risk anything pricier; as a result I'm very attached to him! 

IMG_20230614_230005_561.thumb.jpg.36ef7493306717ec077adc934784f147.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dicey said:

Beaten up dude from the early-mid '70s; Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup, replaced pickguard, replaced knobs. Does most of the small scale pub etc gigs where I don't want to risk anything pricier; as a result I'm very attached to him! 

IMG_20230614_230005_561.thumb.jpg.36ef7493306717ec077adc934784f147.jpg

Lovely. I tried a 1980 p fender P bass. The neck was beautiful. How come you changed the pick ups? 

2 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

Lovely. I tried a 1980 p fender P bass. The neck was beautiful. How come you changed the pick ups? 

The poor creature came to me as a husk, so I had no pickup at the start! I'm very, very happy with the SPB-1 though! In fact, I'm considering another one for the P Bass I'm currently building! 😁

14 hours ago, Dicey said:

The poor creature came to me as a husk, so I had no pickup at the start! I'm very, very happy with the SPB-1 though! In fact, I'm considering another one for the P Bass I'm currently building! 😁

Oh. I wish got into bass the level I am now years ago. I missed out on all the gems at an amazing price. 

glad you like the pick ups. I’ve never tried them before 

Something slightly different but still precision - my MIM Cabronita that has been modded. I once played a highly ltd edition Borrocha bass that comes from the cabronita line and it was sublime. These ‘standard’ ones share the same outstanding neck so I replaced the pup with the TV Jones Supertron like the borracha and swapped the bridge to a BBOT. Strung with fender flats it is pure thunder and growl 😍

IMG_4727.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Here is family picture of mine

Fretless bitsa (Bravewood body)

Black bitsa strung with flats (awesome sounding bass)

P Bass Lyte, in pretty good shape owned 22 years now

My '73. Refinished many years ago and nicely played in, owned now for 33 years and used on thousands of my gigs

'81 P bass special, almost mint this one

20230716_114952.jpg

Edited by police squad
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Bassman1974 said:

Used some matt gold vinyl to cover the old black pickguard. I was surprised by how well it went with the body colour

20230826_130250.jpg

20230826_130354.jpg

That looks absolutely lovely! 

Did you finish it yourself? What is the finish/wood? 

And how did you cut the vinyl so accurately?! 

Sorry for the questions, it's just I immediately want to go and out together a p just like that! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jackopie1 said:

That looks absolutely lovely! 

Did you finish it yourself? What is the finish/wood? 

And how did you cut the vinyl so accurately?! 

Sorry for the questions, it's just I immediately want to go and out together a p just like that! 

Thanks man,

It's actually an Ash body from Northwest guitars. It was sprayed with black nitro paints in places, rubbed back, and finished with nitro varnish. The neck is a 2005 AM Standard. No, it's not my handy work. Someone with far more skill than me did it!

The vinyl is pretty easy to cut and trim. I just searched on YouTube. I've actually just removed the vinyl today, as I wasn't happy with how I finished it, but I'll likely buy more and try again. Its no problem, it's still nice with the black guard. It's a truly fantastic thing to play, and I adore it.

I also gave a cheap Jazz of mine the same pickguard treatment last year. It's holding up great

20230419_115558.jpg

• Like 1