Why become a member? ×

favourite signature bass model?

minkey1980

OK, so was just having discussion with this guitarist nut at work today and he was saying his favourate guitar sig edition of all time was the fender jagstang which got me thinking....

soooo my two would be;

billy sheehan yamaha attitude (practical)

bootsey collins washburn star thing (outrageous)

i used to foolishly i not like sig basses, but i played a US Marcus Miller 5 and it....was.....killer...what a bass

quite like the Geddy too but havent played one...i love the red flame maple Geddy Lee custom jazz shop hes got...now thats a jazz bass..!

rare jazz basses like that one give me major GAS..

Edited by bubinga5

I don't really get the whole signature instrument thing, but there's two I like the look of:

1. Yamaha BJ 5B. This is the signature bass for Terry and the Blue Jeans - a Japanese surf band. It's also the only way of getting a Yamaha SBV bass in a 5-string version.

2. Reverend Rumblefish Brad Houser sig. I had to look up Brad Houser on Wikipedia to find out who he was an d what bands he's been in. I don't like any of the one's I'd heard of (New Bohemians) but his signature version of the Reverend Rumblefish bass is a truly marvellous thing.

Another one here for not being keen on sig models but the quality of the Yamaha Nathan East BBNE2 is sublime by any standards. Its not even my type of bass but it just has something others dont when you see it in the flesh!

[url="http://uk.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/signature_models/bbne2/"]http://uk.yamaha.com/products/musical-inst...e_models/bbne2/[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1057792' date='Dec 13 2010, 08:43 PM']2. Reverend Rumblefish Brad Houser sig. I had to look up Brad Houser on Wikipedia to find out who he was an d what bands he's been in. I don't like any of the one's I'd heard of (New Bohemians) but his signature version of the Reverend Rumblefish bass is a truly marvellous thing.[/quote]

That's a really nice bass. I also dig Brad Houser's playing,especially with Critters Buggin. It's a shame that Reverend discontinued them-apparently
they only made 79.

I've got 3 signature basses- a Fender Marcus Miller,a Yamaha Attitude,and an Ibanez Gary Willis. They're all really good instruments
in their own right.

If money was no object I'd probably opt for a Fodera Tom Kennedy model.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1057818' date='Dec 13 2010, 08:55 PM']That's a really nice bass. I also dig Brad Houser's playing,especially with Critters Buggin. It's a shame that Reverend discontinued them-apparently
they only made 79.[/quote]
According the Reverend enthusiasts on TB there's less than 1000 Rumblefish basses in total (that's including all the different 4 and 5 string versions).

I have a nice 5-string JJ model (5XL I think it's called), but on the whole I prefer the sound of humbuckers which is why I'm after the BH model.

I keep trying to buy one when they occasionally turn up for sale on TB, but no one ever seems to want to ship one out of the US :-(

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1057838' date='Dec 13 2010, 09:09 PM']According the Reverend enthusiasts on TB there's less than 1000 Rumblefish basses in total (that's including all the different 4 and 5 string versions).

I have a nice 5-string JJ model (5XL I think it's called), but on the whole I prefer the sound of humbuckers which is why I'm after the BH model.

I keep trying to buy one when they occasionally turn up for sale on TB, but no one ever seems to want to ship one out of the US :-([/quote]

These are the quantities quoted on the Reverend website....

Brad Houser 5 - 79
Rumblefish 5L - 289
Rumblefish PJ - 106
Rumblefish - 418
Rumblefish XL - 141

[quote name='minkey1980' post='1057602' date='Dec 13 2010, 06:17 PM']OK, so was just having discussion with this guitarist nut at work today and he was saying his favourate guitar sig edition of all time was the fender jagstang which got me thinking....

soooo my two would be;

billy sheehan yamaha attitude (practical)

bootsey collins washburn star thing (outrageous)[/quote]

Why do you say the Sheehan is practical? I always found mine a little impractible! AND i have never met anyone else who can get on with them like me :) :D haha! They are fab basses, got one of the limited editon annivesary sea foam green ones,

[quote name='karlfer' post='1057772' date='Dec 13 2010, 08:26 PM']Sheehan for me.
I will get one, I will get one...........................
Karl.[/quote]

They are worth it! the common description is "a p-bass on 'roids"
whichs isn't all that true to behonest!
[quote name='andy67' post='1057857' date='Dec 13 2010, 09:28 PM']Here are mine...

Fender Classic 50's Precision don't live here anymore though..... :P[/quote]

NOW THAT IS MORE LIKE IT ANDY! :lol: haha,

My vote goes for the Sheehan! (three years of school boy savings!) And the No longer made Yamaha JM1 and JM2 basses, absoluetly stunning,

That really started my thing for yamaha, the Nathan east is fab too, and i WISH they would start selling the James lomenzo haha!

Also, Doods one of signature bass? haha is rather awesome too :)

I love signature instruments, not sure why though! loads of signatures i like from people i don't like much or have even heard of!
Like, i love the geddy lee jazz (not a rush fan!) and i really like Bill Dickins Conklin custom 7 string! Who i had never heard of, (speaking of conklin the GTBD-7 is awesome, wish i could afford the one on here for sale! and the old Jean Baudin signature is great!)

[quote name='karlfer' post='1057860' date='Dec 13 2010, 09:33 PM']2 Attitudes.
I may have to hunt you down :lol:
Karl.[/quote]

I met a guy in the states with 21 :P :lol:
One of every Attitude ever produced! as well as one or three signed unplayed ones, and a few doubles of his favourite year ones,

I would do alot for one of the blue ones with the white older Model one, (not perloid) with the pink inlays and capacitor switch, they are KILLER, though i prefer the newer neck,

Also love the older sea foam green ones (minus the lead electrics, unlike the new ones, which use silver and like mine!) with the perloid pickup cover, though the new ones are cool, and mine has a fancy logo on it :D

I adore Billys custom one with both pickups perloid, LEDS (i believe? even though i am NOT a fan of Leds in a bass) and a laser thingy in the head stock

<3

That was a nice fantasy rant :lol: :) :)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1057880' date='Dec 13 2010, 09:43 PM']Does anybody actually use the scalloped frets on the Attitude?[/quote]

Oh yeah definately!

I couldn't live without them,

I am saving up to get all my basses scalloped, (and i am going to try scallops along the entire neck on my P-bass! and that includes my 6 string, and doesn't inclue the Attitude! haha)

I feel like a thread stomper/hijacker :)

Sorry guys!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Also like the Mike Dirnt Precision

Quite like the look of these two as well: -

[url="http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/46348_l.jpg"]http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/46348_l.jpg[/url] (Tony Franklin's)

and

[url="http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/2/4/230424.jpg"]http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics.../2/4/230424.jpg[/url] (Roscoe Beck's)

Haven't been able to try any of them, like the look of them though....

I see that they do a Stu Zender signature model with Warwick - its a bit dull though, I always thought his was decorated in the Jamiroquai (spelling?) native colours.....great bassist though.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=22128&linkID=41976"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/pro...mp;linkID=41976[/url]

I bet thats a good bass to play..