Why become a member? ×

Sade..one of the best of our time..

bubinga5

Yes, Sade, fantastic

I compare "Sade" the band to the "Blockheads"

Before you laugh at that comment, what I mean is that both front man and woman, and both bands, although different in styles, stand out still today as completely unique and so listenable

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1055251' date='Dec 11 2010, 06:43 PM']I remember reading somewhere when Sade first appeared that she was related to Michael Caine somewhere along. :)
I think it was 1983 but I could be wrong.
There was a big surge in bassists playing Stingrays back then, Pino's fretless on Whereever I Lay My hat, this fella on Smooth Operator and Mikey Craig from culture club all played one. Me? I had a Westone Thunder 1 :)[/quote]

Thunder 1? - Good man! :- )

[quote name='Clarky' post='1055118' date='Dec 11 2010, 04:57 PM']...And yes I do play the bass solo from Smooth Operator when I'm noodling at home :)[/quote]

:) Though I think the track is nice enough I'd never even noticed that bass bit in it! The live youtube track I listened to/watched also threw me as I initially didn't identify the bass from it's tone, then I saw that it was a Ray. Just goes to show that a Ray isn't necessarily a 1-trick-pony (just mho), especially with a bit of chorus etc.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1055782' date='Dec 12 2010, 10:51 AM']:) Though I think the track is nice enough I'd never even noticed that bass bit in it! The live youtube track I listened to/watched also threw me as I initially didn't identify the bass from it's tone, then I saw that it was a Ray. Just goes to show that a Ray isn't necessarily a 1-trick-pony (just mho), especially with a bit of chorus etc.[/quote]

That's my definition of the ultimate bass line - you kinda know it's there, but it's so tightly integrated into the whole piece of music that you don't really notice it.

Could almost say it's made from pure antislapper... :)

I really liked the "Diamond life" album..
I don't care that she has a limited vocal range.. I find it more annoying that she sings so out of tune live. Heard her a couple of times in live shows and it was just terrible. I think the autotune has had a lot of work on some official "live" clips I've seen so far.

I never really got Sade (except smooth operator, which I always enjoyed playing) until a singer/songwriter friend of mine got me to listen to a few tracks as an example of where he thought his material should he heading.

The sublime and infectious grooves on tracks like 'The Sweetest Taboo' 'No Ordinary Love' and 'Cherish the Day' really caught my attention. When the bass is both utterly in control and somehow unseen I get a warm glow.

Name drop time! I just took Mrs C out into the smoke for our traditional sw***y (deliberately used work as it triggers profanity filter!) pre-Christmas night out. This time we tried The Wolseley, next to The Ritz. Sat between tables including artist Lucien Freud and historian Lady Antonia Fraser and who should walk in and sit just behind us, with girlfriend and kids in tow? Yep, Sade! Other than the inevitable effect of the years, she was a bit of a time loop - same scraped back hair, big round hooped earrings, black outfit and still a beautiful lady. Bit spooky for me, given I was contributing to this thread only yesterday.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1056783' date='Dec 12 2010, 11:02 PM']Name drop time! I just took Mrs C out into the smoke for our traditional sw***y (deliberately used work as it triggers profanity filter!) pre-Christmas night out. This time we tried The Wolseley, next to The Ritz. Sat between tables including artist Lucien Freud and historian Lady Antonia Fraser and who should walk in and sit just behind us, with girlfriend and kids in tow? Yep, Sade![/quote]

Did she start hassling you for your autograph?
Hate it when celebs do that to me...

...I'll get me doggy bag... :)

I remember when I bought my first decent turntable back in '84 (a Linn Sondek I still have to this day - albeit somewhat upgraded since then!). It was paired with a Yamaha amp and some nice old Kef speakers. I had a couple of tracks that just seemed to 'work' really well with it.

First up was the original 12" of Your Love is King, the overall production sounded great at the time. Never quite had the same effect on the LP version though.

Next was the album version of Yes' Owner of a Lonely Heart. This song pretty much sold me on the hierarchical importance of a hi fi system - whatever sits of the front end of the sound chain will make the most difference. I discovered later that loads of hi fi shops used to use this song to demo new stuff for people because of the way it leaps out of the speakers at you, lol.

Off topic but might be one for you BB5 - I eventually found another song that I tended to use as my 'demo' track when moving the system around or trying out new speakers etc. The full 12" version of Helping Hand by Arthur Miles. This shortened YT version sounds very flat by comparison but thought you might like the song :)

PS - back on topic - Sade used to live in the penthouse flat above one of my mates on the edge of Islington / Highbury Corner. He said she looked stunning pretty much any time of the day. He also insisted she was a Gooner (easy walk to the ground from her place) but we never got any substantiated proof of that, lol

Edited by molan

[quote name='lojo' post='1055706' date='Dec 12 2010, 09:30 AM']Yes, Sade, fantastic

I compare "Sade" the band to the "Blockheads"

Before you laugh at that comment, what I mean is that both front man and woman, and both bands, although different in styles, stand out still today as completely unique and so listenable[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from - absolute top drawer musos behind an enigmatic front person. Love both of them.

[quote name='fatback' post='1055340' date='Dec 11 2010, 07:57 PM']Not bothered about vocal range meself. Her music has groove, it's sexy, the production is top class. Oh, and the bass is cool too.

What's not to like?[/quote]

Absolutely agree with the sentiment - "Diamond Life" is a Time Machine - listen to it and it takes you back to the a more pleasant time and place! This album defines "classic" - as for Sade's voice...smooth and cool :) in the same way as Gregory Isaacs and Ella Fitzgerald. You know that when she dies people will rave about her brilliance..

I went out and bought "Soldier of Love" and "Lovers Live" earlier this year - reminded me why I'd loved "Diamond Life" back in the day. If their is a "criticism" that she has got limited range you've still got to admit that she excels in that range!! Let's not forget the quality of the band - great bass player, saxophonist and NO OVERPOWERING guitarists!!

I understand that Sade's not gonna be everybody's Cappacino but B5 - I'm with you on this one!!

(BTW can you stop posting videos - you're costing me a fortune - I recently had to purchase "Conspiracy" and and "Soul Family" after you posted the Drizabone link) Fortunately the Sade link isn't gonna cost me anything.. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1056096' date='Dec 12 2010, 03:28 PM']I like Sade. She's got the same people in the band since they started and she splits all the royalties equally with the guys.[/quote]

that is admirable...

Same sort of story with TT, stuck to the same sort of guys who she used on her comeback in 84 or so.
Local boy round here got asked to play in her band..and she was, at the time..as big as anyone, pretty much..with world tours etc etc..and he quoted a figure which she said she wouldn't pay...as she didn't pay her regular band that and she had struck with them for eons.
I don't think she was being stingy by any means considering the fee, and the guy blew that gig and all that work over a good few years at the top level. He did do a few selected dates..as far as I knew..later.

I still think he did well for himself but he is lining up for the same dep gigs as everyone else...but maybe he needs the money a bit less.

That is the story..but anyway.

Not a fan of Sade musically but she sounds like a good person to work with.

I love listening to Sade late at night, great songs, great voice. Does she have a limited range? I've never noticed. Even if she does, the fact that I've never noticed says to me that she doesn't need any more range, she's 100% musical with what she has :)

Besides, any critique that suggested a lack of range was a valid way to judge a vocalist's music or ability would have to be applied to the number of strings a bass guitar needs in order to be taken seriously... :)

[quote name='KevB' post='1058742' date='Dec 14 2010, 05:16 PM']When they dropped the L from the name and got rid of Noddy, then started doing lounge jazz I really lost respect for them I'm afraid... :)[/quote]

Lol. that took me a second or two to work out!! I like Sade, I like her music, limited or not and she looks good too. What's not to like?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1054655' date='Dec 11 2010, 03:50 AM']...What a song this is..

this music brings back so many memories for me..growing uo with soul music and all..[/quote]
The very first bass line I ever learned... ever.

I nicked my step-dad's Ric while he was away working offshore and practiced it for a couple of days up in my room.... then put on a show for my mum. :)

It's strange that I chose this tune as I was into bands like Sham '69 and the Angelic Upstarts etc. at the time. I shared a room with my brother and I learned it off of his 7" played on the wooden Pye stereo we had in our room. Oh-oh Hovis moment imminent. :)