Why become a member? ×

The waiting is over

obbm

I used UPS and Interparcel to collect an Aguilar 4x10 cab from a guy in Glasgow back in the summer. It was collected OK but went missing shortly after.

You wouldn't believe the argument that I had with Interparcel. They insisted that it hadn't been collected, even though it had ! I'd spoken to the guy I bought it from, he gave me the consignment number and everything, but they wouldn't believe that it had been collected.

In the end I 'found' it, by phoning up the UPS depots around the Glasgow area, and describing what it was.

They're hopeless !

[quote name='walbassist' post='1061933' date='Dec 17 2010, 07:19 PM']Wow, that is lovely. About as far from your usual OBBM bass as you could get, but I bet it's ergonomically perfect to play.[/quote]

I liked the ergonomics of the Status Stealth but not the tone, string spacing or the neck profile. This fixes all of those problems. Just been playing it for the last hour and it feels like I've been playing it for years.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1062247' date='Dec 18 2010, 09:05 AM']Great to see its arrived safely! Hope you have a nice snowed-in weekend to play it.....[/quote]

Cold and snowed in as it's settling well and the CH decided to die last night. Oh how I love the winter - NOT.

So this was about £1500? In that case I would prefer this to a Sterling as well :-)

[quote name='obbm' post='1061911' date='Dec 17 2010, 07:01 PM']I was originally considering an MM Sterling 5 but then decided that for the same money I could have a completely custom bass.
The original spec was 5-string with MM SR5 spacing, HS pickups and headless so it would easily fit in the Smart.

Body is Asian Ebony on Swap Ash

Neck is Maple/Wenge with a Flame Sycamore fretboard

It doesn't appear to have suffered from it's travels. Here a few quick pics.
Alan has some much nicer shots which should appear on his web site.

Neck side dots are illuminated blue through fibre-optics from a single LED in the control cavity.

First impressions are that it oozes quality. The neck feels very comfortable and easy to play - this was one of my concerns as I have short fingers. Basic tone is excellent - I now have to master the pre-amp.[/quote]

[quote name='Johnston' post='1063414' date='Dec 19 2010, 12:05 PM']Is this the same one from Jamsession skelf??

If it is OBBMs pictures don't do it justice.[/quote]

Thanks for the critique. I am not a photgrapher and have no interest in photgraphy. I just point and click.

Perhaps you would like to pop round and take some better pictures using your superior skills. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1063499' date='Dec 19 2010, 01:37 PM']Sorry for any offence it wasn't meant that way.[/quote]

None taken. Alan's photos are excellent but knowing the disbelievers on this Forum I had to post some pix of my own.

BTW it sounds better than it looks.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1063533' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:14 PM']Seeing the top on your bass almost made me go for an ebony top for my 7 string. The simple look of the wood is very elegant.[/quote]

almost but you didn''t ?

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1063533' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:14 PM']Seeing the top on your bass almost made me go for an ebony top for my 7 string. The simple look of the wood is very elegant.[/quote]

I'm planning to get a custom bass in a year or two, one of my ideas was black with a maple fretboard. But seeing that ebony with sycamore has given me other ideas!

Great looking bass obbm!

[quote name='bartelby' post='1063542' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:20 PM']I'm planning to get a custom bass in a year or two, one of my ideas was black with a maple fretboard. But seeing that ebony with sycamore has given me other ideas!

Great looking bass obbm![/quote]

Thanks. Black with maple was where I started. Alan guided me through the choice of materials to this result.

I am in the same school of photography as Dave no real interest and let the camera do the clever stuff. I have had a bit more practice through necessity that is the only difference.
The pics I took can be found here.
[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/244/"]Pics.[/url]

The satin black is so difficult to photograph without getting the unnatural 'shine effect' that comes out in Dave's photos but not in yours Alan. I'm no photographer myself either but I do know that some decent lights makes the process easier to achieve.

Given Alan's photos if indeed this bass does sound better than it looks it must be incredibly awesome (such adjective's not being uncommon in relation to Alan's work).

Of course if you're into mass produced boxwood with process and economy driven design, clunky headstocks and unadventurous and unnecessarily huge bottom horns then move along, move along :)