Why become a member? ×

Sold Pending: 1976 Fender P Bass- beautiful bass and all original: Sold Pending

Old Horse Murphy

Had a bit of a tragedy last night when at the end of our gig my amp bag was half-inched as we were packing away :) I asked the singer to watch the kit as we packed by but being a singer, he knew far better and as a result my amp bag and the guitarist's kit bag were swiped.

My amp (a Little Mark Tube 800) will probably be seen turning up in Kingston/Surbiton Crack Converters at some stage but until then I need to replace it.

After having spent the best part of £1,000 on new tyres I have decided to move this wonderful bass on as my other Basses have far more sentimental value to me despite being far lesser basses.

Anyway, I have a 1976 Fender P Bass for sale in Natural/black/maple. It is all original and weighs approximately 8lbs 4oz so is a very comfortable bass.

Sounds-wise it does everything from Motown to the really bitey Stranglers/Jam sound.

It's in pretty good condition with wear on the top horn and lacquer crazing on the body. The G side of the neck has wearing too either by a wedding ring or just a sweaty hand :) It's a well-used bass that has been played regularly. Other than the wear in parts there are no dings or anything and it's in good nick for its age.

Structurally it's excellent with a decent neck pocket but with the usual treble-side neck joint which is a few mm wider than the neck. Pickup and electronics are original and working perfectly. The neck is in great condition and the frets are fine (and original).

The only thing of note is that the trussrod end (the cross hatch) has one of the quarters broken off it (pictured). It still works perfectly and the trussrod is fine. The end can easily be replaced too with minimal work needed (see [url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjusting_nuts/Fender-style_Slotted_Truss_Rod_Nut.html)"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adj...s_Rod_Nut.html)[/url]

Clarky has played this and compared it favourably to his 72 P bass and it comes with a Gator padded case (similar to the Sadowksy). There are no ashtrays or thumb rest unfortunately.

This is a very reluctant sale and I am looking for £1,150 for it. It's easily the best P bass I've owned or played and I'm not the happiest Bunny in the world at the moment!

[b]I would consider trades for a new series Fender USA 4/5 string Jazz bass or 5 string P Bass plus cash my way, a new series Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 with cash my way or a Sadowsky MV5 with rosewood board or possibly a Rickenbacker 4003.[/b]

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Hey Nick,
Sorry to hear about that, I hope the thieving toerag/s get caught & smacked. Just goes to show you can't turn your back for a minute - or trust anybody!

Meanwhile good luck with the '76 P sale.

Cheerz, John

Nick, really sorry to hear about your bad luck. I guess the amp was not insured? Only ever had one situation as someone tried to walk out with our gear when on stage and the singer and I saw it, chased after him and caught him :) Anyway, you are more than welcome to use my Genz Benz Shuttle 6 if you get stuck at all.

Hi Nick

sorry to hear about the bad luck mate, have to say that is one fantastic looking bass pity you have to sell , hope things are ok with you otherwise ?

anyway have a bump on me

cheers steve

Edited by peety

Hope things are working out ok on this Nick. It's only by good luck/good fortune rather than good planning that this hasn't happend to me at least 50 times in the past. At one pub I play now the scumbags are so light fingered that I take an Epi EB0 as my only bass and gaffa tape the Little Mark down and around the cab to make sure it doesn't 'walk'.

Sorry to hear you news Nick; like many other Basschatters, I've experienced the same fate with bass gear, so I know how you must have felt!!

And just to say that this is a beautiful looking P-Bass bass (which I can only admire from a distance I'm afraid), so best of luck with the sale/trade..

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1031784' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:12 PM']Very sorry to hear it nick. Hopefully everything works out for you. Got a question for you though, do you know what wood the body is made from? and also, how bad is the wearing on the neck? I can't properly tell from the pictures
Cheers[/quote]

Hi Steve

I'm pretty certain the body is Ash. The wear on the neck is actually minimal. There are a few small lacquer chips on the back and there is the wear on the G string side but that's about it and it's very smooth with no flaking at all. I had a 76 P bass before and it hadn't faired so well as this one.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='1031810' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:24 PM']Hi Steve

I'm pretty certain the body is Ash. The wear on the neck is actually minimal. There are a few small lacquer chips on the back and there is the wear on the G string side but that's about it and it's very smooth with no flaking at all. I had a 76 P bass before and it hadn't faired so well as this one.[/quote]
As a third party, I can tell you Steve that its a lovely player. Nick brought the bass round to mine a few weeks ago and I had a quick noodle on it. Its light, mojo'd in a tasteful way, and an all-round cracking P bass.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031816' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:26 PM']As a third party, I can tell you Steve that its a lovely player. Nick brought the bass round to mine a few weeks ago and I had a quick noodle on it. Its light, mojo'd in a tasteful way, and an all-round cracking P bass.[/quote]

Thanks Clarky :)

I am happy to accept trades plus cash for a new US Series Jazz bass (either 4 or 5 string), or a 62 Reissue Jazz if anyone has one they don't want

Hi Nick, Cheers for answering my questions. Unfortunately it's not what i'm looking for :) I'm looking for an alder bodied P-Bass (I just prefer the tone from alder bodies)
Good luck with the sale though, I really hope you can manage to sell it or that you can sort some other way of getting the money you need with out selling this beauty. Also, fair play Clarky, it does look like an absolute dream to play

Blimey Nick, we must be in a recession and approaching Christmas. Thats a serious bargain. A new 2009 MIA P bass runs to about £900-odd these days so £1150 for a 34 year-old, lightweight US P bass has to be stonking good value. Hope someone bites soon mate

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1042218' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:26 PM']Blimey Nick, we must be in a recession and approaching Christmas. Thats a serious bargain. A new 2009 MIA P bass runs to about £900-odd these days so £1150 for a 34 year-old, lightweight US P bass has to be stonking good value. Hope someone bites soon mate[/quote]

Thanks Clarky. I won't let it go for any lower but am willing to listen to sensible PX's for the right Jazz Bass

BUMP- now on Ebay too for a premium. I'd be happy to take a Paypal payment for this if it helps (provided the fees are covered) :)