Why become a member? ×

Yay! First DB gig under my belt

Clarky

Rather rashly, given my damaged left hand, I took my DB along to the gig this evening and played the whole, near-1 hour set with it. Played it through the Platinum Pro preamp and my MB combo. Couldn't quite get it sounding 100% acoustic-like but not far off and I didn't get any feedback problems. Really chuffed! The lines are incredibly simple in Rattlin Bone so that my role is often more of a timekeeper/rhythm instrument but that suits me just fine as I am very much a learner. I even got plaudits from a couple of audience members about my playing .... which was nice :)

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1007007' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:09 AM']Well done Clarky!

And how are the fingers today?[/quote]
Thanks! The fingers are a bit stiff and the back of my hand ( where I broke the metacarpal) is a bit sore - but to be honest it's not a lot different to how it felt yesterday morning. I have got time to rest it now as next gig not for three weeks (23 November) and no rehearsals before that. So hopefully all will be sorted by the next gig

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1007103' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:43 AM']Yeah how did your hand hold up?[/quote]
The hand was fine throughout the gig, reckon it was the adrenaline. Actually my 'good' right hand was the one that was struggling towards the end, especially when I was playing the third to last number which features a repeated eighth note riff for about 3 minutes while the various brass instruments and guitar take turns soloing around the main theme. That was hard work.

Having played in a punk band for two years or so it was great have an audience that featured loads of people dancing and wasn't 95% blokes!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1007368' date='Oct 31 2010, 02:20 PM']That dude who's got the horn is looking at you. :)[/quote]
Hes saying...Clarky the intro was for the horn.....you stole my thunder

Edited by tino

[quote name='Clarky' post='1006931' date='Oct 31 2010, 03:18 AM']I even got plaudits from a couple of audience members about my playing .... which was nice :)[/quote]

It's funny how often that happens when you play DB on stage. You could have played just as good on bass guitar and those audience members wouldn't have noticed but play the same stuff on DB and suddenly you are a real musician. It is nice when it happens though :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1008232' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:59 AM']Very kind but I think my doc would give me the CSA - crass stupidity award![/quote]

Hey mate how was the DB tone, and how was your Fishman Pro eq set? Have mirrored your set up with Plat pro and pickup and am getting some good tones through a PA I set up in one of my spare rooms, but would be interested to see how you've set up.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1008332' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:31 AM']Hey mate how was the DB tone, and how was your Fishman Pro eq set? Have mirrored your set up with Plat pro and pickup and am getting some good tones through a PA I set up in one of my spare rooms, but would be interested to see how you've set up.[/quote]
Well I had no feedback problems as a result of the Fishman, which was a positive, and there was really good 'projection' of the bass sound. I would say I got an OK tone (quite rich but not quite capturing that acoustic 'buzz'). I am sure I could have done tons better if we hadn't been so rushed in our soundcheck. We were second to s/c and the poncey gypsy jazz bunch before us took an hour or more, meaning we had barely any time if we were to be fair to the other bands lined up to soundcheck. Of course by the time all 14 (or was it 15?) of us were in full swing, I doubt anyone would have noticed the difference if I was playing an electric bass! Overall, for my first gig I was pretty pleased with the tone and especially pleased that it was good enough to help drive a large band along.

Edited by Clarky