Why become a member? ×

ebay purchase dilemma

howdoesitgoagain

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1007657' date='Oct 31 2010, 06:31 PM']You've got your money back ?

I don't see what the problem is if you have. It's his amp, and if he changes his mind about selling it then there's not a lot you can do surely.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I advertised a bass on here, and didn't have a lot of interest, even though it was advertised for a good price.

After a couple of weeks I advertised it on Ebay. A day before the Ebay listing was due to end I had someone from here contact me. He came around and bought the bass, but not until someone had placed a bid. It was within 12 hours of the listing ending, and I couldn't therefore end my listing. So it sold on here and Ebay ! I had to contact the winning bidder and explain.[/quote]

The problem is that it's an auction, not a free ads sale. When you win it's an agreement between the seller and bidder, i assume a legally binding contract.

In your case what you should have done is waited until the auction ended or pulled it before the buyer came round. Even though i prefer selling here rather than on eBay that would be the right thing to do. If there was a bid on the item at the time the guy contacted you it would have been better to let the auction run it's course

It's really frustrating when sellers do this on eBay, it's happened to me a couple of times and one time cost me money as i had already bought accessories for the item upon winning. Each time the "seller" got negative feedback with the words "WARNING", "DISHONEST" and "AVIOD" in there

To the OP, it's worth bearing in mind that the seller also has your contact details too as eBay pass them on when you requested his. Leave -ve feedback and each time he relists report the item to eBay and get it pulled. Post the item number on this thread and i'm sure a few BCers will report it too. I will!

long as you got the money back, I'd just put it down to experience, wouldnt even bother with the feedback. I know its dissapointing but lifes just too short. Maybe a few phone calls just to wind him up a bit so he dont do it again without a reasonable starting bid, but thats all.

Probably happens a lot. I dont do ebay much, but noticed the same Fender bassman 100 re listed about 3 or 4 times in the last few months, went for £510 at least twice.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1007728' date='Oct 31 2010, 08:37 PM']long as you got the money back, I'd just put it down to experience, wouldnt even bother with the feedback.[/quote]
I think he absolutely should be Neg'd. That's what the feedback system is there for... it's only useful if it's accurate.

IMO, neg him and walk away.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1007734' date='Oct 31 2010, 07:43 PM']I think he absolutely should be Neg'd. That's what the feedback system is there for... it's only useful if it's accurate.

IMO, neg him and walk away.[/quote]

+1

I received a nasty message last time i left negative feedback but it was an honest representation of my experience with the seller

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150508384042"]the item [/url] in question.

the same thing is available from Thomanns for £227 inc postage.. its not like it cost £500, we all take a loss sometimes if sell on ebay without putting a reserve on it, fortunately he hasn't taken my money.

Edited by howdoesitgoagain

Personally I always avoid sellers with low / no feedback and few transactions. It hasn't stopped me from getting burnt before but it lessens the chances of it happening. I agree with MoonBaseAlpha here and I think you were wise to warn off other potential buyers. You must leave negative feedback if someone is being silly.

[quote name='Platypus' post='1007856' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:12 PM']Well, he'll soon have some (negative) feedback, if there's any justice![/quote]

He's got nout to lose then has he, just re register with a new name.

ebay feedback is a waste of time, calculated in a wierd way so as not to put people off buying, how can somebody with only about 50 feedbacks have 99.something positive ?

ebay want customers and commission and dont really care about much else imo. Its just there to make you feel better, so you dont take up ebays time with complaints. I have never taken much notice of it and wouldnt really hesitate to buy from anybody unless they have a lot of nagatives. Had more problems with people who have a low count, or hundreds of positives tbh.

Buyers can sometimes be nutters as well, but you cant leave them a negative.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1008411' date='Nov 1 2010, 12:31 PM']It's sold for £102 this time.... wonder what he'll do now :)[/quote]

That was the original transaction, i don't think he's relisted it yet.

Tbh he's getting a pretty good price for it, almost half the RRP for a very common cab. If i sold it for that i'd be happy.
Nobody is gonna pay within £50 or so of the retail price for a 2nd hand cab with no guarantee, especially as it's pick-up only. I guess he paid a fair bit more for it and has an inflated view of what it's worth

Maybe the OP should message him with a link to the Thomann site and explain this, maybe he'll realise he's been a bit of a twonk and not do it again?

nah, thats what I won them for, I doubt he will list it again for a while, in the meantime the new ones will probably drop in price.

If I had gone to pick these up it was going to cost about 30 quid in fuel, so ok at £102 but £150...... they are only £217 new and free delivery plus a warranty.

I am probably just going to buy some new ones unless something comes up not far from home in the next 24 hours, I have a gig on Saturday :)

My first E Bay purchase (and last) was a couple of years ago now. I bought a Violin for £50 buy it now , advertised as 1 thing (google confirmed new price circa £200) but when delivered was something else (google confirming new price £50).

The instrument just wasn't what was advertised. Invoked the dispute process and got my money back, but left him a few choice words in the feedback section.

This is a much better, friendlier place to buy, trade your gear!

LC

My first ebay purchase was a Warwick Corvette, which sold for much cheaper than all the others of a similar condition.
What I didn't understand was that the sellers feedback was really bad, it was like 70% positive.
When someone explained what feedback was all about I was really nervous, I paid about £270 using paypal and it took about two months to get the bass.
I had almost convinced myself that I wasn't ever going to get this bass but luckily I did eventually.
The seller didn't trust couriers as he was one and he delivered it to my workplace when he was next in the area.

I have only had 2 bad experiences with ebay and i have bought alot!

i bought a camera memory card which turned out to be a bad copy. got my money back and kept the card. it worked but was not the 8gb as advertised, it was only 2.

won a pc from a lad in swindon who wanted immediate payment, apparently he had been messed about. did this and never recieved anything. thought i was covered through paypal but turned out out of the £560 i paid i would only see 150 of it back. 4 years later i have given up.
Now when buying anything for a large amount of cash i pay with my credit card or cash on pickup.

Infact shyte to the bad feedback. knock on his door and give him some personal feedback :) :lol: :)

Edited by ogrimark

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006574' date='Oct 30 2010, 06:01 PM']Had something similar a couple weeks back; bought a Sterling on eBay via 'Best Offer' (offer obviously vetoed and accepted by the seller), paid immediately with paypal and asked the guy if he would use my work address for delivery... tumbleweed, nada, nothing, zilch! This went on for a week and I'd asked him several times that if he had sent it already that was fine but could he let me know when it was dispatched as I'd need to arrange with the family to keep a particular watching eye for couriers (amazing how many can't find the front door). Then out of the blue a refund from paypal and no explanation. I neg'd him and left it at that. I'd offer the same advice to you mate, no point busting a blood vessel over it.[/quote]

Don't get it. If he didn't want to sell at that price why accept your offer?

[quote name='danhkr' post='1013402' date='Nov 5 2010, 03:21 PM']Don't get it. If he didn't want to sell at that price why accept your offer?[/quote]

Tell me about it! Though it really bugged me initially, I've realised that some people just don't care and me getting wound up about it wasn't going to get me the bass or make him feel any worse, so I simply left negative feedback and moved on.