Why become a member? ×

ebay purchase dilemma

howdoesitgoagain

Dilemma ...
I bought a bass cab off a guy on ebay a week ago and he appears to be not wanting to part with it, it was pretty cheap... he wont talk to me and has ignored my emails...

Unfortunately [ possibly ] for him I have not only now got his address and email it only took 5 minutes to get his full name and home number. .... :lol:

My dilemma is should I call him and have it out or just leave him sh*tty feedback and report him for breach of contract?

If you are reading this t*****9 sort it out mate. :)

Had something similar a couple weeks back; bought a Sterling on eBay via 'Best Offer' (offer obviously vetoed and accepted by the seller), paid immediately with paypal and asked the guy if he would use my work address for delivery... tumbleweed, nada, nothing, zilch! This went on for a week and I'd asked him several times that if he had sent it already that was fine but could he let me know when it was dispatched as I'd need to arrange with the family to keep a particular watching eye for couriers (amazing how many can't find the front door). Then out of the blue a refund from paypal and no explanation. I neg'd him and left it at that. I'd offer the same advice to you mate, no point busting a blood vessel over it.

I agree with warwickhunt and pantherairsoft 100%. In theory the small claims court would be on your side and if feeling immature (& I really wouldn't!) you can of course start ordering him taxis and pizzas [b]BUT[/b] I'd just cut your losses. I order a lot from EBay and it seems that I can't go more than a couple of months without an order going wrong. Thankfully all my failed orders seem to centre around CDs and DVDs. I do feel for you here.

Or you could do what our guitarist done.
He had won some Marshall amp for a really
good price seller obviously not happy, ignored
all communication and re-listed amp a week later.
Guitarist put in a massive bid at the last minute.
Won item, did not pay,ignored communication
for about a week, then sent an email saying,
annoying isn't it. :)

If he is just a average guy who made a mistake and did not set his reserve etc to suit his heart then Id just let it go, with perhaps some forgivingly worded bad feedback to help him and others

If he is anything other than sincere, then full on bad feedback and anything else you can do to discredit his profile and name to protect others

Obviously it may not be easy to determine what he is, but you may know

Going legal will most likely cost you more headache, money and time than paying a slightly higher price to the next one you see

Shame is if he did make a sincere mistake, then he should at least have the guts to state that and apologize to you, id call him and and least explain that to him

Edited by lojo

Has happened to me before, I simply mailed him and warned him I will be leaving negative feedback unless he explains himself. The guy responded with a tale of woe which was almost certainly bullshit. I certainly wouldn't call him as he didn't give you permission to do so.

Mail him, and put it down as a poor experience with a bad eBayer.

Edited by bassatnight

What a w***er , just spoke to the guy, Thomas Green from Market Harborough, says he wanted £150 for it and wont honour the sale and will put it back on ebay. plank.

bad feedback and a complaint going in later, what he fails to understand is that he is not going to get what he wants if he has feedback indicating lack of trustworthiness and a tendency to grumpy beligerence :)

Right a beer and compose some snotty feedback ranting.

You've got your money back ?

I don't see what the problem is if you have. It's his amp, and if he changes his mind about selling it then there's not a lot you can do surely.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I advertised a bass on here, and didn't have a lot of interest, even though it was advertised for a good price.

After a couple of weeks I advertised it on Ebay. A day before the Ebay listing was due to end I had someone from here contact me. He came around and bought the bass, but not until someone had placed a bid. It was within 12 hours of the listing ending, and I couldn't therefore end my listing. So it sold on here and Ebay ! I had to contact the winning bidder and explain.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1007657' date='Oct 31 2010, 06:31 PM']You've got your money back ?

I don't see what the problem is if you have. It's his amp, and if he changes his mind about selling it then there's not a lot you can do surely.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I advertised a bass on here, and didn't have a lot of interest, even though it was advertised for a good price.

After a couple of weeks I advertised it on Ebay. A day before the Ebay listing was due to end I had someone from here contact me. He came around and bought the bass, but not until someone had placed a bid. It was within 12 hours of the listing ending, and I couldn't therefore end my listing. So it sold on here and Ebay ! I had to contact the winning bidder and explain.[/quote]

I think that's a bit different than just wanting more money for it.

Ebay isn't what it used to be in my mind - far too many people on it now and a lot of them are timewasters. I don't use it at all any more apart from for menial items from big sellers (razor blades etc). I would much rather sell to someone on here I can trust and be confident there is less chance of faff.

Of course the only drawback is a lot less people use this site than eBay, i've been unable to sell my Behringer V-Amp for months despite knocking big chunks out of the price, i'd rather keep it collecting dust than have someone mess me about on eBay.

The problem is the guy did not put a reserve and is now going to put it back up at more money, E-Bay make it clear you enter into a binding contract, the guy should have pulled it before the end rather than waste the buyers time and money in calling and chasing him.