Why become a member? ×

Ibanez owners

chilievans

I've owned 3 bass guitars in total 1, squire p bass special 2,court something or other (sorry can't remember the name) and right now I'm the proud owner of an sr500 which I love dearly.
From my experience I don't think I would ever buy from another manufacturer. I would like an srt900dx or a prestige model but cannot afford or justify the expense at the moment.
What do you play and What's your opinion on the ibanez range?

Both the Ibanez I have owned were great players.
I just sold my SRX700 as it wasn't getting used much. It was my main gigging bass for ages, and never let me down.
That said, I took care of it, so it should have been okay. Never really got on with the electrics, but the hardware and woodwork were fine.

On the flip side, I wish I still had old my EDB600. Bought for a snip at £80, and damaged when I chucked it across the lounge after having worked a (hard) nightshift and then being interrupted 6 times in the space of practising (through headphones) one song by my wife/children. It bounced badly and the Luthite cracked and the control cavity literally fell out.
Disgusted (and still fuming) I then finished it with a swift kick to the neck that caused half of the frets to pop out.
Pity. It really was a stonking bass. Period. Strung with DR Fatbeams and with a bit of judicious mid-control tweaking, it could deliver some sounds that only my Vigier could better.

In short, they're generally good and well made. The good ones are REALLY good (true of many manufacturers)
Just look at the number of members that recommend Ibanez to people starting out (or Yamaha or Squier)
My main concern in [i]some[/i] is the quality of the pick-ups and EQ, which give an aggressive sound that can't readily be smoothed out.
The SR 500/505 are well regarded, and almost an industry standard at their price-point. Certainly, they'd be on many people's shortlist.
Not so sure about the BTBs and Prestiges. At those sort of prices, the competition is starting to improve dramatically...

Love my Prestige SR1000, very well made, great sound, lightweight, slim neck, and I paid less than the price of a new SR500 for it. It doesn't sound aggressive without extreme EQ (but I go back to my Jazz Deluxe if I want that!), but has a great range of tones. Very happy with it, and will never sell it, because it would cost a lot more to get something of the same quality.

[quote name='RussFM' post='995934' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:53 PM']Love my Prestige SR1000, very well made, great sound, lightweight, slim neck, and I paid less than the price of a new SR500 for it. It doesn't sound aggressive without extreme EQ (but I go back to my Jazz Deluxe if I want that!), but has a great range of tones. Very happy with it, and will never sell it, because it would cost a lot more to get something of the same quality.[/quote]
beautiful bass bud

Owned a few Ibanez basses. My first one bought new back in the 70's was from the Artiste series, and I loved it, wish I still had it. It was the closest I could get to Stanley's Alembic at the time. All of my Ibanez were great basses to play, and very versatile too in the sound department. All were great value too.

Oh and if you have an Ibanez Artiste bass from back then, I'll take it off your hands :)

I have an Ibanez SR765 and am in the somewhat long winded process of exchanging a BTB470 for a BTB555...

I've had Fender J's ("proper MIA ones") and Rickenbacker 4001's.. Prefer the SR to all of the them.... Wide range of tones, great neck. built really well (my SR is one of the last MIJ ones) - what's not to like except the the badge..?

Mark

[quote name='markstuk' post='996107' date='Oct 21 2010, 04:25 PM']I have an Ibanez SR765 and am in the somewhat long winded process of exchanging a BTB470 for a BTB555...

I've had Fender J's ("proper MIA ones") and Rickenbacker 4001's.. Prefer the SR to all of the them.... Wide range of tones, great neck. built really well (my SR is one of the last MIJ ones) - what's not to like except the the badge..?

Mark[/quote]
what do you mean by MIA Mark

I really like Ibanez gear. I've got a GWB 35 Gary Willis model which is great,and a really nice BTB 6 string
which I've fitted with a Roland V Bass Pickup.
I've also got a couple of Ibanez guitars-a Talman Acoustic and an RG MIJ Special Edition.

Oh, and really quiet (electrically) as well... Makes such a difference when you plug in and it's quiet..

[quote name='markstuk' post='996107' date='Oct 21 2010, 04:25 PM']I have an Ibanez SR765 and am in the somewhat long winded process of exchanging a BTB470 for a BTB555...

Mark[/quote]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='995922' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:46 PM']In short, they're generally good and well made. The good ones are REALLY good (true of many manufacturers)
Just look at the number of members that recommend Ibanez to people starting out (or Yamaha or Squier)[/quote]
Yep, 'my first bass[sup](tm)[/sup]' is the Ibanez - currently on loan out to another beginner, which speaks volumes about their playability. Plus mine has been modded (see siggie)

[quote name='simon1964' post='996021' date='Oct 21 2010, 02:48 PM']I used to have an ATK305, which was a fantastic bass for the money. Very close to the classic Stingray tone for a fraction of the price.[/quote]
Me too. Moved it on to a deserving home about a year ago. Still see it being played every week, which is nice though. It's meant to be played.

[quote name='Wil' post='996038' date='Oct 21 2010, 03:04 PM']I had an ATK and it was a very nice bass. Not the best looker in the world, quite heavy, but excellent build quality, playability (if you can handle a chunky neck) and great tone. If it was a 5 string I'd probably still have it.[/quote]
Yep, couldn't get on with the weight or the neck really, kinda regret moving it on, but it was worth it to see it being played by someone who can get the most out of it.

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

Big fan here - I've had 2 early 90s SR800s (fretted & fretless) and am considering another SR because I miss 'em! I currently have an EDA900 Ergodyne, a pre '75 2366B Precision copy and a 1982 RS924 Roadster. I've also had an '81 MC150 Musician guitar and a '78 2601 Artist acoustic guitar. I've also got a pair of early 80s Blazer basses in bits in the lab, waiting for me to get around to sorting 'em out.

All of mine have been exemplary quality instruments, as is typical of the brand. It's worth mentioning that Ibanez isn't a manufacturer as such - it's a brand name owned by Hoshino Gakki, who contract various factories to build instruments according to price range. Apart from my EDA (which was made by Cort in Korea) all of mine have been quite old, and were all made in Japan by Fujigen Gakki. Fujigen is probably best-known for building MIJ Fenders - and apparently originally got that contract based on the quality of the Fender copies they manufactured in the 70s, many of which were sold as Ibanez.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

I like the modern-shaped, super slim- bodied SR. It's an amazing design - it's quite incredible how they've contoured the body. Unfortunately I just cannot get on with it's sound; it's slightly harsh with a nasty metallic zing - and I don't like the deeply silly, unsatisfying tone control that goes from 'finger' to 'scooped'. It sounds pretty awful to my ears.

The SR has got everything right ergonomically and is just waiting for better pickups and tone controls. I don't know why they don't use the 'sonic arch' pickups in their Ashula model from now on. They sound fantastic and a are huge improvement on the ibby standards and Barts.

[quote name='Wil' post='996141' date='Oct 21 2010, 04:52 PM']I do wish they'd put some nicer looking headstocks on their basses, mind.[/quote]

Personally I really like the headstocks, compact and do the job they've got to do. I don't like classic Fender headstocks on a bass - way too big for what they do although they too do what they have to do. One of the features of the Urge Mk1 I have is a more compact headstock and Grover type tuners - much nicer than the classic ones.

I have a GXB 35 which I love (currently awaiting new pickup and preamp), and on the basis of that bought a SR505 as well, which I also love.
Both superb basses for the money and, partly due the name on the headstock, can be had quite cheaply second hand (The SR505 was only £200!)

I only wish they'd do a 32"

Edited by Count Bassy

Got two - one expensive and one cheapo - and they are cracking basses for their price..

shame that I got to let them go, but I went custom ways now..

you can check both my Ibbies here, they're for sale:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94843"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94843[/url]

I've had my SR 1000 since 1990 & never needed another bass.
I would like a fretless 5er, but funds won't allow or I'd snaffle a GW35.

I'll get a pic of my ibby up later. It's a PJ configuration as opposed to the 2 soapbars on the current line. The range of tones is quite impressive & one of the reasons I ended up getting it instead of the Status I went for.