Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai - Man or band????

squire5

Please tell me if I'm wrong.The band is Jamiroquai,the singer is Jay Kay.Right??Why do presenters refer to HIM as Jamiroquai..Jools Holland did it last night...."And now,the man who opened the show,Jamiroquai!!!
They are being portrayed as HIS backing band,as in HE'S Jamiroquai,they're just a bunch of musos got together for the show. :lol:
Youda thought HE would have said something.I mean it's not the first time I've heard this.

I may be wrong,but I don't think I am.

Rant over!!! :)

My spell checker hates Jameroquai!

He/They have been though a hell of a lot of line up changes. Check [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamiroquai"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamiroquai[/url] for the list of former members.

I don't think that he would be referred to as Jamiroquai if he was guesting on someone else's album with their band.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Doddy' post='974877' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:10 PM']Jay Kay is Jamuroquai. He's the one who signed the contract. The band came later.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by that,but in WIKI,Jamiroquai is defined as a band,with Jay Kay as the lead vocalist.Sure,he may have formed the band,and made the name up from the word 'Jam' and the Iroqois Indians,but I think it's just a common fallacy that exists that HE is Jamiroquai.I just feel that it detracts from the band as a whole,and sort of turns them into his backing group.Don't get me wrong.I've nothing against the guy,it's just something that bothers me.

I seem to remember reading an old interview with Zender where he said something like although JK tries to treat it as a band,it is actually just him. Bearing in mind that the first single was JK and a bunch of session guys-including Andrew Levy on Bass.

Edit...... In the Feb '98 issue of Bassist,it says that when Jay Kay recorded 'When You Gonna Learn' he didn't have a band-just a roster of
'help out' musicians.He actually put the 'band' together after that first single. So,as far as I see it,Jay Kay is Jamiroquai and can basically
hire and fire a he sees fit.

Edited by Doddy

I think Jamiroquai is basically Jay Kay's project. Who he has in the project is up to him. The same way that Simple Minds now is basically Jim Kerr and Charlie Birchill. The other musicians could be anyne and just make up the band. Funnily enough, there is another band called Ex Simple Minds which is Derek Forbes, Mick McNeil and the original drummer.

[quote name='Doddy' post='974949' date='Oct 2 2010, 01:09 PM']I seem to remember reading an old interview with Zender where he said something like although JK tries to treat it as a band,it is actually just him. Bearing in mind that the first single was JK and a bunch of session guys-including Andrew Levy on Bass.

Edit...... In the Feb '98 issue of Bassist,it says that when Jay Kay recorded 'When You Gonna Learn' he didn't have a band-just a roster of
'help out' musicians.He actually put the 'band' together after that first single. So,as far as I see it,Jay Kay is Jamiroquai and can basically
hire and fire a he sees fit.[/quote]

Ah. So he's not at all like all the other egotistical singers then. :)

But the music is good (if you like it you does, if you don't...well that's how subjective music can be or not to be...that is the question).

Live they are absolutely killer...saw then at a charity gig at Battersea Power Station...digeridoo an 'al.

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='squire5' post='974873' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:05 PM']Please tell me if I'm wrong.The band is Jamiroquai,the singer is Jay Kay.Right??Why do presenters refer to HIM as Jamiroquai..Jools Holland did it last night...."And now,the man who opened the show,Jamiroquai!!!
They are being portrayed as HIS backing band,as in HE'S Jamiroquai,they're just a bunch of musos got together for the show. :lol:
Youda thought HE would have said something.I mean it's not the first time I've heard this.

I may be wrong,but I don't think I am.

Rant over!!! :)[/quote]

Forgot to add...the great Mr Stuart Zender was on bass then...white Warwick Streamer with incredible blue laser LEDs care of my 'ol mate Mr SimS!! Stuart started the riff in the pitch black with only the LEDs shining through the darkness in the concert hall. Fab!!

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='SMART' post='975089' date='Oct 2 2010, 04:06 PM']But the music is good (if you like it you does, if you don't...well that's how subjective music can be or not to be...that is the question).

Live they are absolutely killer...saw then at a charity gig at Battersea Power Station...digeridoo an 'al.

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Edited by SMART

Bass players hark on about Zender (who was awesome) but I really haven't enjoyed any Jamiroquai stuff since Toby Smith left the group, in my opinion whatever the contracts may say he was an important creative force and kept the band interesting with his voicings etc. JK's more recent offerings have been very derivative and uninspiring to me, admittedly these will always do well in the pop/club market but musically they're completely forgettable. I think Smith and Kay complemented each other nicely with the former's musicality and the latter's uncomplicated charisma. Runaway has a good bass line and harks back to an earlier sound, but that's about all that stuck in my mind from the 2000s. Recent live incarnations of the band seem competent, but definitely have a session-player-marking-time vibe. The modern recorded stuff is very over-processed for my tastes, sounding far too Logic-ed to the point where quantisation and compression has just killed the groove.
Lately they've become half the band they used to be (geddit? sigh)

[quote name='squire5' post='974873' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:05 PM']Please tell me if I'm wrong.The band is Jamiroquai,the singer is Jay Kay.Right??Why do presenters refer to HIM as Jamiroquai..Jools Holland did it last night...."And now,the man who opened the show,Jamiroquai!!!
They are being portrayed as HIS backing band,as in HE'S Jamiroquai,they're just a bunch of musos got together for the show. :)

I may be wrong,but I don't think I am.[/quote]
For starters don't believe everything Jools Holland says. Second, Do your homework. Jay Kay IS Jamiroquai, the band works for him. Third, No. you are wrong.

The band I play bass in is a bit like that, the guitarist/singer put it together and he does all the songwriting/organising/etc.

I mostly get to do my own thing as regards bass parts, and am quite happy to let someone else make all the decisions as regards where we play, what the setlist is, etc.

The way I look at it, he has an idea of what he wants to do with the band, whereas I'm just happy to play music, so it suits me fine.

At the last count, we have had (IIRC) 23 different people contribute at various gigs, in part due to band members having other bands/commitments which get in the way rather than people hired and fired, though one or two have only done one gig :)

Jay Kay is meant to be a sound enough guy, but obviously Booze/Coke make him a complete and utter twat.

The night after he got his nose smashed in, he did a Carling homecoming gig, and popped a joke about himself at the start, i think he realised what a turd he'd been, and was attempting damage limitation.

I saw them on the Travelling Without Moving tour with Zender, and the the Funk Odessy tour with Nick Fyffe.

Both fantastic gigs, although the TWM gig was a lot more free and funky, the FO tour was very polished and tight.

Either which way, i wasn't mad about the performance on Jools, the new material just seems a bit weak...glad they've gone back to a more 'live' sound.

Jamiroquai is the band, Jay Kay is the Frontman/Creative Bod...I know what the OP is getting at, you don't hear people calling Mick Hucknall 'Simpy Red'.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='977121' date='Oct 4 2010, 02:16 PM']Jay Kay IS Jamiroguai just like Robert Fripp IS King Crimson. Simples :)[/quote]

Yes, but if i met Robert Fripp, i wouldn't say 'Oh, Hello Mr.Crimson'.

Jamiroquai is Jay Kays Collective...him + his chosen musicians.