Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai - Man or band????

squire5

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='977129' date='Oct 4 2010, 02:21 PM']Yes, but if i met Robert Fripp, i wouldn't say 'Oh, Hello Mr.Crimson'.

Jamiroquai is Jay Kays Collective...him + his chosen musicians.[/quote]

So it's basically a solo thing,but not using his name. It's not like a band like Alice Cooper,where the singer later takes
on the name/persona.

Am feeling a little controversial, but does anyone care?

I'm tempted to say that JK & his muzak is soul-less, funk-less, pointless production-line rubbish... But that would be an insult to music that is genuinely soul-less, funk-less, pointless production-line rubbish..

And that's with or without Zender IMO.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='977846' date='Oct 4 2010, 11:24 PM']Am feeling a little controversial, but does anyone care?

I'm tempted to say that JK & his muzak is soul-less, funk-less, pointless production-line rubbish... But that would be an insult to music that is genuinely soul-less, funk-less, pointless production-line rubbish..

And that's with or without Zender IMO.[/quote]

+1

My dislike of this ego with short-man syndrome aside... I find the music insipid faux-funk made palatable for white folk who would do better to buy any early Stevie Wonder album instead.

Jay Kay or Jamiroquai, it's still trendy-bar sh*t by any name.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='977846' date='Oct 4 2010, 11:24 PM']Am feeling a little controversial, but does anyone care?

And that's with or without Zender IMO.[/quote]

I disagree, strongly, but it's your opinion and no one can argue with that.

I think nowadays the only reason Jay Kay can push the music he does is because he's got Jamiroquai's name to it, it's definitely not a patch on Emergency On Planet Earth or Space Cowboy because that was truly unique stuff and to my ears isn't particularly great to listen to. Also the sound is very dated.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='978013' date='Oct 5 2010, 09:42 AM']Good playing. But that 'song' is nothing but a bassline with scat/blues vocals over the top.

Nice for some, not for me.[/quote]
Sure, each to their own :)

But we could all 'split' songs down like you did by most artists - similar way to how I dislike AC/DC - formulaic rock drivel (that all sounds kinda samey).

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='978507' date='Oct 5 2010, 04:10 PM']Absolutely. AC/DC never did a thing for me either, except when I'm shedded in a rock club. :) Now, Jellyfish, that was a band...[/quote]
Indeed, it's amazing what you suddenly find yourself liking/dancing when restricted to certain artists :lol: I don't know Jellyfish I'm afraid.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='978584' date='Oct 5 2010, 05:17 PM']When he first came on the scene, I heard the name as Jim Miroquai (i.e. he could have had a brother called Arthur Miroquai).[/quote]
Just choked with laughter, brilliant!!!! :) :lol: :) :) :D :lol:

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='977083' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:46 PM']Jay Kay is meant to be a sound enough guy, but obviously Booze/Coke make him a complete and utter twat.[/quote]

...in that case he should abstain from, or seriously moderate his intake of said drugs. If he chooses to partake, then he chooses to be that person.