Why become a member? ×

Covers bands - what's the appeal?

Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' post='973812' date='Oct 1 2010, 12:26 PM']So many of you play in covers bands, in fact it seems to me that all of you do!!!

What is the appeal of playing in a covers band?

I've never understood it.

I've always played in a band that writes and performs its own material - very very very rarely have we ever thrown a cover into our set and I always felt it was a pointless exercise.

Does anyone here, apart from me, play in a band that writes its own material?[/quote]

For me at 41 the reasons are

1. I love fun gigs, so simply choose the songs, learn at home, minimal rehearsal time (ive little spare time) then enjoy playing out :)

well thats it

I don't know how The Watersons, Yo Yo Ma, Nouvelle Vague and The Beatles ever live with themselves for playing other peoples' music.

Gotta say, the OP does come across as a bit of a twonk (probably unintentionally). My band plays about 75% covers, of classic salsa music from the 50s-70s. We write originals too, but the holier than thou attitude is a bit wearing. Do you include folk bands, symphony orchestras, opera companies, jazz bands, blues bands and church organists in the mix? If you want a band at your wedding do you get a load of indie kids in playing emo music or a group playing pop hits from the 60s-80s?

Ok - you're in a moderately successful band playing their own music. Well good luck to you, I'm glad for you, but it's no reason to look down on people not living your life.

[quote name='lanark' post='987838' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:10 AM']I don't know how The Watersons, Yo Yo Ma, Nouvelle Vague and The Beatles ever live with themselves for playing other peoples' music.

Gotta say, the OP does come across as a bit of a twonk (probably unintentionally)[/quote]

Im convinced the Beatles (and stones etc) would not ever regret their starting point, UK bands covering those USA tunes, it was the springboard for what come and is still coming after

No originals band has ever been successful without first learning and being inspired by music made by others

-

The OP sees covers as "a pointless exorcise" so I assume, that means he could derive no fun from it, so fair enough don't do it, but for alot of us, thats the point, its fun and fairly easy fun

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lanark' post='987838' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:10 AM']Ok - you're in a moderately successful band playing their own music.[/quote]
I have a question for Twigman regarding this.

The band you play with, as far as I can see, recorded & toured presumably on a pro or semi-pro basis predominantly in the 80s, and recorded (according to the band website's discog) sporadically between 1990 & 2003. Are you still writing, recording, releasing and (most importantly) performing new material now?

If you're not (and forgive me for making something of an assumption here) and you're gigging your best-known material for an audience of old fans from the 80s who want to hear the classics - in what way is that manifestly & functionally any different to playing covers or even being a tribute band?

My 80s & 90s originals bands didn't reach anything like the level of success that yours did, but if someone were to offer me money to get back with the guys from those bands for a few gigs - yes, I'd do it. But those bands & the songs I wrote & played back then have nothing to do with me as a musician now, and while I would probably enjoy the experience, it wouldn't have anything to do with why those bands existed in the first place - and from that perspective I doubt I'd feel particularly satisfied with it.

Jon.

[quote name='lanark' post='987838' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:10 AM']I don't know how The Watersons, Yo Yo Ma, Nouvelle Vague and The Beatles ever live with themselves for playing other peoples' music.
Do you include folk bands, symphony orchestras, opera companies, jazz bands, ...?[/quote]

For me, there is a big difference between playing music written by someone else, and slavishly trying to copy a particular famous recorded version of a song or piece of music. You don't find many folk groups, symphony orchestras or jazz bands doing the latter - not the ones worth their salt anyway. It seems to be primarily a pop / rock phenomenon. I can see why people would want to do it, though; if performing is what you really love, it's probably the easiest way to perform music in front of an appreciative audience of decent size. It doesn't appeal to me, but each to his own, I say.

[quote name='lojo' post='987866' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:33 AM']..... its fun and fairly easy fun[/quote]

Its not enough for me. That's why I stopped reading Janet and John books, why I stopped watching Play School or listening to Ed Stewart's Junior Choice. Easy quickly becomes boring, shallow, unstimulating, tedious. And yes, I do include folk bands, symphony orchestras, opera companies, jazz bands, blues bands and church organists in the mix. Not all music is made for dancing and entertainment is a personal as any other aspect of life. As a player, I get that people like what's familiar but I don't accept that this means that they won't like that which is not. I have said elsewhere, my most popular gig, audience reaction wise, is a Brazillian band playing all Brazillian tunes with the singing done in Portuguese. Noone knows any of the songs and yet, by the end of each night, the audiences are deeply engaged and singing along. I find polite jazz standards bore people whereas full on hardcore Coltranesque material, performed well, gets people to sit up and take notice, even if they have never heard it before.

The obsession by working musicians for the value of covers is a justification that allows them to feel ok about the music they play. It works because it is seen to work and often. Writing and performing your own stuff is harder, riskier, takes more courage and is ultimately more satisfying. It fails more often because it is a high risk undertaking. 'Perfecting' a realistic performance of another band's material is, for me, a shallow victory and, whilst it is not futile, is not even half way to where I want to be as a musician.

But its not all about me :)

[quote name='Twigman' post='973812' date='Oct 1 2010, 12:26 PM']So many of you play in covers bands, in fact it seems to me that all of you do!!!

What is the appeal of playing in a covers band?

I've never understood it.

I've always played in a band that writes and performs its own material - very very very rarely have we ever thrown a cover into our set and I always felt it was a pointless exercise.

Does anyone here, apart from me, play in a band that writes its own material?[/quote]

Pays the bills, uneducated punters = less setting up/getting levels perfect etc. The free beer/biotchs :)
I think its a great starting point for young or inexperienced people.
Plus, playing covers exposes you to other players style and techniques. That certainly aint pointless.
For the last few years I've been playing in an original band and can say its a hell of a lot tougher than playing in a cover band.

[quote name='Legion' post='987972' date='Oct 14 2010, 12:52 PM']What I want to know is when I click on "View [b]New[/b] Posts" why does this one keep appearing...[/quote]

Because it matters more to some of us than which batteries people use in their pedals. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='987907' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:57 AM']Its not enough for me. That's why I stopped reading Janet and John books

The obsession by working musicians for the value of covers is a justification that allows them to feel ok about the music they play[/quote]

I think that is slightly harsh, but I am pleased for you that you have the time, skill and means to follow a path more complicated than playing covers, Im also glad for myself that I have the chance to come and see acts like yourself that are not doing the norm, its all got its place

Last saturday, we got a pub jumping around to all kinds of covers, young and old dancing together

It maybe a bit janet and john to you, but I feel it unfair to brand it babyish, what you do is more challenging and complicated yes, but a well executed fun covers bash should not be belittled

I said its fun and its easy, meaning it can be achieved by busy guys, who have little time away from the shop floor and family to commit to music, but that does not mean we would not want to write and rehearsal originals, we do, but being realistic, covers is the only way I am going to achieve playing party atmosphere gig this christmas, so I am happy to go with it

Sultans of swing eh

You will find that the majority of well know bands played covers before venturing into writing their own material for example Pink Floyd,The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple,Eric Clapton I can go on forever.

The Idea of playing Cover songs is not necessarily to cover the to the letter unless you are a party type band. Listen to the Radio One live lounge and you will have an idea about what I'm talking about. Songs have been covered by jazz and blues musicians from from year dot. It's a good way of getting to Know what makes a band tick also you will find a bigger audience to support you and also a bit of cash.

I have seen so many young bands playing to empty halls or for ticket sales on the door all doing original stuff.OK I have mentioned a few of the old rockers but take it from me, old rocker or modern rocker most have played covers. I'm not saying it's wrong to want to write your own material but put some covers in with a blend of your own stuff and you will be on your way. I challenge you to do your own cover in your own style, not a carbon copy version of a band or bands that you are influenced by and you will see how challenging that is.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='988072' date='Oct 14 2010, 02:21 PM']Because it matters more to some of us than which batteries people use in their pedals. :)[/quote]
Cleverness aside - I certainly do care, and I understand your point of view entirely. Enough years studying martial arts taught me well that no technique is ever the same, all things need to change according to the situation.

But do I think it's a valid use of my time trying to convert people one way or the other? No, that old saying "you can lead a horse to water..." comes to mind.

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This thread is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!

'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to this forum 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!

'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig!

'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

[quote name='Clarky' post='988127' date='Oct 14 2010, 03:24 PM']'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This thread is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!

'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to this forum 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!

'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig!

'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!![/quote]
Beau'iful plumage, though!

Does it really matter?

I currently play in 2 originals bands. I also play in a Gary Numan covers band. I have a background in classical piano, classical trumpet, choral singing and marching bands. I've played music that I've written and I've played music that someone else has written. None are more valid the the others. I enjoy it and (hopefully) the audience enjoys it (if there is one :) )

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='988137' date='Oct 14 2010, 03:35 PM']Does it really matter?

I've played music that I've written and I've played music that someone else has written.[/quote]
Like I said several (hundred) pages back - if you're a bassist in an originals band, nine times out of ten you'll be playing music that someone else has written anyway.

It makes no difference beyond what you personally want & enjoy.

J.

I dont think playing in a covers band is pontless at all , i have played in origanals bands years ago and got close to a deal but never quite got there so then went on to play covers and 50/50 mix ,i love playing all sorts and a good song will always be that and as long as you get a kick from playing it thats all that maters in the end!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='988145' date='Oct 14 2010, 03:48 PM']Like I said several (hundred) pages back - if you're a bassist in an originals band, nine times out of ten you'll be playing music that someone else has written anyway.

It makes no difference beyond what you personally want & enjoy.

J.[/quote]

Well it couldn't have been more than 15 pages back - but it must seem like it. 2 new pages just today! :)

You're absolutely right but Bilbo hinted at something else.

Its not about us, we perform a supporting role. We don't write the music, we may have had an input into the arrangement by coming up with a bass line. BUT how many of us bass players ACTUALLY WRITE THE WORDS AND MELODY?

I'm off to start a new thread.

The 'I haven't got time' argument is an interesting one! My own take on it is similar. I haven't got time to spend learning how to play Victor Wootenesque party pieces of no intrinsic value. I am going to die one day and would rather leave a single original song/piece of music than go to my maker knowing I nailed 'Rhythm Stick'..... So I spend my limited time (I am not a pro and have a day job) exploring composition and improvistaion, not learning other people's stuff. I also think that 'learining new techniques' by playing other people's music is legitimate but there is an argument that this is what practice time is for not performance time. I have always learned bits of other people's stuff to explore new techniques/concepts, we all do, but these never appear in covers as most of that stuff was stuff I processed up to 30 years or more ago.

PS In case anyone doesn't get where I am coming from, I argue these points as an ideal to aspire to and not as a model to which I am able to adhere. Please don't make the mistake of taking me too seriously. Even I don't do that!!

In all my time being in and around bands (both covers and originals), in all the conversations and banter i've had, until now, I have never experienced anyone looking down on covers bands

Its part of our culture, be it dancing to cheesy disco at weddings, rock classics where punters know every word and note of the solo in pubs, tribute bands for nostalgia, Jazz standards

To say its pointless is snobbery, next thread will be telling us what we should wear when we play

I love hearing originals, but music does not become obsolete when the original artist has stopped gigging or is to massive to see play live in the local bar