Why become a member? ×

Covers bands - what's the appeal?

Twigman

[quote]And these "many venues" are?[/quote]
I think that you're unlikely to get get an answer from the op to that question - he's probably retreated to a safe distance with his tail between his legs. :)

[quote]You can't polish a turd.[/quote]
Funny, whenever I hear that expression in a musical context I'm always reminded of The Frankies - Relax & Two Tribes... Trevor Horn -"[b]Turd polisher supreme[/b]"

I play in two tribute/cover bands and three of us from one of the bands have an originals thing going on as well.
With the covers there are certain parts that have to be played as per the records or things just sound wrong.But once those bits are done I play what I want as long as it fits,thats an advantage of playing bass. The guitarists in the band are more tied to having to play the original riffs and solos.

The originals band is where I get to be creative,but we know that when it comes to gigs it will be virtually no money and playing to friends and family.

The appeal of cover bands is good money,packed gigs and a chance to put my spin on the music I grew up listening to and made me want to pick up the bass in the first place.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='975906' date='Oct 3 2010, 12:46 PM']True. But they [i]can [/i]be moulded into a variety of interesting shapes. Ideal for friends and family with Xmas just around the corner.[/quote]

And the winner is ...

Someone please put this in the quotes thread for posterity.

[quote name='Marvin' post='974400' date='Oct 1 2010, 06:15 PM']I'll vouch for what Dave Vader has said about Devon. The venues that used to book originals simply aren't there anymore, my old favourite was demolished some time ago (FWIW The Anchor in Westward Ho! - good times). The venues booking covers bands, I can't ever remember booking originals when I used to go to gigs to see for example these guys [url="http://www.myspace.com/cultmaniax"]Cult Maniax[/url], especially The Black Horse in Great Torrington :)[/quote]

Slight derail, but I used to play the Anchor a fair bit back in the day, good times, never got paid, played a lot of originals, and followed Big Al from the Cult Maniax everywhere (though they were the Sweet Thangs by then). Must have run into each other at some point Marv. :lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='975906' date='Oct 3 2010, 12:46 PM']True. But they [i]can [/i]be moulded into a variety of interesting shapes. Ideal for friends and family with Xmas just around the corner.[/quote]

You'll still get your hands very messy and once your friends and family have unwraped and played with their gifts I doubt they will want any more of them from you.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='976281' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:52 PM']I was in my teens. Formed an original band. Didn't make it big. Decided that playing covers to people was better than sitting in my bedroom whiddling away. And actually earned money.[/quote]

This is getting to be a familiar story here.

I really believe that studying the arrangments, forms, and bass lines of hundreds of other people's tunes is the best way to learn. It does frustrate me that playing covers is seen as selling out as opposed to a valuable learning experience.

I wish I had learned that before I started playing in originals bands.

If I wasn't in a covers band I don't know that I would have had the patience or motivation to learn (study) a high proportion of those tunes.

I hated the Beatles tunes with a vengance but I had to learn them, once learned they're a little bit more enjoyable. They pack the dance floors and at least I now know why. In the past I would have asked "What's the appeal of Get Back?"

I still don't listen to the Beatles at home though.

[quote name='TimR' post='976230' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:16 PM']You'll still get your hands very messy and once your friends and family have unwraped and played with their gifts I doubt they will want any more of them from you.[/quote]
I preserve them in resin blocks. Make for nice paperweights, fridge magnets, key chain fobs etc. My triumph last year was a curtain pole.

Each Xmas, everyone gathers round to see what I've done for them this year. And there's never a shortage, so don't give me any of your sh*t - I just don't need it, OK.

Did the originals thing for years with some success, working with song writers I enjoyed but around age 26+ I just lost interest in playing originals and the UK circuit you play to promote that. Hated the audition process in originals as came across so many up there own ass and that winds me up.
Now play covers only. Work with some of the best musicians and singers I have ever come across. No rehearsals. Put our own slant on tunes. Have a laugh. Usually get a 2-3 course meal and wine. Do the gig. Everyone dances and has a good time (usually). Go to my car looking forward to the next one and get paid.

I agree there is a slightly snobbish attitude towards covers bands on some of these posts that I don't agree with. I play in an originals band currently but that's only because I've got lucky in finding a genuinely talented vocalist who has the ability, sound and material to get somewhere. If I hadn't been lucky like that (and given a lot of the f***ing appalling vocalists we share gigs with it looks like I;ve been VERY lucky) then I would definitely have got on the covers thing by now. My first band was a three piece covers band which I f***ing loved playing in. The gigs we had were always really awesome and we made a decent second income, it also made me improve a lot as a musician then.

In originals bands you can be as f***ing brilliant as you like, you are still gonna have gigs (out of town especially) where you are playing to 4 people. And that's soul destroying at times.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing originals, I love playing really good originals and it's exciting because the new incarnation of my band is still in it's early stages but I'm not going to look down at covers musicians who are getting paid a lot more than me and have a lot more of a (better looking and less sulky) audience.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='976508' date='Oct 3 2010, 10:43 PM']I agree there is a slightly snobbish attitude towards covers bands on some of these posts that I don't agree with. I play in an originals band currently but that's only because I've got lucky in finding a genuinely talented vocalist who has the ability, sound and material to get somewhere. If I hadn't been lucky like that (and given a lot of the f***ing appalling vocalists we share gigs with it looks like I;ve been VERY lucky) then I would definitely have got on the covers thing by now. My first band was a three piece covers band which I f***ing loved playing in. The gigs we had were always really awesome and we made a decent second income, it also made me improve a lot as a musician then.

In originals bands you can be as f***ing brilliant as you like, you are still gonna have gigs (out of town especially) where you are playing to 4 people. And that's soul destroying at times.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing originals, I love playing really good originals and it's exciting because the new incarnation of my band is still in it's early stages but I'm not going to look down at covers musicians who are getting paid a lot more than me and have a lot more of a (better looking and less sulky) audience.[/quote]

I like your style, sir!

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='976103' date='Oct 3 2010, 04:21 PM']Slight derail, but I used to play the Anchor a fair bit back in the day, good times, never got paid, played a lot of originals, and followed Big Al from the Cult Maniax everywhere (though they were the Sweet Thangs by then). Must have run into each other at some point Marv. :)[/quote]

We must of bumped into each other. I used to go to Sweet Thangs gigs religiously. I only ever saw the Cult Maniax when they became the Vibe Tribe.

Did you attend the live performance given by Papa Brittel at the Anchor? It was truly superb.

Bl00dy good times.

[quote name='Doddy' post='974078' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:36 PM']Sometimes I do-I have bills to pay after all.
I play both originals and covers-mostly covers. I regularly play to large audiences and have toured all around Europe and America. Plus, I don't need to have a day job,and I love every second of it.[/quote]

Yeah, + the 1!

Playing originals gave me some of the happiest playing days I had and I have a demo CD full of great sounding memories from the 90s.

Playing, arranging and transcribing covers bought (half of) my house and keeps me, my wife and baby daughter out of harm's way.

Would have loved to have made more of the originals band but I love my life so it's a win-win for me :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='976560' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:27 PM']Did you attend the live performance given by Papa Brittel at the Anchor? It was truly superb.[/quote]
Papa Brittle? Blimey that's taking me back... What year was that? They supported my band in Reading once back in 87. I remember them being a bit tasty.

[quote name='TimR' post='976377' date='Oct 3 2010, 08:14 PM']This is getting to be a familiar story here.

I really believe that studying the arrangments, forms, and bass lines of hundreds of other people's tunes is the best way to learn. It does frustrate me that playing covers is seen as selling out as opposed to a valuable learning experience.

I wish I had learned that before I started playing in originals bands.

If I wasn't in a covers band I don't know that I would have had the patience or motivation to learn (study) a high proportion of those tunes.

I hated the Beatles tunes with a vengance but I had to learn them, once learned they're a little bit more enjoyable. They pack the dance floors and at least I now know why. In the past I would have asked "What's the appeal of Get Back?"[/quote]
+1 (except hating Beatles tunes with a vengence :) )

And didn't The Beatles, not to mention countless other bands, hone their craft playing (mainly) covers?

That way, musicians develop the experience and skill to do any subsequent originals real justice.

[quote name='Marvin' post='976560' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:27 PM']We must of bumped into each other. I used to go to Sweet Thangs gigs religiously. I only ever saw the Cult Maniax when they became the Vibe Tribe.

Did you attend the live performance given by Papa Brittel at the Anchor? It was truly superb.

Bl00dy good times.[/quote]

Yep, I was there, good night that was. I was (and still am) pretty good mates with Nick who played rhythm guitar in the Thangs. Still run into Andy sometimes as well (lead guitar). I also recall Chumbawamba being very exciting in there, and TV Smith being a little disappointing.

I enjoy playing covers bacause I like the challenge of learning some difficult, iconic basslines and then putting it to the test by performing them.

I see each one that I nail as a sort of milestone on my journey as a player.

This may sound a tad self-indulgent I know, but it's worked for me for quite a long time. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='973814' date='Oct 1 2010, 12:28 PM']You get paid, and people come and see you. And not just musos staring at your fingers and calling your gear sh*t, women, women who dance, and wear skimpy clothes. :)[/quote]
Totally agree, and it's a hobby!

Some of us are good song writers, some of us are good imitators, I wouldn't knock either.

[quote name='Legion' post='974207' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:40 PM']In essence, its a pity that 40% would drive you from the pub but does that mean we should all stop trying?[/quote]
Of course not, but I wanted to put some sort of perspective on this, that just because a band is an originals band doesn't mean it's any good, or, even if it is good within its selected genre, that I would want to listen to that genre.