Why become a member? ×

Covers bands - what's the appeal?

Twigman

In response to the idea that playing covers will broaden your playing & make you a better bassist - absolutely. I learned to play entirely by playing other peoples' songs, and still love to learn & (try to) perfect other players' bass parts that stretch me & challenge me.

The trouble is that audiences on the whole don't seem to want to hear the sort of covers which stretch & challenge the bassist!

J.

Edited by Bassassin

+1

Originality is only a good thing when

1) it is actually original
2) it is interesting musically

Otherwise we fall into the modern art trap of "Art is anything that generate an emotion" ... I would argue that the nett emotion should be positive..

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='tauzero' post='977100' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:57 PM']Of course not, but I wanted to put some sort of perspective on this, that just because a band is an originals band doesn't mean it's any good, or, even if it is good within its selected genre, that I would want to listen to that genre.[/quote]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='977130' date='Oct 4 2010, 02:23 PM']The trouble is that audiences on the whole don't seem to want to hear the sort of covers which stretch & challenge the bassist![/quote]

EIther that or the music that stretches the bass player is too hard for the guitarist and drummer to pull off!!

Give the audience what you assume they want, I say. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='974064' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:28 PM']I think I might've missed the boat with this one, but most bass players are happy to play covers because most bass players are not composers, and therefore have no particular personal investment in the music they are playing.

Jon.[/quote]
The band I'm in now I write and compose all the music.

OK, so taking this one step further (some of you are at this stage going, no please don't lets leave here now) is there a difference between playing in a covers band and a tribute band in terms of the types of gigs and the money you can earn from them? Would a tribute band be more of a touring band, setting up a whole bunch of dates where as a covers band is more of a case of playing in pubs and getting gigs where you can.

I can't really imagine say an ABBA tribute band or a Prince tribute band playing down at the Miners Arms. So does a tribute band and covers band demand a different type of venue etc?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='977160' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:43 PM']EIther that or the music that stretches the bass player is too hard for the guitarist and drummer to pull off!!

Give the audience what you assume they want, I say. :)[/quote]

I'd agree with that if my old drummer didn't come on here for a nose around.

Oh, bugger.

I don't think that's right, Linus. I have seen bands doing covers at theatres (60s music a favourite for them - not me, hate the s***) and tribute bands doing pubs (Railway in Ipswich used to have 3 a week). You can't generalise (or is that a generalisation :)). I guess some of its is about how big the show is. If its lasers and dancers, you won't get it in a pub.

[quote name='Rich' post='976678' date='Oct 4 2010, 07:54 AM']Papa Brittle? Blimey that's taking me back... What year was that? They supported my band in Reading once back in 87. I remember them being a bit tasty.[/quote]
It must have been the early 90's, at a guess 92. Brilliant band.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='976730' date='Oct 4 2010, 09:19 AM']Yep, I was there, good night that was. I was (and still am) pretty good mates with Nick who played rhythm guitar in the Thangs. Still run into Andy sometimes as well (lead guitar). I also recall Chumbawamba being very exciting in there, and TV Smith being a little disappointing.[/quote]

Well you could have said hello :) :) .
I bumped into Chris who was the bass player, the other day. He's good mates with a friend of mine, Nick, who's a drummer I'm trying to start a band with. Nick used to be in a band with Andy (aforementioned lead guitarist with Thangs), doing covers. Yeaaaaah, I've managed to bring it back to topic :lol:

I remember Andy doing a covers side project back in the afore-mentioned '92, with another mate of mine, Adrian on drums. They seemed very happy to be doing covers alongside their originals stuff. Played in the Gannet back in Bideford all the time.
(and we've stayed on subject, almost) :)

I saw Andy in a covers band not that long ago now I come to think of it, can't for the life of me remember what they were called though. Good bloke.

[quote name='Twigman' post='974013' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:06 PM']I joined in 1984, left in 1990 (the band packed it in in 1991ish), rejoined in 2008 when the band reformed

between 1991 and 2008 a handful of gigs were played - between this band and another on the same label there were a pool of musicians from which to pick - I was in the other band from 1989 to 1993 - bizarrely they have reformed without me now in 2010[/quote]

I was the sound engineer for a gig you did in 1987 or 1988. A venue called "The Flag" in North Wembley

[quote name='Bilbo' post='977186' date='Oct 4 2010, 02:57 PM']I don't think that's right, Linus. I have seen bands doing covers at theatres (60s music a favourite for them - not me, hate the s***) and tribute bands doing pubs (Railway in Ipswich used to have 3 a week). You can't generalise (or is that a generalisation :)). I guess some of its is about how big the show is. If its lasers and dancers, you won't get it in a pub.[/quote]

But the covers bands that are playing in theatres are usually themed shows (60's,Motown, Disco...Whatever) in a similar way to
tribute bands.
It is certainly easier to get better gigs and more money if you have a theme. I've found this out myself by actually calling up
venues and booking gigs. If you tell a venue that you are a cover band,they don't know what you are going to play and think
that can book a local band for a lot less. But,if you tell them that you are,say,a tribute to 90's Britpop,you are more likely to
get the money that you ask for and the venue owner can advertise you better.

[quote name='Doddy' post='977231' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:28 PM']But the covers bands that are playing in theatres are usually themed shows (60's,Motown, Disco...Whatever) in a similar way to
tribute bands.
It is certainly easier to get better gigs and more money if you have a theme. I've found this out myself by actually calling up
venues and booking gigs. If you tell a venue that you are a cover band,they don't know what you are going to play and think
that can book a local band for a lot less. But,if you tell them that you are,say,a tribute to 90's Britpop,you are more likely to
get the money that you ask for and the venue owner can advertise you better.[/quote]

He's right there you know, when we started up my latest thing last year (80s tribute act) we just wanted to play, so we rang pubs and they would originally say maybe, just on the reputations of the individual members, but once we said it was as cheesy as it is, and that we dress up like twats, they were throwing money at us. And it keeps making more and more money, and a bigger following than I ever expected Good times.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='977254' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:50 PM']..... once we said it was as cheesy as it is, and that we dress up like twats, they were throwing money at us. And it keeps making more and more money, and a bigger following than I ever expected Good times.[/quote]

Hurrah for you. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='977272' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:08 PM']Hurrah for you. :)[/quote]

Not so much Bilbo, I feel dirty, I play music I do not like, for money, I can feel a 17 year old version of myself chucking fruit at me every time I walk on to a stage. Still, a gigs a gig, and I am a shameless whore.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='977212' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:16 PM']I remember Andy doing a covers side project back in the afore-mentioned '92, with another mate of mine, Adrian on drums. They seemed very happy to be doing covers alongside their originals stuff. Played in the Gannet back in Bideford all the time.
(and we've stayed on subject, almost) :)

I saw Andy in a covers band not that long ago now I come to think of it, can't for the life of me remember what they were called though. Good bloke.[/quote]

I think my mate was in a band with Andy sometime before The Sweet Thangs. He was going to ask Andy if he was interested in forming one recently but found out he's already got something on.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='977314' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:30 PM']Not so much Bilbo, I feel dirty, I play music I do not like, for money, I can feel a 17 year old version of myself chucking fruit at me every time I walk on to a stage. Still, a gigs a gig, and I am a shameless whore.[/quote]

He is, he's a shameless whore Bilbo, he's got an awful reputation around.....well the whole of Devon. :lol:

[quote name='Doddy' post='977231' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:28 PM']But the covers bands that are playing in theatres are usually themed shows (60's,Motown, Disco...Whatever) in a similar way to
tribute bands.
get the money that you ask for and the venue owner can advertise you better.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. :lol: :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='977326' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:35 PM']He is, he's a shameless whore Bilbo, he's got an awful reputation around.....well the whole of Devon. :)[/quote]

Sadly true, and how I ended up having to count in the "drummer" at an open mic night the other week, which helpfully made me and my guitar playing mate (who talked me into doing it AGAIN) look like muppets.
Moral, never ask a bloke who told you he could play drums at a barbecue to pop over and play in front of an audience without hearing him first. Oh, and try not to say yes to every gig you are offered....

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='977314' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:30 PM']Not so much Bilbo, I feel dirty, I play music I do not like, for money, I can feel a 17 year old version of myself chucking fruit at me every time I walk on to a stage. Still, a gigs a gig, and I am a shameless whore.[/quote]

At last! A man of integrity who owns his own deviance!! Acknowledging the problem is half way to solving it. You have my respect!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='977350' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:45 PM']At last! A man of integrity who owns his own deviance!! Acknowledging the problem is half way to solving it. You have my respect![/quote]

Why thank you, I also drink too much and smoke like a thing on fire. Never fixed them neither, but I can read music (if I squint....)

Where's the evidence that music is dying?
As far as I can see, there are new genres springing up weekly, more people are in bands, musical instrument sales are way up and there is almost unlimited choice in listening to music.
Where I live, I have a choice of at least 5 or 6 live acts every night within a very short distance.

Music is thriving!
:) :lol: :)

There's a fine line between being a whore and being a mercenary.

[quote name='chaypup' post='977481' date='Oct 4 2010, 06:44 PM']Where's the evidence that music is dying?
As far as I can see, there are new genres springing up weekly, more people are in bands, musical instrument sales are way up and there is almost unlimited choice in listening to music.
Where I live, I have a choice of at least 5 or 6 live acts every night within a very short distance.

Music is thriving!
:) :lol: :)[/quote]

You don't live in Felixstowe, do you?

[quote name='chaypup' post='977481' date='Oct 4 2010, 06:44 PM']Where's the evidence that music is dying?

Music is thriving!
:) :lol: :)[/quote]

I don't think music is dying but I think it's not easy for good music to come to the forefront because the forefront is occupied by label-sponsored acts that are easily moulded and controllable.

[quote name='Twigman' post='973812' date='Oct 1 2010, 12:26 PM']So many of you play in covers bands, in fact it seems to me that all of you do!!!

What is the appeal of playing in a covers band?

I've never understood it.[/quote]

Well . . . . I'd like to think I'm quite a reasonably good musician . . so far as playing guitar and Bass is concerned that is ! . . . . but I'm equally certain I'm absolutely no good at all at writing new material and nor are any of the other members / performers of the covers band I play in ! . . . .

Though you dont make the specific statement . . . are you sort of implying that people who cant write original material or who collectively dont know anyone who can write original material didn't ought to play in bands ? . . . . did we "covers people" all ought to sell our instruments and constrain ourselves to listening to the originals on vinyl or CD ? . . . . Or am I asking, do you think good musicianship is wasted if its only used to deliver a tune written a while ago by someone else somewhere else ?

I believe being able to write music is a wonderful gift and fresh original songs must be very difficult to write these days. If you are one of those lucky people who can write . . or you work with some one who is gifted in this way then I really really envy you . . . provided the quality of the writing is good ! . . . and I guess in that case you could consider yourself a division up from the humble covers musician ?

From my experiance there is nothing better to see and hear, than a live band playing their own material when the songwriting is good . . . . . . . but conversely . . there is also nothing worse than a live band playing their own material when the songwriting is err . . how do I say it . . . uninspiring or just plain bad !

To sum up my thoughts . . . well maybe there arnt enough good songwriters in the world to give all of us bands out here a captivating set of new material ! . . . . and some of us actually do like the covers we chose to perform ! . . . . and anyway all of our songs, now covers, were originals in the fisrt place . . . . . and, actually, one of my main reasons for doing live music at all, is the real kick I get out of entertaining the audience . . . and if the audience have turned up specifically to listen to covers of tunes they know and love . . then whats wrong with me using my playing ability, modest as it is, to do the best I can with those tunes ? . . . so . . . there seem to be quite a lot of reasons for justifying anyone who wants to play covers ? . . . . .

Just some thoughts to stimulate the debate ? . . . . .

:)