Why become a member? ×

Oh Dear. Another Greatest Bassist poll

Doddy

Music Radar have had a best bassist of all time poll.

I don't feel the need to say anymore

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-25-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/25#content"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the...9007/25#content[/url]

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='967067' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:35 PM']Wow, Paul Gray from Slipknot at no.3? Cliff Burton at no.5? I guess it's amazing what being dead will do to your musical credibility. :)[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better mate. Before his death, I don't think I knew many people (bassists included) who knew who Paul Gray was, let alone would've included in a greatest bassist list.

The problem with compiling a list like this based on a poll is that it will always be affected to some extent by people who'll vote for their favourite bands or for those who're dead, rather than strictly looking at ability, technicality, creativity, etc. The 'best' bassist is a subjective concept and so there'll never be a perfect list, but it's still dissapointing to see cases like this that demonstrate what is most likely bias on the part of (some of) the voters.

:)

I have to say, whilst I think John Myung is very talented musician he's put into the shade by the guys on the adverts to the right of the picture (just in case it doesn't show for everyone, it's Warwick advert with Jonas Hellborg and Jack Bruce on it).

Umm, now the one at #3, I've heard Slipknot and can't say I'm a fan, but seriously is he any good certainly not better than Steve Harris or Jaco Pastorius :lol:

Oh well, it's not my list so who am I to argue :)

EDIT: Actually to give them credit (as others have mentioned) I suppose it's not a dreadful mix of players considering. Edited by purpleblob

I really don't know why they bother with these things - its all personal taste

Like the guitarist ones, its normally Hendrix. Now I don't particularly like Hendrix. I understand how he influenced so many guitarists but I don't like his playing - too scratchy wah wah, do you want to start actually playing something now?

Probably annoyed many hendrix fans but i don't care because that is my opinion.

Put a poll on here as to what the best amp is just now and I'd bet the TC Rebelhead would come in first with the Markbass head in at 2. Never played either, don't need to cos I'm sorted with my out of fashion heavy GK 700RB II.

I think I've made my point :)

Well, to be fair to Burton, I guess he was pushing the boundaries of rock/metal bass playing and had a very individual and recognisable 'sound' too. I think also his image did a lot for bassists in the way that suddenly bassists could take more of a lead role in metal. In a musical way and also in a performing way too. Having said that though, I do think he was too high on the list.

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='967463' date='Sep 25 2010, 12:33 PM']Well, to be fair to Burton, I guess he was pushing the boundaries of rock/metal bass playing and had a very individual and recognisable 'sound' too. I think also his image did a lot for bassists in the way that suddenly bassists could take more of a lead role in metal. In a musical way and also in a performing way too. Having said that though, I do think he was too high on the list.

Truckstop[/quote]

Very true...definately influential within the genre, most metal bassists seem to list him as an influence. He certainly did more with the instrument than quite a few metal players at the time - but far too high on the list.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='967618' date='Sep 25 2010, 01:56 PM']Playing music is not a competition. There is no best - only music you like and music you don't.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bit of a loser really.[/quote]

exactamundo - can you imagine if Sheehan did his widdly stuff on a Sting album? Both play well, both completely different bass players