Why become a member? ×

Backing a tribute artist

arthurhenry

I am one of those with fairly snobby and negative views of tribute bands, but would you agree that playing in the backing band to a tribute artist where you are essentially anonymous (as you would be if playing with the real artist) is a lot different and more morally acceptable than putting on a wig and pretending to be Chris Squire?

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='964159' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:52 AM']....I am one of those with fairly snobby and negative views of tribute bands....[/quote]
I'd do it, but then I'm not a snob or up myself when it comes to playing bass!

Edited by chris_b

Agree with the others. A gig is a gig. If you like the songs/band then go for it.

As for morally acceptable. Why on earth wouldn't any of it be? We are entertainers, people like all this sort of stuff i believe.

Ok, how about if it was Van Morrison tribute? (im sure you know where this is going ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='the_skezz' post='964267' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:25 AM']Don't get what's morally unacceptable about either...it's not like you're harming anyone either way, you're just playing songs at a gig. Out of curiosity, how come you have a 'snobby and negative' view of tribute bands?[/quote]

Just my personal view of how I look at it as a musician. If I were to play in a Zeppelin tribute for example, I would learn JPJ's lines absolutely exactly with pinpoint accuracy, anything less I would consider not to be doing it properly. It would then be my job to not play like me! All my own characteristics and creativity would have to be cast aside in order to do the best job possible for personal pride and value for money for ticket buyers to the show. I would find this soul destroying. Whereas if I play behind a Joe Cocker tribute for example, I'd feel a bit more free to put my own spin on things as I'd just be an anonymous backing musician and nobody would care.
Probably just my own weird way of looking at it and I was trying to be a bit self depreciating when I said "snobby"! Agree that getting out and playing as much as possible is number one priority, just trying to get my head around how I feel about it.

Ps I'm also aware that the tribute thing has been something of a hot topic on here before and some negative views have been expressed, so I was alluding to that.

Edited by arthurhenry

If you're inclined to be precious about your artistic integrity then play to as many men and a dog as you can, but if you loose the blinkers there should be room on your moral high ground for all sorts of projects, including putting on a wig, a monocle or playing in a tribute band.

[quote name='chris_b' post='964327' date='Sep 22 2010, 12:03 PM']If you're inclined to be precious about your artistic integrity then play to as many men and a dog as you can, but if you loose the blinkers there should be room on your moral high ground for all sorts of projects, including putting on a wig, a monocle or playing in a tribute band.[/quote]

Not precious about artistic integrity, you should see some of the bands I've been in! Just precious about being able to be me, play like me, react to the muisc in my own way. Surely that's important to all of us? For me personally, maybe not for anyone else, I feel like a tribute band would stifle that.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='964297' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:47 AM']Just my personal view of how I look at it as a musician. If I were to play in a Zeppelin tribute for example, I would learn JPJ's lines absolutely exactly with pinpoint accuracy, anything less I would consider not to be doing it properly. It would then be my job to not play like me! All my own characteristics and creativity would have to be cast aside in order to do the best job possible for personal pride and value for money for ticket buyers to the show. I would find this soul destroying. Whereas if I play behind a Joe Cocker tribute for example, I'd feel a bit more free to put my own spin on things as I'd just be an anonymous backing musician and nobody would care.
Probably just my own weird way of looking at it and I was trying to be a bit self depreciating when I said "snobby"! Agree that getting out and playing as much as possible is number one priority, just trying to get my head around how I feel about it.

Ps I'm also aware that the tribute thing has been something of a hot topic on here before and some negative views have been expressed, so I was alluding to that.[/quote]

Yeah, I kinda get what you mean, I wouldn't particularly want to spend all my time playing someone else's lines. It was mainly the use of the word 'morally' that threw me off...is someone's happy playing bass written by someone else for money, then fair enough says I. Good on you for wanting to put your own spin on things though, it's always good to see a desire for a bit of originality :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='964296' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:47 AM']A lest with tribute bands they have made an effort. I would have thought a lot more work goes in to the good ones than just a covers band.
Just look at the Australian Pink Floyd or Bootleg Beatles (amongst others) to see the effort some go to.[/quote]

Definitely a point I'd like to pick up on. Some tribute bands do a great job - lots of effort and finance going in to making a great show, which makes the ticket price more worthwhile. Pat on the back for them. What I do object to - and not mentioning the band's name, is paying 8 quid to see a bunch of bored..well, I won't even call them musicians, in jeans and t-shirts not even pretending to be 'the band' - whilst the 'singer' is under some sort of dillusion that he *actually is* the person he is doing a bad job of mimicking.

We've all seen those bad 'X-Factor' contestants on YouTube who go on the show dressed as Michael Jackson.. yeah - really that bad!!

I'm never sure what to make of the "A gig's a gig" credo. I've played plenty of gigs where I would've rather been somewhere else; gigs that we thought might be sh*t when we agreed to play them and didn't disappoint.

I suppose if you're only doing it for the money then it's a different story. To me a gig's a live music event not a job.

[quote name='dood' post='964495' date='Sep 22 2010, 02:09 PM']What I do object to - and not mentioning the band's name, is paying 8 quid to see a bunch of bored..well, I won't even call them musicians, in jeans and t-shirts not even pretending to be 'the band' - whilst the 'singer' is under some sort of dillusion that he *actually is* the person he is doing a bad job of mimicking.[/quote]

A bit off topic by here goes.
I was a huge Bon Jovi fan back in the late 80's early 90's. Seen them about 8 times. The first time we had Jon flyin gover the audience in a cape. lest item i saw them (Hyde Park) we was dressed in jeans and t-shirt, hardly moving and looked fed up.

These days i find the tribute bands like By Jovi and the Bon Jovi Experience put more of an effort in to their, admittedly small, shows than the real deal. At a great cost saving as well.

Just saying.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='964297' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:47 AM']Just my personal view of how I look at it as a musician. If I were to play in a Zeppelin tribute for example, I would learn JPJ's lines absolutely exactly with pinpoint accuracy, anything less I would consider not to be doing it properly. It would then be my job to not play like me! All my own characteristics and creativity would have to be cast aside in order to do the best job possible for personal pride and value for money for ticket buyers to the show. I would find this soul destroying. Whereas if I play behind a Joe Cocker tribute for example, I'd feel a bit more free to put my own spin on things as I'd just be an anonymous backing musician and nobody would care.[/quote]
But which version of JPJ's lines would you play? There's the rub.

Surely you can be yourself in the style in that situation, albeit with a wig or whatever. But then perhaps its a bad example and you would be more restricted in a tribute to a band that only had studio verions and no live excursions.

I'd still go with a gigs a gig and not worry obout it.

Both my bands are covers bands, but while I might stick reasonably closely to a well known line (if you're doing Boys Are Back In Town you can't stray very far at all) I would not necessarily be absolutely ruled by it note for note.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='964504' date='Sep 22 2010, 02:21 PM']A bit off topic by here goes.
I was a huge Bon Jovi fan back in the late 80's early 90's. Seen them about 8 times. The first time we had Jon flyin gover the audience in a cape. lest item i saw them (Hyde Park) we was dressed in jeans and t-shirt, hardly moving and looked fed up.

These days i find the tribute bands like By Jovi and the Bon Jovi Experience put more of an effort in to their, admittedly small, shows than the real deal. At a great cost saving as well.

Just saying.[/quote]

Love your posts Dave, that's actually a really good point. With reference to the cost saving - I think these days as we're all a bit more strapped for cash, rising costs of shows to see big bands could make tribute shows a bit more appealing? - I mean - I was offered a Muse ticket the other day for £45 - I love the band n' everything, but seriously! - It'd cost about the same again to arrange travel as well, so the costs start mounting up.

Wembley, according to google has a capacity of 90,000 - even at 20 quid a ticket - thats hulluva lot of profit surely?

Its also the fact that a lot of concert goers want to hear the classics as well as new material. I think the tribute bands give us this as they tend to concentrate more on a bands heyday IME. Or you spend a lot more to hear the new album the band are promoting that your probably not too familiar with, and just a few classics.

Maybe that just me but its something ive noticed over the past few years and have stopped going to major gigs.

[quote name='dood' post='964495' date='Sep 22 2010, 02:09 PM']Definitely a point I'd like to pick up on. Some tribute bands do a great job - lots of effort and finance going in to making a great show, which makes the ticket price more worthwhile. Pat on the back for them. What I do object to - and not mentioning the band's name, is paying 8 quid to see a bunch of bored..well, I won't even call them musicians, in jeans and t-shirts not even pretending to be 'the band' - whilst the 'singer' is under some sort of dillusion that he *actually is* the person he is doing a bad job of mimicking.

We've all seen those bad 'X-Factor' contestants on YouTube who go on the show dressed as Michael Jackson.. yeah - really that bad!![/quote]

Are you saying the band are bad because they don't pretend to be the band and the frontman is bad because he does? In some respects, this applies to my tribute band, where the frontman of the original band is the only recognisable member to all but the most diehard of fans. Therefore only our frontman goes for 'the look' a bit, although he's certainly not under the misapprehension that he is that person. Not that we'd ever put in a 'bored' performance mind you, but to be honest there's not much point in the rest of us trying to look like the guys we're replicating the parts of - especially as with the exception of the bass player, the line up was somewhat varied over the years. We do wear 'stage clothes', but we're not studying 80s wardrobes...

To the OP, I don't think there's really any difference. I like to see a good tribute play the original parts competently, whilst hopefully injecting some of their own energy into the performance. There are some things that have to be done a certain way though, and I'd say that applies to bands backing a solo tribute artist as much as it does to tribute bands. In many ways I'm really in a backup band to a solo artist - that's really what the band we're tributing was all about. Sometimes solo artists expect you to play parts in a certain way, tribute or not.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='964297' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:47 AM']Whereas if I play behind a Joe Cocker tribute for example, I'd feel a bit more free to put my own spin on things as I'd just be an anonymous backing musician and nobody would care.[/quote]

If you see any of the original bands live - they put their own spin on their original recordings.A slur here, a bum note there,
Why the f*ck am i still doing this 25 years later [Other than i need the dosh]
So feel free to do what you want, a gig's a gig, its still all show business after all.

Garry