Why become a member? ×

Backing a tribute artist

arthurhenry

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='996706' date='Oct 22 2010, 09:18 AM']If it was that wrong to do people wouldn't come and see you, and there would be no market for it.[/quote]

Like dog fighting :)

If it gets people who wouldn't normally go to see bands used to the idea of going to music venues I'm all for it.
They might turn up when we're playing by mistake one night.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='996747' date='Oct 22 2010, 09:57 AM']Like dog fighting :)[/quote]

No, thats illegal gambling, not watching live music for enjoyment (although no doubt some people will get more pleasure from one than the other)

I think the numbers speak for themselves really.

Edited by dave_bass5

Are there debates about integrity for orchestral players, who play the material as accurately as possible? Maybe period-instrument orchestras are looked down on as being the 'tributes' of the orchestral world?

Re. tribute bands, as a punter I want to be entertained and have a good night. Some tribute bands do, some don't. I once saw a Coldplay tribute (not my choice) and the best reaction they got was during the encore when they played 'I believe in a thing called love' :)

AFAIA the tribute band started in Australia, when due to the original acts not touring there, people made their own entertainment.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='996796' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:31 AM']I don't know about tribute bands, but I reckon most players will end up playing covers at some point in their musical lives.[/quote]

Tuition books are full of 'covers' isn't that how we start to learn? Unless you are Paul Simonon of course :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='996774' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:16 AM']Are there debates about integrity for orchestral players, who play the material as accurately as possible? Maybe period-instrument orchestras are looked down on as being the 'tributes' of the orchestral world?[/quote]

Not at all, only amongst the bedroom musicians on forums like this.... :lol:

[quote]Re. tribute bands, as a punter I want to be entertained and have a good night. Some tribute bands do, some don't. I once saw a Coldplay tribute (not my choice) and the best reaction they got was during the encore when they played 'I believe in a thing called love' :)[/quote]

Lol! But you loved us though didn't you? :)

[quote]AFAIA the tribute band started in Australia, when due to the original acts not touring there, people made their own entertainment.[/quote]

That's right mate. Australia got so few International touring acts that the local musicians started forming 'tributes' to give the baying public the songs/entertainment that they wanted....

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='996812' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:40 AM']Tuition books are full of 'covers' isn't that how we start to learn?[/quote]

Of course it is but we don't practice on stage, do we? We play music and have a choice as to what we play and most of us don't play Frankie and Johnny or Campdown Races :)

Or shall I start a Bert Weedon 'Play In A Day' tribute band?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='996822' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:47 AM']Or shall I start a Bert Weedon 'Play In A Day' tribute band?[/quote]

i think that would be worth seeing :)

[quote name='cetera' post='996818' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:44 AM']Lol! But you loved us though didn't you? :)[/quote]

entertainment and a great show - and not just for Kiss fans :lol:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='996796' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:31 AM']I don't know about tribute bands, but I reckon most players will end up playing covers at some point in their musical lives.[/quote]
Of course they will…..

When I was in my 20s I devoted all my time and energy to trying to put a successful originals band together, to the detriment of career and relationships. I was not alone in doing this, nor do I regret it and I would expect anyone of that age who is serious about a career as a musician in a band to do pretty much the same!

As I got older and was obviously not going to be a superstar what was I supposed to do?? Not play anymore or carry on banging away playing to smaller and smaller (and younger) audiences? Like most musicians who found themselves with more day job & family commitments, I started playing in covers bands. Many of these have been quite successful on their own terms; I've played plenty of memorable gigs & had loads of fun playing with mates who are really good players!

After all, when it comes down to it we're all glorified song & dance men who want to play to an audience who want to watch us……….

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' post='997487' date='Oct 22 2010, 08:15 PM']Of course they will…..

When I was in my 20s I devoted all my time and energy to trying to put a successful originals band together, to the detriment of career and relationships. I was not alone in doing this, nor do I regret it and I would expect anyone of that age who is serious about a career as a musician in a band to do pretty much the same!

As I got older and was obviously not going to be a superstar what was I supposed to do?? Not play anymore or carry on banging away playing to smaller and smaller (and younger) audiences? Like most musicians who found themselves with more day job & family commitments, I started playing in covers bands. Many of these have been quite successful on their own terms; I've played plenty of memorable gigs & had loads of fun playing with mates who are really good players!

After all, when it comes down to it we're all glorified song & dance men who want to play to an audience who want to watch us……….[/quote]

Great post.

In my early teens and early twenties I played original material. I was recording my own tracks on my four-track Portastudio. I got nowhere and decided to play covers because it kept me playing and I earned a few bob.

What I'm saying -and I know there are a lot of people that will agree - is that you should try to fulfill your dream of making it with your own material and band, but if that doesn't work out, then why stop playing? Play some covers and enjoy yourselves. Get out there and earn some money.

Why not?