Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

[quote name='budget bassist' post='804094' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:23 PM']I don't think a bass terror will produce the desired effects there... they're very valvey from what i've heard, quite warm, not at all transparent! Ashdown amps don't tend to be as transparent as markbass gear either, luckily i love the sounds my ashdown makes, so it's all good.[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='804457' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:13 AM']The Bass Terror is too warm and dirty I think for this. A good amp for the money but its more of a rockers/blues amp.

Transparent, crisp and clear = Markbass F1 or LM2/3.[/quote]

Thanks guys, kind of what I expected.
I run a pretty hot output too, so I guess I'd struggle to get a clean sound at all out of the Terror then.
F1 it is I reckon then, unless OutToPlayJazz comes along with some wise words about the LittleGiant... :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='804519' date='Apr 13 2010, 07:25 AM']Thanks guys, kind of what I expected.
I run a pretty hot output too, so I guess I'd struggle to get a clean sound at all out of the Terror then.
F1 it is I reckon then, unless OutToPlayJazz comes along with some wise words about the LittleGiant... :)

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

I tested the Bass Terror and it's filthy! In a good way...if you like some tubey gain the Terror is perfect.

There is a great F1 comparison video here by talkbass amp/cab expert Kjung:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUrmYZlSnY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUrmYZlSnY...feature=related[/url]

If you want crisp clear bass, giving you masses of volume in a tiny well made package, I cannot see many amps that come close. Some of them do state more wattage, but markbass, and recently TC, are probably the only amp companies making micros that are honest with ratings.

Personally, I love the little mark 2/3. Slightly warmer, still precise and clear, very loud. I still want an f1 though.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='urbanx' post='804390' date='Apr 12 2010, 11:23 PM']On another note, is anyones rig taller than them?
Mine is, but I'm short...[/quote]

I'm 5'11'' and the knobs on the head of my rig are just at eye level. It used to be taller, but i sold the ampeg 4x10 that was under the marshal cab...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='803578' date='Apr 12 2010, 12:02 PM']Awww, so cute :)

On a serious note - How is that little giant?[/quote]

[quote name='eude' post='803986' date='Apr 12 2010, 06:38 PM']+1

Yup, interested to hear your opinions too.
I'm looking to move up from my LittleMark250 to something with more wattage, but it needs to sound good, or at least be very transparent, and be cheap.
Currently thinking about a Terror Bass, or perhaps a MB F1 if I can get one cheap enough, but hadn't considered the Little Giant...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

So far, the LG1000 comes highly recommended. I'm using it live all this week in a 12 piece band, so it's getting a workout. I'm only using it with one 8ohm Genz cabinet at the moment, so I'm only pulling something like 320w, but it's very clean and hifi like the old Trace amps. I actually tested both (350 & 1000) Little Giants in the shop and the 350 sounded a little drier. I guess the added "fruitiness" comes from the increased headroom on the 1000, but it sounds great with one cab or two. In essence, I'm getting virtually the same power with two 8ohm cabs as I would with the Genz Benz, so it's no loss not running with 4ohm cabinets. That is unless you're desperate to hear what 1000w of heart-stopping bass power sounds like!

The other thing is the price. Dave Ryan at Electro is doing these new for £249. I'm really impressed with it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='804729' date='Apr 13 2010, 11:54 AM']I tested the Bass Terror and it's filthy! In a good way...if you like some tubey gain the Terror is perfect.

There is a great F1 comparison video here by talkbass amp/cab expert Kjung:

[url="http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?client=mv-google&v=-eUrmYZlSnY"]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F...p;v=-eUrmYZlSnY[/url]

If you want crisp clear bass, giving you masses of volume in a tiny well made package, I cannot see many amps that come close. Some of them do state more wattage, but markbass, and recently TC, are probably the only amp companies making micros that are honest with ratings.

Personally, I love the little mark 2/3. Slightly warmer, still precise and clear, very loud. I still want an f1 though.[/quote]

Thanks man!
Link didn't work, but I found the right one >> [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUrmYZlSnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUrmYZlSnY[/url]
Very useful and now I'm even more convinced I should be sticking with MarkBass and getting an F1...

Cheers,
Eude

Got bored this morning so took some more piccies of the rig and basses. From left to right:

1981 USA Fender Precision Special (an ex Beedster!). Burgundy. Note the tool fitted behind the body (his name isn't really Harry!).
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 1995, Vintage Sunburst. Fitted with a Bartolini pick-up.... this baby really screams!!
Markbass TA 503 head with Alesis 3060 Compressor and Korg DT1000. Markbass 106HR Cabinet.
Westone Thunder 1-A. First bass I owned.
Sandberg California PM4 custom heavy relic. 'Dear Old Blighty'.
Ovation Applause electro-acoustic bass with serious fret sprout (must get round to a re-fit soon!).

[

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='eude' post='804819' date='Apr 13 2010, 01:04 PM']Thanks man!
Link didn't work, but I found the right one >> [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUrmYZlSnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUrmYZlSnY[/url]
Very useful and now I'm even more convinced I should be sticking with MarkBass and getting an F1...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Whoops thats what Iphones do for me..... Im suprised how much I like Markbass, seen as though I tend to like a bit of dirt in my tone, but the markbass amps sound so good without any pedals or anything, I just had to get one.

The best thing Ive heard with the Markbass is a Stingray...perhaps because EB had a fair amount of input with the Markbass amps, (they are ex-Musicman amps I do believe).

[quote name='Higgie' post='804856' date='Apr 13 2010, 01:36 PM']Apologies for the crap quality, I took this with my Blackberry:

These cabs just arrived, thanks Gareth![/quote]

Woah, you got that sorted quick!

Thats an absolute chocolate beast.

Hope you enjoy them.

PS...I never tried stacking them with the bottom casters still on....im a bit wary sometimes.....is it working out ok?

Due to moving abroad, selling all my amps and not trusting Ryanair with any of my basses im now on this rig -

no amp, no cable just a clip on tuner and the bass!
I have obtained today a Danelectro mini battery powered amp which I will use as a headphone amp for now!

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' post='804916' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:33 PM']Due to moving abroad, selling all my amps and not trusting Ryanair with any of my basses im now on this rig -

no amp, no cable just a clip on tuner and the bass!
I have obtained today a Danelectro mini battery powered amp which I will use as a headphone amp for now![/quote]

Good idea. I pretty much just plug mine into the mic preamp onto my computer lolz.

[quote name='tombboy' post='804887' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:05 PM']Got bored this morning so took some more piccies of the rig and basses. From left to right:

1981 USA Fender Precision Special (an ex Beedster!). Burgundy. Note the tool fitted behind the body (his name isn't really Harry!).
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 1995, Vintage Sunburst. Fitted with a Bartolini pick-up.... this baby really screams!!
Markbass TA 503 head with Alesis 3060 Compressor and Korg DT1000. Markbass 106HR Cabinet.
Westone Thunder 1-A. First bass I owned.
Sandberg California PM4 custom heavy relic. 'Dear Old Blighty'.
Ovation Applause electro-acoustic bass with serious fret sprout (must get round to a re-fit soon!).[/quote]
Love those old Precision Specials - 'wish I hadn't broken mine (and then sold it)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='804904' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:25 PM']Woah, you got that sorted quick!

Thats an absolute chocolate beast.

Hope you enjoy them.

PS...I never tried stacking them with the bottom casters still on....im a bit wary sometimes.....is it working out ok?[/quote]

I only did that to get the photo, but yes I have the casters on the bottom one and then the top one just sits on the top. I'll only use the casters for transporting them and will take them off when gigging them...

[quote name='Higgie' post='805301' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:19 PM']I only did that to get the photo, but yes I have the casters on the bottom one and then the top one just sits on the top. I'll only use the casters for transporting them and will take them off when gigging them...[/quote]

Good plan :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='804457' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:13 AM']The Bass Terror is too warm and dirty I think for this. A good amp for the money but its more of a rockers/blues amp.

Transparent, crisp and clear = Markbass F1 or LM2/3.[/quote]

Don't forget the LMK... Handy having two channels if you switch between upright and bass guitar

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='806574' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:44 PM'][
my heavy but lush trace rig ,
just need to get a 6000 head to power thee cabs separately!!!!!!![/quote]

Thanks for letting me borrow this awesome rig while I was waiting for mine to show up John! Monstrous sound!

[quote name='Alastair' post='778608' date='Mar 18 2010, 03:08 PM']Jaysus, almost ashamed to "show off" my rig in here... :)

See below...[/quote]

Nothing to be ashamed of, that's a rig that is held in high tonal esteem round these here parts! The MarkBass LM + Aguilar GS/DB112 combo is a sound to behold!

• 2 weeks later...