Why become a member? ×

Strings

Girl_from_mars

I have been playing the bass for years and years on and off but never got "technical" about it. I was given an old 1970s Gibson EB3 copy (Antoria) found in my uncle's attic and my mum sourced a big old 1970s Ohm amp, which her work colleague used to use to gig with back in the day and off I went at age 13 with my bass lessons at school. I'm now 28 and have played on and off in bands. 4 years ago my Mum purchased me a new Yamaha RBX374 which I love. It was so much nicer to play than than the old bass. When I switch between the two, the difference in strings is clear- the old one has thinner ones and I find it more difficult plucking quickly. With the Yamaha, I get blisters so easily on plucking fingers but the sound is more solid. As I'm a little lazy and lacking in knowledge, I have never changed the strings on my Yamaha. Now I'm recording at the weekend, the producer advised me to bring some strings. Rotosounds he said would be fine and affordable, and that given my comments to him on the song we're recording, I needed to be driving more of the sound from my plucking hand. I planned to go into a guitar shop before Sunday to purchase them but I'm sh*t scared of these places. They are usually run by conceited tw*ts. Being a girl too, they just assume you're stupid. Any pearls of Wisdom for me before I set off to locate soime strings? Also, I'm in NW London so if anyone can recommend a non tw@tty guitar shop, even better! Cheers :)

Bass Gallery in Camden, is quite possibly your best bet for all things bass in London. Rotosound are a good string IMO. Probably best off with a set of 40-100 gauge, or if you're like me, 45-105's. I also use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys in 45-105, as they seem to keep the brightness for a bit longer. D'addario XL's are worth a punt as well. None are these are too expensive, possibly in the £15-18 range. :)

Nige

Unfortunately, strings are a very personal thing, so you'll get as many recommendations as there are contributors to the thread. For a headstart, check out this old pinned thread on string types:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=660"]What strings should I purchase?[/url]

For what it's worth, I've got different strings on all my basses (some roundwound, some flatwound, some halfwound, all different brands and gauges!), because they suit those particular basses and what I want to do with them. But, like yorick says, D'Addario XL is a good starting point without breaking the bank.

[quote name='Girl_from_mars' post='937160' date='Aug 26 2010, 02:07 PM']I planned to go into a guitar shop before Sunday to purchase them but I'm sh*t scared of these places. They are usually run by conceited tw*ts. Being a girl too, they just assume you're stupid. Any pearls of Wisdom for me before I set off to locate soime strings? Also, I'm in NW London so if anyone can recommend a non tw@tty guitar shop, even better! Cheers :rolleyes:[/quote]

Buy online, problem solved. Both Stringbusters and Strings Direct usually get strings to you next day. Order soon today and you should have them in time for the weekend :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='937189' date='Aug 26 2010, 02:42 PM']Buy online, problem solved. Both Stringbusters and Strings Direct usually get strings to you next day. Order soon today and you should have them in time for the weekend :)[/quote]

Just bought some bass boomers off strings direct. Great service and a pretty good price. GHS Bass boomers are my strings, 100-45's. Cant stand rotosound though

[quote name='Girl_from_mars' post='937160' date='Aug 26 2010, 02:07 PM']I'm in NW London so if anyone can recommend a non tw@tty guitar shop, even better! Cheers :rolleyes:[/quote]
:lol: The other option is using an online stockist like Stringbusters. I'd ask the producer what he's looking for. I agree with the comments about such things being personal. I use flatwounds and heavy ones too but a lot of players like a lighter gauge and roundwound seem to be the most popular. Rotosound are good so I'd stick with them if the producer has mentioned them. If you like the lighter gauge try something like

[url="http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=RS66LC"]http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=RS66LC[/url]

And good luck with the session :)

I've used DR Hi-Beams on my Jazz although I prefer D'Addario XLs sonically, and I've also used La Bella flats on my P-Bass but it's currently strung with D'Addario Chome flats. Strings matter but not as much as other things I think, I know what I like and what I don't but I don't put as much emphasis on them as other things.

I`m firmly in the Rotosound camp, tho do prefer them when they`ve been played in a bit. It sounds like your producer understands how you want to sound, so I`d say try the Rotos for the recording. I`d advise getting both regular and heavy gauge, there is quite a bit of difference between them, regular to me sound great on their own, but lack that huge holding down bottom end, whereas the heavies provide this nicley, but don`t sound so great on their own.
In view of your comments abt plucking thin strings, heavies may be the ones for you as well. Blisters, but results - u have to suffer fro your art.

Call me an old cynic but if a producer is suggesting string brands than I'd hazard a guess he's going for the only ones he's heard of :)

Rotosounds have been around for ages & remain probably the best known strings amongst people who don't actually play bass.

That's not to say there's anything intrinsically wrong with Rotos but they are a bit of an 'acquired taste' IMHO.

For a really good balance of price, feel & sound then a light(ish) set of D'Addarios are hard to beat for a good balanced feel & sound.

Personally I prefer Elixirs but they are expensive & some people don't get on with the coated feel.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='938545' date='Aug 28 2010, 12:07 AM']And if you ever play with a plectrum, the coating gets worn and frayed pretty quickly.[/quote]

It does, but it doesn't seem to effect the sound, all the gunge that the coating keeps out comes from the fingers not the pick

I would also suggest getting them on line. Stringsdierct are the place i use and the strings normally come next day.

Saying that, i get the feeling that while you may be able to re string them you may also need to do a set up. Especially if you get strings that are a different tension or gauge. In this case i would go to the Gallery (call them first though) and get them to do a basic setup at the same time as they put the new strings on.
Evne if you get the strings on line it might be worth getting a set up done if this is the first time you've changed strings on it. You might end up with a much nicer playing bass.

IMHO of course.

You will see from the responses that there is no agreement about strings amongst bassplayers at all.

I have spent years looking for my personal favourite strings.

My favs are:

Flats: Tomastik Infeld (TI)
Rounds: DR Sunbeams

This is no help to you whatsoever. As to why I like them, well flats to me feel the same and so for tone I think the TIs have the edge. They have nore range than other flats and you can get a very decent upright tone from them on acoustic bass guitars. The DR Sunbeamsare nickel and so they are not as bright as stainless steel. They seem to me to last longer and generally decay in frequency range at a slow rate. I absolutely adore the feel of these strings. Put them on a real cheapo bass and they turn it into a playable bass. I have these strings on a fretted and fretless basses and just adore them.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME. No-one else will agree.

It would be good to break it down into a category that we could help with. If you said you hate string noise, or you like to bend strings or you love tension or you like rounds but don't like them over-bright then we might be able to help. As much info as you can give will help.

Good luck : )
Davo