Why become a member? ×

Yolanda Charles bass

tom1946

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar-/120611824592?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-Fender-Precisio...ents_Guitars_CV[/url]

Never seen one with half a P pickup before?

She any good?

That's a highly figured piece of maple for a Fender bass, I'd be interested to know if the Fender experts think the neck is Fender and original?

The x1 Jazz + x0.5 Precision pup seems an intriguing mod' I'd like to know the rational (and how it works) behind that. If it is wired in then its obviously intended to beef up the D G strings but I'm just not sure how that would pan out or (and this is my guess) is it just a Jazz pup and the 1/2 P pup is just to fill in the offending space!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='933385' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:58 AM']....Yolanda's been an active session player for years & her own band's supporting Level 42 on their upcoming tour, so it's a reasonable assumption that she can play a bit....[/quote]
She has also played in Robbie Williams and Paul Weller's bands.

She's in the same boat as Stuart Zender when he left Jamiroquai. They're both fantastic players but their own projects are not as successful as their playing talent deserves.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='933460' date='Aug 23 2010, 11:12 AM']The x1 Jazz + x0.5 Precision pup seems an intriguing mod' I'd like to know the rational (and how it works) behind that. If it is wired in then its obviously intended to beef up the D G strings but I'm just not sure how that would pan out or (and this is my guess) is it just a Jazz pup and the 1/2 P pup is just to fill in the offending space![/quote]
Why not ask - it's either Ms Charles or a close acquaintance selling the bass, or I doubt they'd be offering a signature!

I don't think that neck looks the same age as the rest of the bass. Finish on the headstock front looks a bit orange-peel, too - I'd say it's a replacement.

J.

She's a fantastic player, and very polite and pleasant.

She usually does a bit of a tutorial spot at Bass Day UK, although last year she ended up outside the door of the main auditorium, which was a bit of a strange decision - probably not her choice.

She has an amazing 60's Jazz in sonic blue with a matching headstock (may be CS, never got that close), and i've not seen her with a Precision since i saw her play with Weller in late90's at the Apollo.

I'm unsure what the benefit of the pickup arrangement is. I like the suggestion of the dummy coil thing.

The Neck looks a little out of place, but you still do see ultra figured bits of maple on even lowly Mexican Strats and Teles, so it's not unheard of.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='933576' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:05 PM']The Neck looks a little out of place, but you still do see ultra figured bits of maple on even lowly Mexican Strats and Teles, so it's not unheard of.[/quote]

Agreed that you can get figured Fenders (even on recent cheapy stuff) but I've rarely seen one like that on a late 70's P bass and it looks heavily lacquered (tinted) and shiny in comparison to the body wear.

The half Precision pickup isn't the mod. The mod is that the other half has been replaced by the jazz pickup. My guess is that this is a DIY job and the half pickup was left (maybe disconnected?) rather than getting into repair work in order to fill the hole.

Tis being discussed here also:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99746[/url]

Definitely not a an old neck, and not the original scratchplate either I wager....late 70's were black!

Si

[quote name='Bassassin' post='933514' date='Aug 23 2010, 12:09 PM']Why not ask - it's either Ms Charles or a close acquaintance selling the bass, or I doubt they'd be offering a signature![/quote]

Looks like it is Yolanda herself as her married name is "Bould" and eBay Id "dabouldz".

She is an awesome player and great vocalist, (both at the same time.....).
She is one of the most approachable pro player I have met, (along with Dave Marks)