Why become a member? ×

Unusual Gig Locations

twowheeledwriter

[quote name='lowdown' post='931514' date='Aug 20 2010, 11:52 PM']On top of a mountain called Mount Kent in the Falkland Islands.
You had to get up there by helicoptor..[/quote]

You big Jessie! Pete had to drive up! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Tinman' post='929897' date='Aug 19 2010, 03:02 PM']Played a gig in the main office of the Radar Station on the top Of Mount Kent in the Falklands. They had to move all the computer desks to one side.
If that wasn't particularly unusual in itself, the drive up and down the mountain certainly was :)[/quote]

I wasn't playing on it, but i recently lit Professor Green in a random little shack, in a travellers' site under the westway for a showcase / album launch.
We had extra guys turn up afterwards to ensure the gear got on the van quickly after the gig...

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='lowdown' post='931514' date='Aug 20 2010, 11:52 PM']On top of a mountain called Mount Kent in the Falkland Islands.
You had to get up there by helicoptor..
The gig was in side a load of giant containers welded together to make some kind of accomadation.
In fact the gig was at three different mountains and they all look the same [ all welded together]

Garry[/quote]

I've done that gig too! & Alice, & Byron.

We did a birthday gig in one of the high walkways over Tower bridge a couple of years ago.
Nightmare get in as we had to wheel or carry all the gear on to the bridge as you cant park. Then up in a lift that doesn't have a call button so we had to keep phoning someone to bring the lift down. This was all going on while the caters were also fighting over the lift.

It was so narrow up there (plus we had to leave a gap for the caterers) that we ended up putting the guitar combos on top of each other to form a column.
Plus my rig was on its side with the PA desk and amp on it.
There was also a DJ there but as you can see, there was no dance floor.

Oh yeah, and the organisers had set up the food etc in a room on the opposite side of the bridge so we hardly got to see anyone all night.

We've also done three gigs at the USAF exhibition dome/hanger at Duxford. Terrible acoustics.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='932635' date='Aug 22 2010, 11:53 AM']You big Jessie! Pete had to drive up! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just been thinking - 2 of the mountains we went up on 'birds', the 3rd was in a BV,
Which might have been Mt Kent [this was in the 90's] my memory is a bit vague!
So after trips in BV's - i think i can kick the Jessi tag into oblivion.. :)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='933612' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:24 PM']Done that trip 7 times......
Only did it for the 4 days on Acsension Islands. :)

Garry[/quote]
Coincidentally - the same amount of times as me!
Last time i went was last year, the stop-off at Ascension is only for refueling etc now, it's barely a 90 min stay.

Not terribly exciting...

In the colonnade bit of Tamworth Town Hall

In a functioning barn - while we were soundchecking, the farmer's wife lifted the hatch into the chicken run just by the stage and got two chicken eggs out, which she gave to us. Jolly nice they were too.

Did a gypsy wedding at Blists Hill, where the recent Victorian Pharmacy series was filmed.

• 5 years later...

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1282216240' post='929630']
This was said about the first Lesbian wedding I played at....... the pictures would have been very disappointing.... as we were with the cliental
[/quote] Seriously, was that intended to be offensive ?

Wedding at [url="http://www.lustyglaze.co.uk/corporate/"]lusty glaze beach[/url] in Newquay. Only way to get gear from car park to venue is one hundred and thirty odd deep concrete steps. Takes each band member about 5 trips to get all gear down they are too narrow to haul a lot in one go. Then do it all again at end of night after driving there on same day. Then band leader insists on us all going out clubbing after and finally get to bed at 5am next morning. Never ever again unless they provide roadies or sherpas.

[quote name='D-Shap' timestamp='1465143398' post='3065565']
Seriously, was that intended to be offensive ?
[/quote]
Well, nobody else seems to think so :D

We played the evening do of a ladies' civil partnership once, it was brilliant. Great audience and you've never seen a happier happy couple.

We're playing a house party in a few weeks. It's actually an office summer ball and the owner of the company in question has a massive house in the country with swimming pool, BBQ, Tiki bar in the back garden etc and that's where we are playing. The workforce is fairly young (under 30) so I'm expecting a fun night. In my mind I'm imagining US teen movie frat party scenes a la American Pie. I might be disappointed...

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1282216915' post='929651']
Many years ago Fairbourne railway station (the one at the end, in the estuary!) with the tide coming in (how will we get our gear out?) & then the drunken singer decides to start throwing fireworks at the audience!!!

[/quote]

Never saw this thread at the time, which is a pity because the Fairbourne railway was created by my stepfather and built by him and a large team of volunteers, and in those days (i.e. "many years ago" as at 2010) he still owned and operated it.