Why become a member? ×

Rees Basses

merello

yea, it could weigh as much as a feather and make me sound like lemmy for all I care, I still wouldn't play it...Is it just me or is the cut away on the lower horn actually deeper than the neck? The neck seems to hand into the cut away >.> Also, loving the simply brilliant MS Paint job on that website :)

In all seriousness, sounds like it would sound quite nice, every korina bodied instrument I've played has sounded at least good, if not great...And for a lot of people light weight is a must. Plus seymour duncan do make some pretty damn fine pickups, so it probably does sound good! I'd actually quite like to try one, just too see if the sound makes up for the looks :rolleyes:

Edited by SignsOfDelirium_bassist

I don't know if it's just a bad photo but the closeup on the bridge shows that the smoothness of the wood and the paint job maybe isn't all that...erm...

Mind you, that's not the thing that got my attention the most... that award would go to Dave Mitchell-Jones who said that "the tone of the bass is amazing, very rich and bright"... what? through an Ashdown? Also loving the fact that the amp in the background has most of its knobs missing...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='merello' post='924283' date='Aug 13 2010, 07:25 PM']Anyone got experience of these?
[url="http://www.rees-electric-guitars.com/"]Rees[/url]
Really good write up in this months BGM.

Allegedly very light.[/quote]

I tried this bass at a guitar show last year and was quite impressed - very light,SD pickup,great neck shape and balanced well.
At the time was looking for a bass to use after a shoulder/arm injury and thought this might do the trick.
Just could n't get past the aesthetics though, which probably shows how shallow I am!
Think Rees are based near Cambridge - the guy on the stand at the show said I could go to see them made and
they would build a bass to my requirements, which at the time would have cost around £600 - not a bad price really?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='924711' date='Aug 14 2010, 10:22 AM']This one?

A bit better but it still looks like a 3rd year woodwork project.

J.[/quote]

I've had a look at the website and it reads like a 3rd year English project. One of the animations has a blue background which looks like a sheet that's just come out of its packet.

The icing on the proverbial cake is the [url="http://www.rees-electric-guitars.com/index.html"]Contact Us[/url] page. It shows Mr Rees himself in front of a pair of curtains in (presumably) his front room.

No doubt the BGM piece will make more people go to the website, but it's all poor to say the least.....

Edited by 7string

• 4 months later...

TBH Im less bothered about the quality of the website or the fact his photos are done in the living room, the question is whether the DIY ethic re: net presence affects the build or playability of the basses; which judging by the write-ups as a whole (inc. the range of guitars) may well not be the case.

As to the visual impact of the basses, well I'm not fond of the 4s but I reckon the 5bass looks different in a good way and I'm all for that, plus it ticks a lot of personal boxes (through-body stringing, single/MM pick-up config etc.).

So has anyone played a 5bass who can comment on comfort, sounds, build quality etc?

[quote name='merello' post='924283' date='Aug 13 2010, 06:25 PM']Anyone got experience of these?
[url="http://www.rees-electric-guitars.com/"]Rees[/url]
Really good write up in this months BGM.

Allegedly very light.[/quote]

I'd have a problem paying more that a couple of hundred quid for a bass that looks worse (styling and finish quality) than the basses I built myself back in the day.