Why become a member? ×

Time for a change... John Deacon.

garethox

I hold him as one of my influences because of his style and the songs he wrote while he was in Queen, i would never say he was a nob because i havent met him but from what i've read in Queen's biography he was definately the quiet kind considerate one of the group.
as for not rejoining Queens ashes...
he never would of done because he officially retired from music in 1991-92 when Freddie died... i never would of seen him doing anything major after that cos it hit him really hard.

Edit: Just to add nice thread :)

Edited by teen t-shirt

[quote name='JTUK' post='908586' date='Jul 28 2010, 07:52 PM']OMG... nope, I'll not even bother :)

If he refused to rejoin Queen as the tribute act, then that is the best thing he ever did.

I can't believe Rogers did it.. what a comedown, IMV
is this what you are talking about..?[/quote]

Nope, just in general really.

I don't think he's a nob... that's just a nod to the 'War and Peace' effort the Macca thread is becoming! I think he is a solid, extremely capable bassist who is comparable in style to Macca i.e. he is melodic and plays to the songs needs rather than his own.
He also wrote one of the most recognisable basslines ever in 'Another One Bites The Dust'. He seems a fairly ordinary chap and pretty decent along with it, plus he once played a Buzzard (even though it was a Warwick!) :rolleyes:
I think he kept his dignity by not rejoining what was obviously not Queen and going out on the road with them.

John gets a wacky, Macca thumbs aloft from me!

Edited by garethox

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='908588' date='Jul 28 2010, 07:55 PM']I hold him as one of my influences because of his style and the songs he wrote while he was in Queen, i would never say he was a nob because i havent met him but from what i've read in Queen's biography he was definately the quiet kind considerate one of the group.
as for not rejoining Queens ashes...
he never would of done because he officially retired from music in 1991-92 when Freddie died... i never would of seen him doing anything major after that cos it hit him really hard.

Edit: Just to add nice thread :)[/quote]
Great bassist, wrote some very simple yet extremely effective basslines, and some great songs as well.

A big influence on my bass-playing.

Such a great bass player, 'Killer Queen' has one of the busyest but still subtle bass parts ever!

As for not rejoining queen, he spoke out about when Brian and Roger did 'We are the Champions' with Robbie Williams saying something along the lines of 'They cant replace Freddie' and that he didn't think Robbie did a very good job of the song. So I think he feels the real Queen is only with the four of them and not with a guest vocalist, obviously the Freddie tribute concert was an exception.

Freddie was unique, there will never be anyone like him. John did the right thing not touching Queen with Rodgers. I knew it would end up being a farce with them doing a Paul Rodgers greatest hits turn. Strewth. :)

As for his bass playing he was brilliant, always right in the pocket. Never over playing, never underplaying.

[quote name='garethox' post='908597' date='Jul 28 2010, 08:06 PM']Nope, just in general really.

I don't think he's a nob... that's just a nod to the 'War and Peace' effort the Macca thread is becoming! I think he is a solid, extremely capable bassist who is comparable in style to Macca i.e. he is melodic and plays to the songs needs rather than his own.
He also wrote one of the most recognisable basslines ever in 'Another One Bites The Dust'. He seems a fairly ordinary chap and pretty decent along with it, plus he once played a Buzzard (even though it was a Warwick!) :)
I think he kept his dignity by not rejoining what was obviously not Queen and going out on the road with them.

John gets a wacky, Macca thumbs aloft from me![/quote]
But if I'm to be serious, I'll go along with the general sentiment of this post. Used to be a Queen fan and although I can't say he was ever a particular influence on me I'm certainly not going to diss his playing or character. Solid bloke doing what a bass player is there to do (when I find out what that actually is I'll complete this post properly).

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='908711' date='Jul 28 2010, 10:26 PM']not a bad bassist, wrote some good songs but very dodgy shorts!
You wouldn't see macca in such a pair!

[/quote]
:) TBH though the entire bad weren't renowned for their sense of style in the clothing department.

Total Legend. Nob doesn't even exist in the arena of John Deacon.

Love his playing, throughout his 'Queen' career.

And I was very, very happy to see he hadn't joined in with the 5ive, Robbie or Paul Rodgers collaborations.

A [u]great[/u] Bassist in the very truest sense of the word, served the tune, sometimes led the tune (Dragon Attack anyone? Another One Bites the Dust?) and for the whole lead the engine of a fantastic, explosive, if somewhat ultra-camp band.

Still a massive influence on my playing, and although I don't listen to Queen as much as I did, I still revisit the albums I have when I need to hear that Deacy sound.

Also, still want an all black and a natural/tortie Precision bass...

Can't say more than I totally admire the guy for all his acheivements, his playing, and his decision to walk away once the Voice of Queen had left the building.

Although, I wish something would have come to fruition with George Michael, that [i]could[/i] have worked.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='908723' date='Jul 28 2010, 10:51 PM']Total Legend. Nob doesn't even exist in the arena of John Deacon.

Love his playing, throughout his 'Queen' career.

And I was very, very happy to see he hadn't joined in with the 5ive, Robbie or Paul Rodgers collaborations.

A [u]great[/u] Bassist in the very truest sense of the word, served the tune, sometimes led the tune (Dragon Attack anyone? Another One Bites the Dust?) and for the whole lead the engine of a fantastic, explosive, if somewhat ultra-camp band.

Still a massive influence on my playing, and although I don't listen to Queen as much as I did, I still revisit the albums I have when I need to hear that Deacy sound.

Also, still want an all black and a natural/tortie Precision bass...

Can't say more than I totally admire the guy for all his acheivements, his playing, and his decision to walk away once the Voice of Queen had left the building.

Although, I wish something would have come to fruition with George Michael, that [i]could[/i] have worked.[/quote]

MB1. :)
....Dont think he trusted George Michael with that Careless Whisper? :rolleyes:

[quote name='garethox' post='908597' date='Jul 28 2010, 08:06 PM']He also wrote one of the most recognisable basslines ever in 'Another One Bites The Dust'.[/quote]

I liked his playing....But if he carried on up the scale on that track,
he would have wrote THE most recognisable bassline ever.
'Goodtimes'
:)

Good stuff though.

Garry

Can't fault him...grew up watching MANY Queen concerts at home that my dad watched on the good old VHS...
I think he did the best thing ever not joined Freddie-less Queen, it's a joke! It also shows he can move on and doesn't need Queen to do what he does.

[quote name='garethox' post='908597' date='Jul 28 2010, 08:06 PM']Nope, just in general really.

He also wrote one of the most recognisable basslines ever in 'Another One Bites The Dust'. He seems a fairly ordinary chap and pretty decent along with it, plus he once played a Buzzard (even though it was a Warwick!) :)

John gets a wacky, Macca thumbs aloft from me![/quote]

Haven't got a problem with most of that.

He was a solid enough player and he needed to be as the rest of the band didn't really help out there too much.
All in all, the main-stay in the band. Others had glossier parts to play but you can't build a castle on quicksand

Queen or McCartney aren't my cup of tea, but Deacon did a decent job.
I like the fact that he had enough about him to say that his versin of Queen started and ended with Freddie Mercury and he stood by that.
I would imagine that stand cost him a pretty penny as well

What about the bass part in the Deacon pened "you're my best friend"?
really tricky,but, in a way,subtle...(as some one else said)
having played in a Queen tribute act.....John is up there!! very,very good player.
if you're copying him, he makes you work hard!
Class act.
Btw, you know when you're in a band that is So sh#t hot tight and rehearsed so well you "know" every single note that well you can do it standing on you head without even the SLIGHTEST bit of bluff??...well I think, thats John Deacon world.

Edited by witterth

[quote name='garethox' post='908574' date='Jul 28 2010, 07:34 PM']Is he influenced by Macca or no? :)
Is he a nob or a bass god?
Successful songwriter - do you like his stuff?
Did he do the right thing not rejoining the ashes of Queen?

You decide![/quote]

Nope to Macca influence
Bass God - definitely!
Yep, very interesting songwriter...
Definitely, Queen is kinda embarassing since Freddie passed away...

[quote name='Spoombung' post='908969' date='Jul 29 2010, 10:09 AM']Is there a bass player in Queen?[/quote]
Oh dear, ....wake up Mr S !! :)
oh, but..
I suppose you mean nowadays though, dont you?
I think its some american session guy (name? I don't know) who fills John's shoes when they do gigs now.
Paul Rodgers?
(I think Fred would have approved BTW)