Why become a member? ×

How many basses?

jimbobothy

I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through loads of basses since they set their eyes on Basschat?

I joined in Feb (6 months ago) and just realised I've had really really bad GAS. I have been through a fretless Yamaha TRB 1005, a fretted Yamaha TRB 1005, a Warwick Jazzman 5 string, a Warwick Streamer Pro M 4 string and am currently settled with two different Warwicks.

Hopefully these two will be keepers and my GAS will stop, if it doesn't does anyone know the cure??

[quote name='jimbobothy' post='906110' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:45 PM']I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through loads of basses since they set their eyes on Basschat?

I joined in Feb (6 months ago) and just realised I've had really really bad GAS. I have been through a fretless Yamaha TRB 1005, a fretted Yamaha TRB 1005, a Warwick Jazzman 5 string, a Warwick Streamer Pro M 4 string and am currently settled with two different Warwicks.

Hopefully these two will be keepers and my GAS will stop, if it doesn't [u]does anyone know the cure[/u]??[/quote]

I don't know about a cure but the relevant link in my signature does offer some insight.

[quote name='jimbobothy' post='906263' date='Jul 26 2010, 02:53 PM']Yeah, I like the line 'Invest in your bass ability, not your bass collection', just need to get on and do it then!![/quote]

Taking a few lessons once in a while (to twig new ways of thinking about the instrument) and playing more diverse music styles (to further new thinking and expand one's repertoire of technique) would be two ways to make any bass sound better and more interesting.

Given the popularity of supportive bass playing amongst band leaders and other musicians, being a proficient jack-of-all-trades bassist may land one more gigs.

I pity bassists who pursue a narrow range of interests to the point where ignorance is largely vanquished--along with any sense of mystery in the music they make...

BassChat has cost me a fortune one way or another. The result is that I am now convinced that - having been through loads of different instruments - my favourite bass is a 4 string StingRay and, occasionally, a 5 string when required. Fender Precisions are also good. Anything fancier usually sounds a bit rubbish to me :)

Of course - I pretty much started out with the StingRay!

Edited by thepurpleblob

I don't really get bass gas - I started here with just a vintage stingray copy and then
bought a cij jazz off oldgit . Never needed anything else.
I have bought lots of books from people here though- I don't have a lot of practice time and reading a lot, and in depth is better than making no progress at all.

[quote name='dougal' post='907703' date='Jul 27 2010, 11:12 PM']I've always had GAS. I just think basschat has expedited the process.[/quote]
+1 to that.

Think I`ve always had it too - have finally got to the point where I`ve realised only a Fender Precision works for me (tho do like Rickies, but they`re way too expensive).

So have been sorting out my Precision collection, and getting them how I want them - with much help from Basschat.

Which is nice!

Listen the internet has meant access to bass suppliers and builders that we didn't know existed. This has opened up the market enormously. We are consuming capitalists. WE WANT MORE STUFF.

In reality IMVHO you need:

- decent fretted EBG
- decent fretless EBG (fusion, modern jazz)
- decent fretless ABG (URB sound)

This covers just about every scenario I can think of.

Davo

I like to look at it like this... I know I'll always be a Status player at the end of the day, so any other bass I try is entirely optional. I've always broken even overall on trades/buys/sells, so there's no harm in a bit of GAS and trying something new.

The interesting thing is that I've met loads of great people in my BC travels & that you always know there's a good network of help behind you.

What's the harm? Once you've found your nirvana, a bit of trading and speculating here and there does no harm at all. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='909020' date='Jul 29 2010, 11:16 AM']I like to look at it like this... I know I'll always be a Status player at the end of the day, so any other bass I try is entirely optional. I've always broken even overall on trades/buys/sells, so there's no harm in a bit of GAS and trying something new.

The interesting thing is that I've met loads of great people in my BC travels & that you always know there's a good network of help behind you.

What's the harm? Once you've found your nirvana, a bit of trading and speculating here and there does no harm at all. :)[/quote]

Mmmm..... need to try a Status bass.......